Only been with one guy.... pros and cons? Watch

loz_fairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
You already have what other people (the ones who have had many relationships) are searching for. I think you are better off.
Agreed.
htid
Report 10 years ago
I think staying together from a teenage age on can only cause problems if you a) develop in a different way than your bf and become two very different, little matching personalities. Or b) if you were still quite immature when you got together with him in the way that you didn't quite know yet what you want from life and relationships and what type of personality you have.
But if you still work together a few years later and have no doubts that he is what you want even when you question it I think it's not you who's missing out, but maybe other people who don't have that yet.
AmberB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by teshla^^)
What if you play the field and never meet anyone that comes close to your current partner...
Yeah that's exactly why I could never bring myself to do it. I know how lucky I am to have such a great boyfriend who I love very much. and I'm lucky in the sense that I've found something that a lot of people wait ages for. I'm completely content; there's no doubt about that but it's just the feeling that maybe having relationships with other guys would have been a good experience even though I'm not really one to want to sleep around etc. I'd personally much rather have one long term relationship and sex seems just that much more special because it's with someone who's special to me. If that makes sense lol. But who knows what will happen in future; we may stay together, or we might not. Anyway thanks for the replies guys I know it's a weird topic but I suppose it's something which I felt I needed to get off my chest. Keep your opinions/experiences coming! Anyone else in a similar situation?
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AmberB)
Yeah that's exactly why I could never bring myself to do it. I know how lucky I am to have such a great boyfriend who I love very much. and I'm lucky in the sense that I've found something that a lot of people wait ages for. I'm completely content; there's no doubt about that but it's just the feeling that maybe having relationships with other guys would have been a good experience even though I'm not really one to want to sleep around etc. I'd personally much rather have one long term relationship and sex seems just that much more special because it's with someone who's special to me. If that makes sense lol. But who knows what will happen in future; we may stay together, or we might not. Anyway thanks for the replies guys I know it's a weird topic but I suppose it's something which I felt I needed to get off my chest. Keep your opinions/experiences coming! Anyone else in a similar situation?
Yes. Mine is less pronounced in that I have dated a few people before mine, but I've only slept with my current boyfriend. I find that watching shows like Sex and the City and Friends sometimes makes me feel a bit like there is the possibility that I'm missing out on the fun and frolics that others are having, and that I should be dating a lot of guys before settling down. But the reality is probably that whilst TV programs make dating look really glamorous, it's not as great as it makes out. I would NEVER break up with my boyfriend just for the chance to look elsewhere.

The thing that makes my situation [seem] a little more complicated is that I've never had an orgasm, and in the back of my mind there's a niggle that says that maybe it would happen with the right man ... but really I know that it's not my boyfriend's "fault" as he is a considerate and generous over, and that it's probably more of a psychological block that I need to get past.

So in summary, yes, I do wonder the same as you, but I also would not dump my guy because of it.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
P.S. People at my uni think we're The Perfect Couple and I get told how jeaous they are that we've found each other
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Welllll, I'm a Christian and am all for the whole "no sex before marriage" thing, which kinda goes with the "one guy forever" camp.

I've also always said that I don't want to sleep with more than 2 or 3 people in my life anyways.

Though the whole "experience" thing has started to creep into my mind a lot, which is a bit confusing and annoying. But I think I'll stay with the above answer lol

Everyone's different. Some people don't want to be "stuck" with one person forever, others just want "the one".

Personally, I think there's something far more romantic about only ever being with one person in your life rather than spending a lot of time sleeping with a lot of people. :p:
The Nightingale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it is a problem really. Personally, I'd rather be with one guy who made me totally happy, then have 10 that I'm not bothered about. Even if that did make me 'inexperianced'.

But it's your call. Do what will make you happy.
Local_United_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK at the risk of sounding boastful -which I don't actually care about- I have slept with a higher number of people than, I would say 95% of the guys here, and I would also say I am better 'in bed' than the same percentage....like, I always without fail get told that I was *really* good, fantastic etc.....this isn't just luck on my behalf, I don't have a huge penis or amazing stamina....i just took the time to learn what is good, what isn't, and then practice on as many girls as possible.

If you only slept with one person you will only be good at sex with that one person. If you sleep with many you will have a wider range of skills and be able to adopt easier to your next partner.

Plus you will find it exciting again. 3 years is a long time to be shagging the same person with no variety whatsoever, IMHO.
beccaarr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've only ever slept with one person, and thats my current boyfriend of nearly 2 and a half years, though he'd been with 4 others before me.

I've wondered before about being with other people, but to be honest, I'm happy enough with my boyfriend, infact I've enver been as happy as I am right now. There's no way I'd break up with him over something like that, cos I'd lose something extremely important to me. And he's perfectly happy, so why mess that up?

I never found the whole one night stand thing appealling, my mate does it alot and most of the time she regrets it.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Local_United_Fan)
3 years is a long time to be shagging the same person with no variety whatsoever, IMHO.
Well, you can have variety with one person - there are lots of things to try of course
Symbea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Local_United_Fan)
OK at the risk of sounding boastful -which I don't actually care about- I have slept with a higher number of people than, I would say 95% of the guys here, and I would also say I am better 'in bed' than the same percentage....like, I always without fail get told that I was *really* good, fantastic etc.....this isn't just luck on my behalf, I don't have a huge penis or amazing stamina....i just took the time to learn what is good, what isn't, and then practice on as many girls as possible.

If you only slept with one person you will only be good at sex with that one person. If you sleep with many you will have a wider range of skills and be able to adopt easier to your next partner.

Plus you will find it exciting again. 3 years is a long time to be shagging the same person with no variety whatsoever, IMHO.

But if they only intend to sleep with people they're serious with then they'll get plenty of time to improve. Sleeping around will inevitably make her undesirable to guys because guys tend to dislike damaged goods so yeah she may become an amazing one night stand but no guy will want a relationship with her despite how good in bed she is. And when it comes down to it would she rather be happy with a guy she loves or good in bed with people she doesn't know the second name of.
tropicalcoconuts3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pros- you are already comfortable with each other, know what each other likes sexually etc
Cons- if your questioning this online with a boyfreind of 3 and a bit years, then it probably means you are not actually that happy
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Ive wondered the exact same, Ive been with my boyfriend for about a year and 3 months now and Ive wondered the same but like i know were happy And I wouldnt find in anyone else what I find in him!

Mmm.. <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads