Report 10 years ago
what is your nearst station?
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. Go without your mum.

2. How soon is it? Usually it's cheaper to fly if you book in advance.

3. Ultimately, if you decide you don't want to pay, just don't go. I didn't find them particularly useful when I went, so I only visited 2 open days out of the 5 I applied to.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
i don't knowto be honest ....... though I'm simply not going to pay over £100 just for a train ride!
In that same week I'm travelling to Cardiff and back (from Newcastle). That's £75 (for one person and 1/3 of the original fare). 'Tis expensive business train travel, I blame privatisation :p: In fact, I'll be travelling back on that very same day, the 27th....

Anyway, you may be able to get some financial support though. You never know unless you ask. Other people have been given money towards travelling consts, it's worth trying.

If not and you don't want to take the coach (I appreciate that 13 hours on a coach, especially on what may be a hot August day, isn't pleasent) the universitiy could arrage something. There are video tours, maybe a few members of staff could talk with you over the phone, how many students have you been in touch with?
FM08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
none.

i'll contact aimhigher.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Megabus, at least part of the way?
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If money is an issue just get the coach. Yes it takes ages. Yes it is as boring as hell but if you can't afford the luxury of speedy trains, or getting somebody to drive you, then do it.

It takes about 5-6 hours from London to Preston (one train stop from Lancaster) by coach. About 3-4 hours by car from London to Lancaster. (I did this by coach last week, £18 return London-Preston (megabus))

But if you don't want to attend the open day then just look online. Or if you are that unwilling to travel and fork out money for it don't bother attending a faraway uni.
krisss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just go to lancaster anyway its a sick uni.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you on EMA? If so, they will pay for your travelling expenses for the open day! They won't pay for your mum though. Also, www.thetrainline.com is really good for finding reasonably priced train tickets.

If money is the main issue, try megabus. It's cheap and probably not that brilliant but it'll get you there!

Also, as other people said, try coming a day earlier and booking into a cheap hotel / b&b etc. Try looking on www.lastminute.com for that one
anonymous1432
Badges: 7
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't bother at that price. Nothing beats actually experiencing your chosen universities, but there is so much info on the net these days, that you can probably make an informed decision without actually going.

I did not visit Newcastle, but I knew it would suit me better than Warwick just based on descriptions.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by timwaters2007)
I wouldn't bother at that price. Nothing beats actually experiencing your chosen universities, but there is so much info on the net these days, that you can probably make an informed decision without actually going.

I did not visit Newcastle, but I knew it would suit me better than Warwick just based on descriptions.
Yeah, I came to a decision without going on a single open day/visiting any of my chosen universities.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i could never have made my decision without visiting the open days thati did
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Would a student rail card at £20 not pay for itself and still save you money on that trip? A third off 250 leaves it at... About 167? Minus the 20 for the railcard (is it still 20?) and you're still saving 60-70 pounds. =/
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Would a student rail card at £20 not pay for itself and still save you money on that trip? A third off 250 leaves it at... About 167? Minus the 20 for the railcard (is it still 20?) and you're still saving 60-70 pounds. =/
I think he has a 16-24 railcard, it's more the added cost of his mother.

It's a shame that you can't get a 1/3 off for your accompanying passanger also like you can with the disabled persons railcard (although I know this would be unjustified, unlike with the DP railcard).
FM08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
how can i get ahold of aimhigher? i can't find their number or anything.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think this is it

http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/dontstop/...contact_us.cfm

(0800 587 8500)

Local Aim Higher: -

http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/practitio...r_websites.cfm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise