How do you like your cardio? (hold the mayonnaise) Watch

Poll: When running/jogging you usually...
...use the treadmill without an MP3 player (18)
18.75%
...use the treadmill with an MP3 player (41)
42.71%
...run outside without an MP3 player (12)
12.5%
...run outside with an MP3 player (25)
26.04%
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by esm)
I normally do 20 mins running at about 12km/hr can you give me an idea what I should change it to if I want to do HIIT? thx
thats what i used to do but its very ineffective compared to hiit if you wish to lose bodyfat. My HIIT workout is around 20 min. I use this which i found off a website and it works very well:

1 minute: 12 km/h (sprint)
1 minute: 5 km/h (recover)
1 minute: 12.5 km/h (sprint)
1 minute: 5 km/h
1 minute: 12.8 km/h
1 minute: 13.0 km/h
1 minute: 13.5 km/h
1 minute: 13.8 km/h
1 minute: 14 km/h
1 minute: 14.5 km/h
1 minute: 15 km/h
1 minute: 16 km/h
1 minute: 5 km/h (cool down)

warmup for 5 mins on a low speed and stretch before doing HIIT as you can easily pull a muscle as i found out.

Do hiit right in the morning before you have eaten anything as this is optimal fat burning time. I lost around 5kg a month doing this and it brought my bodyfat right down. Very useful for a six pack.

On my MP3 playlist i usually run to dance and bassline.
burningnun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDdNDt_S70
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Football.

To me the most boring thing in the world is running. I can't stand it.

When I get angry though I will go out and just run as far or as fast as I can till I get tired. Really does help relieve stress.

Of the above options I suppose treadmill with tunes.
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Second option please

I used to listen to George Carlin but he made me laugh too much that I couldn't run and had to switch him off

(Was also getting funny looks lol)
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Second option please

I used to listen to George Carlin but he made me laugh too much that I couldn't run and had to switch him off

(Was also getting funny looks lol)
I used to occasionally listen to some Carlin and found it pretty funny, then after about two years I downloaded some of his stuff again and found it to be extremely unfunny and arrogant. Specially some of his stuff on YouTube. I just didn't laugh or think anything her said was funny, period.
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
I used to occasionally listen to some Carlin and found it pretty funny, then after about two years I downloaded some of his stuff again and found it to be extremely unfunny and arrogant. Specially some of his stuff on YouTube. I just didn't laugh or think anything her said was funny, period.
I adore his work.

Shame about what recently happened :,(
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find that the wires of an MP3 player can be annoying.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
I adore his work.

Shame about what recently happened :,(
I got a huge George Carlin boxset from America. What recently happened? :eek:
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
I got a huge George Carlin boxset from America. What recently happened? :eek:
He died No crap.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steve2006)
thats what i used to do but its very ineffective compared to hiit if you wish to lose bodyfat. My HIIT workout is around 20 min. I use this which i found off a website and it works very well:

warmup for 5 mins on a low speed and stretch before doing HIIT as you can easily pull a muscle as i found out.

Do hiit right in the morning before you have eaten anything as this is optimal fat burning time. I lost around 5kg a month doing this and it brought my bodyfat right down. Very useful for a six pack.

Just a question... I do 12.8km/h for 30 secs then 7.5km/h for another 30 secs. Does that count as HIIT? Or should I do a minute fast then slower or 40 secs etc? The treadmills at my gym do have mixed settings so the speeds change for you automatically depending on what time you put in - eg. 6 mins results in 30 sec changes...
Jean-Paul Sartre
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
swimming, rowing machine, sprints, jump roping, plyometrics, and wrestling in itself is great cardio
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
He died No crap.
Aww, that's sad.
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

How many times a week did you do this, and did you diet and do weights?

Just curious.
steve2006
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by polka_dott)
Just a question... I do 12.8km/h for 30 secs then 7.5km/h for another 30 secs. Does that count as HIIT? Or should I do a minute fast then slower or 40 secs etc? The treadmills at my gym do have mixed settings so the speeds change for you automatically depending on what time you put in - eg. 6 mins results in 30 sec changes...
That is HIIT as you are changing speeds at intervals. I would keep it at a minute as it leaves adequate rest time but its up to you. As you keep doing it you can shorten the intervals and increase the rest speed. Thats good they have mixed settings. At my gym you have to change it manually so its a pain in the ass.

(Original post by Alive)
How many times a week did you do this, and did you diet and do weights?

Just curious.
I do HIIT 7 days a week every single morning. I follow a high protein diet and did weights 5 days a week. i consumed around 150g of protein daily. I usually did the cardio in the morning like at 8.00am then do the weights at around 5.00pm and have a low calorie protein shake after. I ate around 1500-2000 calories a day have cut out crisps, chocolate, cakes, fast food etc.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always thought I was doing interval training lol... that would explain when I first ever did it after a while my body did seem to change and I had less fat around my middle :rolleyes: but there wasn't a drastic change in weight.
Rob_dob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How can anyone run for a substantial amount of time without an MP3 player. Impossible:eek: Anyway to make my cardio bearable, I vary everything I do. I run different routes, vary my sessions ie straight running or Fartlek. I've even started to do some swimming to prevent myself from losing motivation. So variety is the key for me
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by polka_dott)

Longer rest periods and Consider shorter, faster sprints.
If you do HIIT right it should be incredibly hard and you will need the rest breaks. I like to use 2 sprint speeds, and alternate between 15seconds of complete all out, then 30s of a slightly slower pace
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At my gym you have to change it manually so its a pain in the ass.

I do HIIT 7 days a week every single morning. I follow a high protein diet and did weights 5 days a week. i consumed around 150g of protein daily. I usually did the cardio in the morning like at 8.00am then do the weights at around 5.00pm and have a low calorie protein shake after. I ate around 1500-2000 calories a day have cut out crisps, chocolate, cakes, fast food etc.
HIIT on a treadmill should = fail. If im sprinting full out im damned if i can cycle the speed down.

Thats a very intensive program. 1500cals on that amount of exercise sounds very low for a male.
steve2006
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my body doesnt go into starvation mode and i dont put the weight on during my rest days. Its always more than 1500. I would put it closer to 2000.

Its a pain doing it on a treadmill but ive got used to holding on the sides for dear life
fieryiceissweet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hiit =?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads