How much do you spend? Watch

Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flippanetic)
I'm sure you will need paper dictionaries as well, but wordreference.com is really good for French, and has a German online dictionary as well now.
Thanks!
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quistis)
St. Hilda's force you to buy £120 of meal credit a term, and at the end of the academic year, any meal credit you haven't spent is just taken by the college, NOT refunded. But you can spend the £120 however you wish - Hall sells wine and snacks as well as the usual three meals a day, so if you only ever eat breakfast in there, like I did, it's easy enough to use up the £120 by stocking up on plonk and chocolate.

Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning this. Can I ask, does that just go onto your battels, to be paid at the beginning of each term, or..?

(Also, out of interest, which secondary school did you go to? )
Quistis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning this. Can I ask, does that just go onto your battels, to be paid at the beginning of each term, or..?

(Also, out of interest, which secondary school did you go to? )
Yes, it goes on battels, so is paid at the start of every term. This is actually a pain in the arse, as it means that you can't eat in Hall unless you've paid your battels/have credit left over from the previous term (but NOT previous year). If your student loan is ever a few days late, that's a real pain. Though this won't be a problem at the start of your first year - they give you a temporary meal card, with £10 credit on it. Whatever you spend on that is then taken off your £120 when you pay your battels.

I was at Maricourt from 11 until my GCSEs, but due to a combination of the school's bad A level results in my chosen subjects, and serious discipline issues (lots of disruption in lessons, and violence and bullying were dealt with badly; a fellow Year 7 student followed me home threatening to rape me, and he was only given a half-hour lunchtime detention; I once handed in a piece of homework late because my book fell out of my backpack, and I was given an evening detention. Fair and consistent, eh?), I chose to leave. So I did my A levels at King George V College in Southport, which is a state sixth form college, and which I loved. I was blissfully happy there, they treated us like adults, and going to school so far from home did wonders for my confidence and maturity. And at KGV, it wasn't uncool to be 'clever' or 'posh', so I actually managed to fit in and make friends. Sorry about the novel :p: Which school/s did you go to?
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, it goes on battels, so is paid at the start of every term. This is actually a pain in the arse, as it means that you can't eat in Hall unless you've paid your battels/have credit left over from the previous term (but NOT previous year). If your student loan is ever a few days late, that's a real pain. Though this won't be a problem at the start of your first year - they give you a temporary meal card, with £10 credit on it. Whatever you spend on that is then taken off your £120 when you pay your battels.

I was at Maricourt from 11 until my GCSEs, but due to a combination of the school's bad A level results in my chosen subjects, and serious discipline issues (lots of disruption in lessons, and violence and bullying were dealt with badly; a fellow Year 7 student followed me home threatening to rape me, and he was only given a half-hour lunchtime detention; I once handed in a piece of homework late because my book fell out of my backpack, and I was given an evening detention. Fair and consistent, eh?), I chose to leave. So I did my A levels at King George V College in Southport, which is a state sixth form college, and which I loved. I was blissfully happy there, they treated us like adults, and going to school so far from home did wonders for my confidence and maturity. And at KGV, it wasn't uncool to be 'clever' or 'posh', so I actually managed to fit in and make friends. Sorry about the novel :p: Which school/s did you go to?
I heard Hilda's food was among the best, but read a scathing review of it by someone called Ben something-or-other in the Cherwell, I think. The lack of kitchen provision, and limited funds (though my mum thinks it'll work out cheaper to cook for myself) wil probably mean I have to eat in Hall - I hope my student loans aren't late, ever!

Maricourt? I've only vaguely heard of that, and never met anyone from there. It sounds private (which would probably be why I don't know anyone who went there, apart from you :p:), but the behaviour makes me think state! ]

I went to St. Margaret's in Aigburth from 11-18 (Don't know if you've heard of it.) It was a lucky escape from my feeder schools, either Parklands, in Speke, or St. Benedict's in Garston (formerly St. John Almond's). I got into Margaret's through the entrance exam, and also got into Bluecoat, Liverpool College (scholarship), St. Edward's, Merchant Taylor's (scholarship), all MILES better schools, but my mum forced me to go to SMA because I could get there by only one bus journey, as opposed to three/four for the others.

Sorry for my essay in return - it was a trade-off! :p:
Quistis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard Hilda's food was among the best, but read a scathing review of it by someone called Ben something-or-other in the Cherwell, I think. The lack of kitchen provision, and limited funds (though my mum thinks it'll work out cheaper to cook for myself) wil probably mean I have to eat in Hall - I hope my student loans aren't late, ever!

Maricourt? I've only vaguely heard of that, and never met anyone from there. It sounds private (which would probably be why I don't know anyone who went there, apart from you :p:), but the behaviour makes me think state! ]

I went to St. Margaret's in Aigburth from 11-18 (Don't know if you've heard of it.) It was a lucky escape from my feeder schools, either Parklands, in Speke, or St. Benedict's in Garston (formerly St. John Almond's). I got into Margaret's through the entrance exam, and also got into Bluecoat, Liverpool College (scholarship), St. Edward's, Merchant Taylor's (scholarship), all MILES better schools, but my mum forced me to go to SMA because I could get there by only one bus journey, as opposed to three/four for the others.

Sorry for my essay in return - it was a trade-off! :p:
No, Maricourt was a state comprehensive - but Catholic, voluntary-aided. It does sound like quite a grand place, though - my Oxford interviewer asked if it was private just on the basis of its name! Is St. Margaret's selective, then? None of our local schools here in North Liverpool are, which is a shame as I did quite well in SATS, so would probably have passed an entrance/scholarship exam. My parents were considering putting me in for Bluecoat or Merchant's, but decided against it in the end - I have a younger sister, who's actually pretty clever now (just got some great exam results after her first year doing Classical Studies at Liverpool Uni), but who was a very late developer and who would never have passed an entrance exam. My parents thought it'd be harsh if I got to go to a better school than her, and felt it'd make her bitter - which it would have, so I don't blame them for not trying to get me into Bluecoat! But Maricourt was seriously bad, and the Catholicism was dreadful - we said the Hail Mary 6 times a day, and our sex education consisted of some woman giving the Year 10s a talk about how condoms have little holes in that let the AIDS through... :rolleyes:
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, Maricourt was a state comprehensive - but Catholic, voluntary-aided. It does sound like quite a grand place, though - my Oxford interviewer asked if it was private just on the basis of its name! Is St. Margaret's selective, then? None of our local schools here in North Liverpool are, which is a shame as I did quite well in SATS, so would probably have passed an entrance/scholarship exam. My parents were considering putting me in for Bluecoat or Merchant's, but decided against it in the end - I have a younger sister, who's actually pretty clever now (just got some great exam results after her first year doing Classical Studies at Liverpool Uni), but who was a very late developer and who would never have passed an entrance exam. My parents thought it'd be harsh if I got to go to a better school than her, and felt it'd make her bitter - which it would have, so I don't blame them for not trying to get me into Bluecoat! But Maricourt was seriously bad, and the Catholicism was dreadful - we said the Hail Mary 6 times a day, and our sex education consisted of some woman giving the Year 10s a talk about how condoms have little holes in that let the AIDS through... :rolleyes:
\

St. Margaret's - selective? Ha ha ha! That's a good one.

No, it's not selective - it has an intake of 155 boys a year, of which 15 are admitted by entrance exam (in an attempt to boost failing exam results). They do something similar at St. Hilda's, one of the sister schools. :p:

Yeah, I resent my mum a bit for denying me all those scholarships, but I came out of it alright at the end, and while the experience is different from what it could have been, I've still gained some good things from it.

I'm Catholic! Ha ha! But Margie's is C of E, though, and, being a church comprehensive school, voluntarily aided, we had mass ALL THE TIME. Not quite 6 Hail Marys a day (they say Grace, which I still refuse to learn!), but a lot.

We never got sex education - for most, it was redundant after year 9!
Extreme!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey! I'm also quite worried about finance issues...

I'm getting £3,150 free from Oxford Uni (this hasn't been finalised), £2,845 free from the government, a full tuition fee loan and a £3000 maintainance loan from the government.

Will this be enough money to get me through? I don't mean just scrapping through, I want to be able to go out, have fun and go clothes shopping once in a while.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't see why not - you'll probably be better off than almost everyone else! Your £3150 from Oxford should cover your battels (rent, food, some other bits and pieces) for the year; you'll then be left with the govt grant, for extra meals, going out, books clothes - £900 per term! I get by on half that! You may not even need a maintenance loan.
titanlux
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks!
Best german dictionary EVER : www.dict.cc

it contains even maths terms, law terms, medical etc
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by titanlux)
Best german dictionary EVER : www.dict.cc

it contains even maths terms, law terms, medical etc
Kudos!!!!! I loves you xx
maaarsh
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Extreme!)
Hey! I'm also quite worried about finance issues...

I'm getting £3,150 free from Oxford Uni (this hasn't been finalised), £2,845 free from the government, a full tuition fee loan and a £3000 maintainance loan from the government.

Will this be enough money to get me through? I don't mean just scrapping through, I want to be able to go out, have fun and go clothes shopping once in a while.

You'll have much more money than most people. In terms of university funding it is far better to be from a minimum wage family claiming all the grants you can than from pretty much any background until you're really pretty rich. Frankly grants should be spread far more widely. That set up there will give you about £250 a week after standard accomodation charges, which is frankly ridiculous.
Extreme!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose I won't be spending it all. I'll save some for next year, and I guess I'll need to save some for the holidays (as we are at uni for only 24/52 weeks of the year).

I too think the grants should be spred more widely. I know many people who only about £500 free overall and full maintiantance and tuition fee loan. I just wanted to know how far the money I would recieve would get me - thanks for your advice!
antipotato
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I normally spend about £20 a week on food, and I try and budget £50 a week for everything else. That usually goes out the window though - I have an annoying ability to remember my debit card pin despite being almost too drunk to walk, which is bad news for my bank balance...

Oh, and I wasted £160 on Union membership in Michaelmas. Definitely not got my money's worth yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads