What is the IB grade required for Oxbridge/Ivy League Universities? Watch

josepharthur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SunderX)
Was she at Homerton by any chance? A few years back it was an Education-only college that became an actual college, but had some trouble getting applicants. Some places even managed to get on Clearing one year .

I know a Mathematics student here who missed their offer but managed to get in with something like 34 points. However, under no circumstances should you think that this is a regular occurrence.
See, that would only happen at Mordor. Oxford knows its standard and would never let a course go on clearing.
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josepharthur)
See, that would only happen at Mordor. Oxford knows its standard and would never let a course go on clearing.
Mordor? That's what I call the CMS (Centre of Mathematical Studies) here. Way too many spikey gates and sprawling halls.

At least we're not the 'other' place though, god, the thought of it makes me retch :P
[m a a r i.]
Report 10 years ago
to get into ivy league universities can you not do the SAT but just do the IB diploma thing?
Leprechaun
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by [m a a r i.])
to get into ivy league universities can you not do the SAT but just do the IB diploma thing?
Not possible. SAT is required at all top US univs. The elite ones also ask for 3 SAT IIs (apart from Stanford, which is weird in this case). Generally speaking, your average GPA and SAT scores are more signifcant than you IB predicteds as the validity of these grades are paradoxically unpredicatable. For SAT, you should have achieved at least the 99th percentile (usually 2180+/2400).
Dr. Ofxo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Leprechaun)
Not possible. SAT is required at all top US univs. The elite ones also ask for 3 SAT IIs (apart from Stanford, which is weird in this case). Generally speaking, your average GPA and SAT scores are more signifcant than you IB predicteds as the validity of these grades are paradoxically unpredicatable. For SAT, you should have achieved at least the 99th percentile (usually 2180+/2400).
WRONG, some only ask for 2 SAT IIs, e.g. Yale, others don't want SAT IIs. However, most do.
Umbrella
Report 10 years ago
I got an offer of 41 (with 7 in HL French and Spanish and 6 in Hl English and History) from Jesus College cambridge to study French and Spanish.

one of my friends got an offer of 41 (with a 7 in HL history) from Christs, Cambridge, to study Social and Political Sciences.

Another friend got an offer of 40 to study Engineering...

Do not expect offers to be any lower than 40 as they probably won't be! Good luck!!!
Leprechaun
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Ofxo)
WRONG, some only ask for 2 SAT IIs, e.g. Yale, others don't want SAT IIs. However, most do.
My mistake. What I meat was people generally take 3 SAT II exams in case one doesn't go well. Although few demand 3 SAT IIs, it is generally expected that you take them - even for Yale.
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cheesemuncher)
I got an offer of 41 (with 7 in HL French and Spanish and 6 in Hl English and History) from Jesus College cambridge to study French and Spanish.

one of my friends got an offer of 41 (with a 7 in HL history) from Christs, Cambridge, to study Social and Political Sciences.

Another friend got an offer of 40 to study Engineering...

Do not expect offers to be any lower than 40 as they probably won't be! Good luck!!!
This is why you go to Oxford, where the offers are lower and the standards higher

Also, architecture-wise, Cambridge is dull dull dull. Oxford has got style. And in terms of nightlife, there is nothing to do in Cambridge after 7 pm.
angel_with_horns
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I should have taken a gap year and gone to oxford :P They would take me with 40 points for law. I think.
madchillie
Report 10 years ago
My offer for cambridge was 7,7,6 at higher and 38 points overall. My friend's was 41 points, and 7,7,6 but the subjects were specified in what she had to get the 7s in. I know someone who only had to get one 7 at higher, but I don't know what his overall points score was. Hope that helps!
*HeavenRain*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just out of curiosity, and because I have to start choosing the universities I'm going to apply to this year, does anyone think it's worth applying to Cambridge with 38 points and no 7s at higher level? I'm reapplying (having being pooled last year) from Oxford. I want to know whether I should even bother trying, as if there's no point, I don't want to automatically lose one out of five (potential) offers.
saved9901
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, I don't think so - sorry! Their typical offer is at least 38 points with 776 @ HL .
toothwort white
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can always ask. Wouldn't take much time anyway.
Aaroncr
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SunderX)
Rofl, the maximum score you can get in IB is 45.
And no, 35 points is not a standard offer either, at least for Oxford and Cambridge.

actually you could get a max of 52 points if you do Further Math..two kids art my school did that and both got 52/52..... lol....geniuses indeed. one ended up at harvard and then yale to study pure math and something else and the otherone at MIT to do the same but applied to computers.
cucumber sandwich
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Ivy League is like 38+ or something. They're more gay with extra curricular activities though
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cucumber sandwich)
I think Ivy League is like 38+ or something. They're more gay with extra curricular activities though
Nice way of putting it.
"CNN breaking news: Harvard comes out of the closet".
IBFlight745
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aaroncr)
actually you could get a max of 52 points if you do Further Math..two kids art my school did that and both got 52/52..... lol....geniuses indeed. one ended up at harvard and then yale to study pure math and something else and the otherone at MIT to do the same but applied to computers.
Technically yes, but no.
If you choose to take a seventh subject (which can btw be any subject, not only Further Maths), your official maximum points will still be 45, as you will receive a separate certificate for the extra subject you took.

At least this is how my IBC explained it to me.
Umbrella
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josepharthur)
This is why you go to Oxford, where the offers are lower and the standards higher

Also, architecture-wise, Cambridge is dull dull dull. Oxford has got style. And in terms of nightlife, there is nothing to do in Cambridge after 7 pm.
the only reason that the offers are lower is because the standards are lower!!! Cambridge is SO beautiful and oxford is essentially an industrial city and IT SUCKS!!!
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cheesemuncher)
the only reason that the offers are lower is because the standards are lower!!! Cambridge is SO beautiful and oxford is essentially an industrial city and IT SUCKS!!!
You must be kidding me. Oxford is not an industrial city. The architecture in Oxford is splendid and much more varied. In Cambridge you have a tiny pretty city centre and nothing else.
johannski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're all confusing me now:p: I'm trying to decide whether to apply for Cambridge (english) or Oxford (english and modern language) and every other comment trashes each school respectively :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads