How smart is your Dog? Watch

Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Am sure you are I read the book "Marley and Me" and although the Labrador seemed happy and full of exuberant energy, he seemed like quite a dog to train
Actually, it's my experience that Labradors are some of the easiest dogs to train. They have a huge amount of intelligence, but equally they have an incredable amount of energy. They will happily be trained all day long, whereas other dogs like dalmations get bored with doing the same thing over and over. :p:
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Actually, it's my experience that Labradors are some of the easiest dogs to train. They have a huge amount of intelligence, but equally they have an incredable amount of energy. They will happily be trained all day long, whereas other dogs like dalmations get bored with doing the same thing over and over. :p:
Oh, you've misinterpreted and am not disagreeing with that at all. The book is based upon a Labrador Retriever that was challenging to train. I have a Labrador and he's a pleasure to be with! I read in the book that there are two types of Labradors, the "American" breed and the "British" breed (or something similar) and apparently one is more hyperactive and has more energy than the other.
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dog is now 12 months old and her name is Ruby. Being part collie training her is very easy . Will try the test later when shes a bit calmer, lol. Currently running around the place barking her head off with excitement.
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
My dog got 22 points - he's smart whooo =D
Smart like its owner?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoWZa)
Oh, you've misinterpreted and am not disagreeing with that at all. The book is based upon a Labrador Retriever that was challenging to train. I have a Labrador and he's a pleasure to be with! I read in the book that there are two types of Labradors, the "American" breed and the "British" breed (or something similar) and apparently one is more hyperactive and has more energy than the other.
Oh no, I was just saying!

I've read the book too - Reading about Marley was JUST LIKE reading about my lab, particuarly in her last days.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annie72)
My dog is now 12 months old and her name is Ruby. Being part collie training her is very easy . Will try the test later when shes a bit calmer, lol. Currently running around the place barking her head off with excitement.
Bella is part collie. It must mean the lurcher in her makes her thick. XD
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Hello there sweetness! "Poppy" Awww! What breed is it? I have a Golden Labrador.
She's a border terrier. At the moment she's really fluffy and scruffy and looks quite silly, but she usually looks like a little teddy bear Aww I like Labradors, they're usually really nice.
I've read the book Marley & Me too! It was sad when he died at the end But kinda inevitable...
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heres a picture of my dog Ruby...who is crossed with a Kelpie

WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
She's a border terrier. At the moment she's really fluffy and scruffy and looks quite silly, but she usually looks like a little teddy bear Aww I like Labradors, they're usually really nice.
I've read the book Marley & Me too! It was sad when he died at the end But kinda inevitable...
Heh good stuff Yeah Labs are awesome. My dog seems to identify with other Labs though and sometimes tries to hump them =/ It's a great book and very original. You can learn quite a bit from it in a general context actually.
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh yes It's all down to meeeee :p:
Awesome you huh?
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Heh good stuff Yeah Labs are awesome. My dog seems to identify with other Labs though and sometimes tries to hump them =/ It's a great book and very original. You can learn quite a bit from it in a general context actually.
Oh God, Poppy is always trying to hump other dogs... and she's female! Not sure what that's all about but it can be embarrassing.
Yeah I liked the book but his wife annoyed me when she wanted to get of Marley after she had a baby, gr!
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
Oh God, Poppy is always trying to hump other dogs... and she's female! Not sure what that's all about but it can be embarrassing.
Yeah I liked the book but his wife annoyed me when she wanted to get of Marley after she had a baby, gr!
Haha. Well Jasper (my dog) has been "done" but he still humps other dogs anyway. I think it's a dominance thing. Heh awww! *Hugs*
Dill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Haha. Well Jasper (my dog) has been "done" but he still humps other dogs anyway. I think it's a dominance thing. Heh awww! *Hugs*
Yes I suppose that's probably true. Dogs are embarrassing sometimes aren't they? Gawwwwd! Heheh *huggles*.
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Totally - I should hold classes for pooches - pass on my intelect and all that, we'll soon have beagles and terriers sat beside us while sitting SAT's/A-Levels - the lot
LOL! Yeah, and you could start setting prices for it I'm sure you'd give a great service
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dill)
Yes I suppose that's probably true. Dogs are embarrassing sometimes aren't they? Gawwwwd! Heheh *huggles*.
Haha yeah! I sometimes have to get him off other dogs He was doing it on a Saturday evening and this guy was like "Well it is Saturday night" haha. Awwww! *Hugs close*
Mutiny!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My girlfriend did this supposed dog intelligence thing with her staffy cross, they put a towel over his head and waited to see how long it took for him to get it off... He left it on for quite some time, and then went to sleep with it covering his face. He's not all that bright. He's a cool dog though, even if he hates me
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha, my dog Oscar did rubbish! Hes the sweetest, most well behaved dog ever but we rescued him as a stray from greece so hes a free spirit. He cant be bothered with tricks or training!! Billy and Ella, my mums greyhounds, are geniuses though. And Billy is really big and he cant sit but he does this amazing bow thing for treats :cool:
Flick The Switch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mm I'll try this tomorrow
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
I've been trying to train Bella, but I'm really beginning to feel she lacks any sort of basic intelligence.

I've had her 6 months, and of that, about 4 months has been quite intensive training... We've mastered sit (as long as we're indoors). And... that's about it. Oh, she can stay is you repeat the command every ten seconds or so. And she can give you her paw on command (but can't swap paws, ie put one down, and on the next command give you the other paw)

She can't recall, or fetch. She also cannot lay on command (She doesn't lay down normally anyway, she just falls over.)

She suffered some head injuries as a younger puppy, so I'm wondering if it's linked. Like it's ruined part of her memory or something. I don't know, I've never had this much trouble training dogs in the past.
my dog is only well trained if you're holding some food.
when hes off the lead int eh park he'll only come back if theres nothing more interesting going on. he cant fetch or give a paw, or sit, but he does lie down, stand and jump up.

(Original post by Vixen)
Haha, my dog Oscar did rubbish! Hes the sweetest, most well behaved dog ever but we rescued him as a stray from greece so hes a free spirit. He cant be bothered with tricks or training!! Billy and Ella, my mums greyhounds, are geniuses though. And Billy is really big and he cant sit but he does this amazing bow thing for treats :cool:
i have a 3/4 greyhound called billy! they are the most genius dogs ever.
and i think its something about them which means they dont like sitting, mine only ever lies down.
Not Invented Yet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That was quite a fun little test to pass some time. My Lurcher got 26, she's a genius! Course, I already knew that - after all, I trained her... :p: I didn't know what to give her for the towel-over-the-head thing because she wouldn't actually let me throw the towel over her head - she kept jumping out of the way and biting it... so I gave her five for having fast reactions!
My sister's Jack Russel got 18. I'm amazed she came out as smart, she's a horrible little animal with the attention span of a moth. With the treat-under-a-can thing, she sniffed it for a few seconds and then found a different trail and ran off to hunt bugs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads