Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
McDonalds?

Have a salad with no dressing...

I heard that their salads are fattening (hidden crap inside)

And besides, I hate the smell inside Maccy D resturants :puke:
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Oh the drama of eating out!

Can someone please advise where is the best place to eat for the minimum of calories/fat possible?

I'm a fan of Wetherspoons but their menu is limited.

Please suggest venues and menus!
depends how many calories your looking at, i suppose.
if all else fails, you could order an obviously healthy starter (soup, or something, for example) with a side of vegetables?

Surely though, as long as you're not eating out every day, you can afford to indulge a bit?
Tufts
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~Ally~)
depends how many calories your looking at, i suppose.
if all else fails, you could order an obviously healthy starter (soup, or something, for example) with a side of vegetables?

Surely though, as long as you're not eating out every day, you can afford to indulge a bit?
I eat out once per week.

And to me indulging for an hour is not worth the guilt. Id rather stay 'clean'.
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
I heard that their salads are fattening (hidden crap inside
Why do they do it?!

(OP, do you have an eating disorder or are you just a bit OCD? :p:)
Tufts
Rep:
?
Why do they do it?!

(OP, do you have an eating disorder or are you just a bit OCD? :p:)
Because I only want to put good fuel into my body that means I have an ED? :rolleyes:

Would you pour bleach into your jag's petrol tank?
InnocentEyes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
do you like sushi? or Japanese in general? bowl noodles are pretty healthy and yum, as are the dishes with plain rice and sashimi/veg on top
personally I love eating out and will probably find something anywhere. but Nando's is a good suggestion, as well as Pizza Express (just have half a pizza, they really aren't too bad cause they're thin crust). I also love GBK and cause you can customise everything, it can be surprisingly friendly to calorie counting. Think removing the bun, getting veggie burgers etc.
jeh_jeh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, generally, if you're going for Chinese or Indian meals (although I can't give specific examples), the prawn noodle dishes tend to have the lowest fat and cal. content. Apparently some woman went into our local Chinese brandishing a Weight Watchers book to some non-English speaking waiters - they soon got the point!

Indian-wise, tandoori is really good, 'cause it's spiced meat without the sauce. Poppodoms are good, but steer clear of the naans, rice and creamy curry sauces. Tomato-based ones aren't too bad, though.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Because I only want to put good fuel into my body that means I have an ED? :rolleyes:

Lol, I eat very healthily. And a previous poster said;

"I got a bit confused there when I saw that Tufts had started a thread called "Eating Out". I thought she'd become a lesbian."

So I just wondered. :p:
Tufts
Rep:
?
Lol, I eat very healthily. And a previous poster said;

"I got a bit confused there when I saw that Tufts had started a thread called "Eating Out". I thought she'd become a lesbian."

So I just wondered. :p:
What does that have to do with OCD or ED?
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pizza Hut offer their pizzas with less cheese and it's always best to go for the thin base with lots of veg on...
A lot of places do salads and you can just order it without the dressing and crotons etc...
I heard that steak and chips isn't actually that bad in calories (600 or 700?)
Nandos would be a good choice as you could have chicken with salad and/or rice.

However when I go out I try not to worry too much.... you should be able to enjoy life and not always be worrying about things like calories If I go to Pizza Hut for example I just avoid the dessert and have what I want for mains.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)

There are plenty of healthy foods to eat while out. Doesn't mean you have to know the amount of calories in them.

For instance, this is part of the menu at a place where I go to eat:

Warm Salad of Wood Pigeon with Pistachio, and Quail Eggs
Steamed Fillet of Salmon with Crushed New Potatoes, and Asparagus
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with a rocket salad

Now the above is healthy, and you don't need the exact number of calories to know it's healthy.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tufts there is no way in hell you need to lose weight! Stop being silly. Eating out is a chance to say sod it to a healthy diet anyway, and just enjoy what you normally don't get to eat
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
vege options are probably better? well most places... n depends what it is...
Alot of places i just have salads...
x x x
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cant be bothered to read through all the posts so I apologise if its already been said.

A healthy diet should include "cheat" meals. This doesnt mean binging on 20 bars of chocolate but a sensible meal out is fine. go for something sensible like a good steak, gammon, chicken cut with a side salad.

1 Meal a week will not cause you to become fat if you eat clean and exercise every other day.

As for advice on where to eat, Nandos is good (ive never been there but every girl i know on a diet basically lives there), or (i know its not a restaurant) Subway is a probably my favourite food you can buy.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I personally look forward to when I get to eat out hehe....probably sounds sad but I look forward to having pizza and helps me be good a while before and after it
happydinosaur
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
There are plenty of healthy foods to eat while out. Doesn't mean you have to know the amount of calories in them.

For instance, this is part of the menu at a place where I go to eat:

Warm Salad of Wood Pigeon with Pistachio, and Quail Eggs
Steamed Fillet of Salmon with Crushed New Potatoes, and Asparagus
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with a rocket salad

Now the above is healthy, and you don't need the exact number of calories to know it's healthy.
Exactly.

Eating out is also about getting to eat things you wouldn't normally and a chance to try new exciting foods.

Look for little independant places. Lots do really good early bird offers and deals making them good value compared to the rubbish that chains like Weatherspoons and other pubs churn out. I'd much rather eat something fresh and well prepared if I can. Obviously not all the time but don't over look them. Plus many indepandent/small chains offer great healthy things like as much veg as you want and stuff like that.
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pizza Express do a yummy 'Bosco salad' which is warm mushrooms with lots of lettuce and some avocado and tomatoes. Oh, and it's meant to have mozzarella in it but I always have it without because I don't like cheese.

Frankie & Benny's do a super yummy 'Sticky Prawn salad' as well which is also yummy.

Both restaurants have other salads as well but my options are limited because I don't eat meat...
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Aye but you don't know what hidden crap they put in.

You should see the stats for a jacket potato at Spoons! :eek:
Well you wouldn't order a jacket potato anyways because it's all carbohydrate.
thepinkpowerranger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The chickpea salad at Nandos is awesome!! I usually have that or a chicken pitta with a side salad.

Pizza Express do good salads too.

When I eat out I eat whatever I feel like sometimes that's salad other times it's something else... Just try to eat heathily... And, imo that includes being able to eat the "bad" stuff once in a while without feeling guilty... I'll happily eat a Burger King once a month/2 months.

Also if you know you're going to be eating mega cals for dinner, eat salad/soup for lunch etc for the rest of the day so it all balances out.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Surely a steak with a side salad and/or a jacket potato is a good choice? That's what I like having if I go to a good restaurant. I'm going on holiday in august and I love having sirlion steak
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads