money for uni Watch

x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
wooo lucky u
iv saved up about the same amount (well my parents have saved for me)
i may have to spend some of that on a new car for my dad tho after todays accident
n have 2 bank accounts already n a isa :blushing: do u think i need to open student account?

x
sqjlcunningham
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Well i was ok up until recently when i bought my Laptop! In two weeks i have to pay my first instalment of my Accomodation, and we wont get our loan until we start Uni!

I had saved a few K's. But it seems to be depleting ever so rapidly!!!
Im hopefully gonna get a job for like up to ten hours per week (2 shifts), and also join OTC which will provide me with an extra few pennies!
Mr_K_Dilkington
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which uni sqjlcunningham? - Im going to be joining the University of London OTC in October (hopefully!!!)
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
THREE WORDS

SAVE SAVE SAVE

and then save some more.

You will regret it otherwise.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
(Original post by sqjlcunningham)
and also join OTC which will provide me with an extra few pennies!

OTC?
ride_a_surfer
Report 10 years ago
well my accomadation is £5000 for a year and thats not even in london! its an absolute joke, my loan is not gonna cover that in anyway , so it looks like im gonna be working my ass off this summer to try and save up
Mr_K_Dilkington
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
OTC?
Officer Training Corps

(Original post by ride_a_surfer)
well my accommodation is £5000 for a year and thats not even in london! its an absolute joke, my loan is not gonna cover that in anyway , so it looks like im gonna be working my ass off this summer to try and save up
wtf are you paying that much for? I living in London and only spending around £3400 on accommodation
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
i seeeeee ty x

that does sound very expencive
are u like me n opted for expencive accomodation
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got £2000 saved, it was never earmarked for uni specifically, it's just money I have saved. It's only there to bail me out if I need it though - going to get by on loan and NHS bursary so far as possible.
Ivich
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm working full-time this summer, so when I combine the money from this with the savings I already have I hope to have a total of around £2500. But I'm going to have to use some of this to buy stuff in preparation for uni (books, household stuff etc.) which I haven't really taken into account.
buttons_andbeads
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did plan on saving, but it never really happened :rolleyes: My parents are paying my accommodation/tuition fees though and have said they will set up a bank account and pay money into that each month for the basics. So I'll basically have a loan, and hopefully a job to get me through.
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a few thousand saved, not much. My parents are paying for my accommodation and I'm getting a small allowance every few weeks but not much, I'm planning on keeping my costs down as low as possible, Im currently living on about £40 a week and it's not bad at all, think I can get it down to about £25 without drink, but I tend not to drink much anyways and I prefer pubs over nightclubs.

I'm trying to save for my masters though...because I could end up faced with $180,000 worth of Fee's if I do the masters I want to do. 0_o
pap_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reilly)
...because I could end up faced with $180,000 worth of Fee's if I do the masters I want to do. 0_o
180000$???:eek: :eek2: what kind of masters is that????
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dont worry, I didnt have any money saved for uni! It ovbiously depends on your financial situation at the time, if you're lucky enough to have generous parents then thats fantastic and you can get by without any savings. Although, if you have the opportunity to make money over the summer in time for uni then it would help a lot, just dont stress over having no savings.
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pap_)
180000$???:eek: :eek2: what kind of masters is that????

its a double award MFA/MBA at NYU....fees in the US are absurd and I have to pay for double the tuition because its two degrees at the end
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha Look Its Claire From Neath!!
couture_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its a double award MFA/MBA at NYU....fees in the US are absurd and I have to pay for double the tuition because its two degrees at the end
wow, thats crazy!!! i hope to do a masters in the states... in would be a good experience!'

Have you looked into scholarships though?
pap_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh I see now!!!Its a top of the top masters but still ridiculously expensive...Its a hard choice but I wish u make it
clo-clo1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will have about £1200 saved by the time I go, if I part save/part spend my wages. I reckon nearer the time though I'll save it all.
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm gonna mooch off my parents. I've got about £2000 lying around. Not working this summer, I've got too many things I want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads