Another AS (20)
95.24%
martin101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
I'm going to take Psychology and genuine question: how come it is a bit iffy?
Hmm well I dunno. Im not slating it as a subject per say, as I have had no experience of the subject and to do so would be wholly wrong of me. It is definately one of the new range of qualifications that have been brought out and GENERALLY these tend to be ones that universities frown upon. Its not the intention that is usually misdirected (I have a psychology course this year), but rather the course content (the basic knowledge required for my course in psychology is heavily neuro based which schools just cant cover). Take for example law at A level. Most law courses dont want anything to do with it simply because its just too 'noddy' to be of any use.

I mean there is most definately a snob factor involved in subjects, and, most likely this is a prime example of this (I mean even subjects like human biology are considered less prestigious than its older brother). Im not sure, it just doesnt sound quite right...
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by martin101)
Nooooo dont do psychology, thats one of these new fangled subjects that are a bit iffy. Id suggest either history or eng lit (especially since these are essay based and will give you some practice - my essay writing skills sucked (and I guess still do))
Its not a bit iffy, med schools aren't looking down on it.

Pros of Psychology
-it's an easy A
-some stuff comes up in the medical degree, like statistics and some random stuff like stress responses/mental illness. But the A Level is no great advantage.

Cons of Psychology
-you're closing doors on other degrees. If you change your mind and want to pursue english or history, you can't with a psychology A Level
-you won't learn how to write essays. But how useful is this anyway? Surely medical/prize essays are different to English A2 essays, so it won't be much advantage.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Pros of Psychology
-it's an easy A
Could you expand please?

I admit I know absolutely nothing about the course - but I've heard that it's mostly case study and essay based. Deducting from your 'cons' section it isn't - what are the question papers more like? Science or English? Can you give me any background information?
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Could you expand please?

I admit I know absolutely nothing about the course - but I've heard that it's mostly case study and essay based. Deducting from your 'cons' section it isn't - what are the question papers more like? Science or English? Can you give me any background information?
Its fact recall, as in simple facts really, no concepts as such. For the syllabus I did (AQA A), we were asked to write 3 essays in answer to a choice of 9 ish questions in each paper.

By essays, I mean, you write down absolutely every fact and made up criticisms of the facts that you can think of in that time. There must be no introduction or conclusion or quotations or general complicated literary devices...

There were people in my class who failed it and generally didn't get As, but they were idiots and didnt even try to learn.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its fact recall, as in simple facts really, no concepts as such. For the syllabus I did (AQA A), we were asked to write 3 essays in answer to a choice of 9 ish questions in each paper.

By essays, I mean, you write down absolutely every fact and made up criticisms of the facts that you can think of in that time. There must be no introduction or conclusion or quotations or general complicated literary devices...

There were people in my class who failed it and generally didn't get As, but they were idiots and didnt even try to learn.
Sounds great! I think I'm the same syllabus, too.

Edit: Do you mean you have a choice of 9 essay questions, and you pick 3 and write essays for them or did I misunderstand?
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Sounds great! I think I'm the same syllabus, too.

Edit: Do you mean you have a choice of 9 essay questions, and you pick 3 and write essays for them or did I misunderstand?
yeah, I dont remember exactly, but you get a booklet of questions (like English GCSE I guess). You should've been taught/studied enough to answer all the Qs for certain modules in it, but you only need to answer three I think for each paper.

There's three exam papers for AS and I think two for A2 and also coursework for A2.

Bit of a waste of an A Level cause the subject won't get you anywhere in life. But the A grade will.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bit of a waste of an A Level cause the subject won't get you anywhere in life. But the A grade will.
It will if you want to be a Psychologist!
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
doubt it. you dont need the A Level to do the degree. Unlike traditional subjects.

apparently uni's prefer psych applicants not to have the A Level so they're 'fresh' and not full of A Level crap.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I don't want to be a Psychologist but I do need a third 'A' so it seems a pretty good choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads