Yasmin2K8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
marry me?
hmmm I'll have to think about it

Also OP apart from what I have already mentioned, I highly recommend the jump rope - doing a few hundred everyday really does wonders for your whole lower body and your arms - and I find it does help with tonging of the whole legs.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just as easy to get some adjustable dumbbells and do some squats, deadlifts, weighted lunges, weighted step ups, etc and play about with them for 30mins a couple of times a week. Even unweighted versions (ie; bodyweight squats, lunges, stepups, etc) will be more effective than leg/hip raises and they can be done anywhere and without equipment.

Plus those sort of hip exercises can mess around with your posture and biomechanics if you solely do them without a balanced exercise regime.

Squats = Good.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
Sounds like you know what you're talking about!

Chocoholic knows everything about everything. no joke
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
Chocoholic knows everything about everything. no joke
:hmmm: If only i could pass my uni exams...
sunburnt_note
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys

I already do a lot of basic muscle toning exercises for my thighs (about half an hour every day - helps me warm up for dancing classes), so I'm not sure just increasing them is really an option.

It's a bit difficult to know what to do, because, although my diet's not stunning, I'm 7s 10lbs and 5'3'' and my waist's 24'' - so it's not I'm looking to lose weight or anything, it's just my damned thighs! I don't want to make them huge either. I might though, as some have suggested, take up running and squats

Also, just to be awkward, I'm allergic to horses :p:
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
I've already discussed it before. Compared to other exercises it is relatively inefficient for fat burning and very very inefficient for muscle building.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Looking at 'running general' you stand to burn at least double the amount of calories as you would 'horse riding general'. Even if you take the horse into a gallop, you're burning the same amount of calories as the average runner running slowly/average. Plus i doubt a horse could sustain a gallop for 1+ hours at a time, let alone the rider hold on for that length of time.

It really doesn't compare, horse riding is very inefficient for fat loss and muscle building. There is a reason why it's so low intensity, the beast does all of the hard work for you, you're simply holding on for the ride.

EDIT: Plus, for the average person horse riding and/or lessons, is far more expensive than more effective cardio and resistance alternatives.
you're obviously not a rider. the workout isnt all about galloping at top speed, u can do a lot of leg work just doing rising trots n varying speeds and maneuvers. jumping is also good, its all about discipline. u can do all sorta of stretches using a horse and work out ur muscles, u dont even need to be abl to gallop. its certainly not all about 'holding on' LOL
but i agree its fairly expensive if u dont hav th facilities, if u were lookin for a hobby as well as a workout then its probs better.

i dont doubt its probs not as efficient as running or lifting weights, but its gotta be more fun
Dreamy_whisper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dance teacher advised against jogging/running, bad for the knees.
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
haha jus read about th allergy! ridings probs a no go then! :P but gd luck with ur thighs LOL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm...I do Irish dance and that keeps my whole leg nice and toned. Maybe if you do that thing where you lie on one side, prop up you head on your hand and raise the top leg up and down for about 5 mins continuously...I can't remember what it's called dammit! but we do it as warmup at my classes so I guess it might help?
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sunburnt_note)
Sorry if something similar has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask your advice.

Basically, hard as I try, I cannot tone up my thighs. The front of them are very toned, but the sides are horrible, and the inner thigh won't tone either. It's not I don't do any exercise either - I do over 7 hours of dancing a week, including ballet, which you'd THINK would help, but no.

I've never taken up running in a big way, but would this help? It's so unfair that I already do a fair amount of exercise and my legs won't tone, and girls who don't do any at all have gorgeous thighs.
With 7 hours of dancing you should have gorgeous thighs, have you just started?

I'll write you a programme because i'm nice ;

To warm up, i suggest you jump rope, it works most of your legs and burns fat. Do 3/4 reps of 3 mins with 30 sec rests in between.

Squats and lunges are really great but make sure you know how to do them properly as it can damage your back and knees. do 3 reps of 15 making sure you go to failure (till you can't carry on) on the the last rep.

If your gym has a leg presser then do 3 reps of 15 on them too on a weight that you can handle, again working to failure on your last rep. Leg pressers work the gluts too, so i suggest that over squats or lunges.

Don't dop any excersies that work small muscle groups e.g the inner and outer thigh muscles on an abductor machine.

Instead work the big muscle groups like the quads theywill increase the firmness of your body and make it look better.

To work the quads Do 3 reps of 15 with any weight that you can handle on the leg extensions, again going to failure on the last rep.

Finally for cardio, you should do anything that you can do for a long time.
i.e 1 hour of jogging> 15 mins of running.
I suggest you work for 45 mins on an average intensity on a stepper, they work most of your leg muscles and the gluts and you can do them for ages.

Good luck
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adorlee)
you're obviously not a rider. the workout isnt all about galloping at top speed, u can do a lot of leg work just doing rising trots n varying speeds and maneuvers. jumping is also good, its all about discipline. u can do all sorta of stretches using a horse and work out ur muscles, u dont even need to be abl to gallop. its certainly not all about 'holding on' LOL
but i agree its fairly expensive if u dont hav th facilities, if u were lookin for a hobby as well as a workout then its probs better.

i dont doubt its probs not as efficient as running or lifting weights, but its gotta be more fun
You might get 'loads of leg work' but at the end of the day it isn't particularly beneficial. It is very unlikely you're going to build much if any muscle and you aren't going to burn many calories, both of which are key components of 'toning'. I have done a bit of riding in my time, while i did enjoy it i would hardly class it as a workout by any means.

As for stretches, you don't need a horse to do stretches.

It may be fun and a great hobby, but it is not a good strategy for toning, fitness and/or strength building, they're just slight auxiliary benefits. At the end of the day, if you want to tone, do proper resistance training and proper cardio, then factor in riding if you enjoy it in your spare time.
QI Elf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
Squats and running is your best bet. I never use to do squats before but then I took it up and its brilliant, you dont have to use heavy weights and dumbells at all, its more about the repetition and the act of the squat I find. I also go running a lot on the treadmill and running outside. Ive found a combination of squats, running and the stepper have given the best results and dare I say it I'm really happy with my thighs and derrière as it has given definite results.

Do you actually use anything to squat? Do you like hold on to anything aswell? Sorry for my ignorance!
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Has to be done
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
Do you actually use anything to squat? Do you like hold on to anything aswell? Sorry for my ignorance!

Well some girls prefer not to use anything, but that's no good, when building muscle resistance>rep. E.g 10 squats with 5kg > 100 squats with 0kg.
Repetition builds endurance, it's the resistance that builds muscle.
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)

Has to be done

That's fake.
Has to be done.
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just because she has bigger thighs than you
Liv~
Report 10 years ago
It's just as easy to get some adjustable dumbbells and do some squats, deadlifts, weighted lunges, weighted step ups, etc and play about with them for 30mins a couple of times a week. Even unweighted versions (ie; bodyweight squats, lunges, stepups, etc) will be more effective than leg/hip raises and they can be done anywhere and without equipment.

Plus those sort of hip exercises can mess around with your posture and biomechanics if you solely do them without a balanced exercise regime.

Squats = Good.
Amazing detailed info! definitely will try step ups.
I am doing squat. and "so-called" lunge. hee. .with the weight on hand and rising up and down ur thigh. ah i forgot the term
Will try to work and run more.. and do the stair climbing. i hope the flabby thighs..can fly.. fly away :cool:
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
Its ok lol I was exactly the same before. Yeah I use light dumbells about 6Kg on each hand and do squats with them just aiming for more reps than weights but I do also use a bar with very little weights on but Im told the bar weighs like 20kg itself so its not as if Im lifting nothing lol - as long as your only going for toning and not really wanting to build extra muscle mass like guys usually do - I would go with light weights and more reps.
saoirse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

the beast does all of the hard work for you, you're simply holding on for the ride.
That is BULL*****. Really annoys me when I see this kind of tripe....YOU try working three or four highly strung young horses in the school five days a week for six weeks and see how much weight has come off you at the end of it!
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)
Just because she has bigger thighs than you
No way lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads