Personal statement/application... Watch

Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to do something sciencey such as biomed, you could perhaps do a scientific course at university and then go on to do medical law at law school by doing a law conversion course?
Ruthie!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've really looked into it, both of them.
Law is something I've always wanted to do, but I'm really interested in biology etc.
I can't do taster courses or anything as I work full time during holidays, and I can't take time off, I know university is important but I need the money to afford it, its a vicious circle, I guess I'll just wait and talk to Ms Lockerbie in school. She's probably my best bet.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
Its sounds stupid but I really can't afford to do any moer than 3 years at university, and I was supposed to have some law work experience but it was cancelled, not my fault. Also its not that i dont have the dedication, I just have too much dedication for both that I can't decide which.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie!)
Its sounds stupid but I really can't afford to do any moer than 3 years at university, and I was supposed to have some law work experience but it was cancelled, not my fault. Also its not that i dont have the dedication, I just have too much dedication for both that I can't decide which.
I think people are just being pragmatic here; as much as you hate to make the choice, you have to make it. Writing a PS for both will get you rejections from all your universities. I had to make the choice too.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get a training contract that will pay for the GDL.

I wasn't trying to lay into you, simply stating that if you're undecided and don't have much experience of law, biomed might be a better bet in terms of the application potential. I hear it said often - I'm not sure how true it is - that law as a career is sufficiently competitive that it's one of the few fields where the university you went to *does* matter, and admission to those universities is extremely tough because the standard is so high. If you aren't able to present yourself as completely committed to law, that may be tricky. If you're sure that isn't the case and you are, as you say, dedicated to both, then give it a shot.

Think about it. You've got a while to make your mind up, anyway.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
I think people are just being pragmatic here; as much as you hate to make the choice, you have to make it. Writing a PS for both will get you rejections from all your universities. I had to make the choice too.
Out of interest what was your other subject, Billy?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Out of interest what was your other subject, Billy?
German + Russian, with linguistics. I suppose it's an easier choice, in that I can keep up my German, take up Russian when I have the time, and read around linguistics when I leave university; but then, the OP can take biomed and read around law in his spare time. It's not ideal, I know, but the choice has to be made.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
hers actually =p

but yeah, thinking of biomed more now, and my subjects are more geared to it, I suppose I can go back to uni when im older if i want to
Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TLDR

OP how about doing biomedical and then doing a year long lw converter at the end of your degree? that was you write a personal statment just for biomedical. both courses are so competitive that if your PS doesn't seem focused on either one then its doubtful you would get your first choice.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
Like I said I can barely afford three years at uni never mind 4.
Anyway I'm gunna talk to people in school and see what they say, although I think I'll just stick to bio stuff
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've really looked into it, both of them.
Law is something I've always wanted to do, but I'm really interested in biology etc.
I can't do taster courses or anything as I work full time during holidays, and I can't take time off, I know university is important but I need the money to afford it, its a vicious circle, I guess I'll just wait and talk to Ms Lockerbie in school. She's probably my best bet.
What you can do or what I recommend you do is to do biology and if you want to go into law after you graduate then you can do a 1yr conversion course for those who want to go into law and did not do a LLB course

Second of all if you want to apply to both why don't you apply to 4 uni for one course and 1 for the other and do a personal statment for the most popular course you applied to and the odd one you can do an extra statement and send it to the uni.

I did that when I did a law and econ PS, applied to LSE for social pol and econ and sent them a different PS and got an offer
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyway I'm gunna talk to people in school and see what they say, although I think I'll just stick to bio stuff
Don't worry too much about that for now as I would not advice you to do an LLB if you are not sure if you would become a lawyer and if you do biology it gives you more of a choice careea wise than doing law. This is one of the reasons why I ended up going for social pol and econ as last year I was in the same position as you but a lot worse as I had no clue what I wanted to do plus some of the things i suggested my parents objected to it.

One thing i would say though is that in the end you would know what to do even if it doesn't feel like you would now. Don't ask me how you would know as you just know and go for it :rolleyes:
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
my dad doesnt live with me but my mum disagrees with a lot of it
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like other people have said, some law firms will pay for the conversion course. I imagine coming from a biomedical degree, you might be in demand amongst medical lawyers etc. - can't be that common a background.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
If its paid for its ok, but theres still living costs unless I can get one near me
Tom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
As a PS advisor like generaleibreity, I second what he's saying.

Bottom line is, you gotta chose. Law or biosci. Writing a convincing PS that will get you offers for both will be very, very hard (read, realistically impossible).

Firstly, it just looks bad to admissions tutors that you can't pick one course. You claim to have so much "excess dedication" that you are dedicated to both - sorry, but that's just not what the word dedication means! And unis will see that. Trying to say to them you're dedicated to biomed when you're also writing about how much you love law will just not be convincing next to a candidate who's made one choice and can use the whole PS to back it up.

Secondly, especially with Law, having got some relevant work experience is quite important to the application. If you haven't got any already, you're maybe leaving it a bit late (although it's still possible), but again vacillating between two choices and therefore not really having all the background to back up a killer app for one will hurt you, compared to those you're competing against.

So: it's tough, but you gotta bite the bullet and choose. Good thing you're thinking about it already now, as it means you still have plenty of time to make your mind up and get a good app. written - main deadline is January, although it's probably better to aim for end of Oct/Nov if you can. But use this summer to get visit some department open days etc if you can, to check out career options and which course suits what you want to do afterwards, and check out entry requirements for those two courses at the unis you're considering (biomed I imagine will require some science A-levels; a Law app would probably look odd if you have all sciences and no essay subjects - what A-levels are you actually doing, btw?). Even if you're working full time, surely you can grab one or two days off over the summer at some point?

Good luck choosing, and don't panic about it yet....you've got a couple of months yet if you need them

edit: as regards getting a law conversion paid for afterwards - be aware you can't necessarily rely on this happening. There's a lot of competition for funding, and you can also end up signing the next few years of your life away to a firm in the process.

edit edit: BUGGER! I just pos-repped someone I meant to neg. Bah.
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If its paid for its ok, but theres still living costs unless I can get one near me
But are you sure you want to do law. For example it is ok to do Biomed then go into law but will be very difficult to do law then decide you don't want to go into law and do biomed instead

my dad doesnt live with me but my mum disagrees with a lot of it
I know how you feel. My parents disagreed with me to do philosophy as I wanted to do law with phil or a PPE. My mum also didn't want me to go anywhere outside manchester and if it wasn't that LSE gave me an offer she would have got me to pick salford over leicester or Keele.

My advice is to come up with a middle ground rather than just doing what they want or causing too much arguments with your mum. Negociate with her as to what you would at uni so that both of you are at some agreement with each other. That what I had to do. Don't listen too much to your parents (or else I would have ended up not applying to LSE to do social pol and econ or ended up at home or a crap uni but if I went totally with what they disagreed with I would have ended up not speaking to my parents again)
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chrisateen)
Second of all if you want to apply to both why don't you apply to 4 uni for one course and 1 for the other and do a personal statment for the most popular course you applied to and the odd one you can do an extra statement and send it to the uni.
It would help if you'd stop giving this advice to people. There is no guarantee that any uni will read an additional statement (and some most certainly won't) so you'd do well to stop making suggestions that may end up with kids wasting applications on their UCAS forms because of some random anecdotal evidence.

MB
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by musicbloke)
It would help if you'd stop giving this advice to people. There is no guarantee that any uni will read an additional statement (and some most certainly won't) so you'd do well to stop making suggestions that may end up with kids wasting applications on their UCAS forms because of some random anecdotal evidence.

MB
Don't need to be rude plus I am not just saying this from my experience but from others who have done it in my school and when I asked admission tutors when I wanted to apply so its not just some random evidence but if you see it like that then I won't mention it any more
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your help, I've decided on biomed or other biology based courses. I think I'll apply to biomed and genetics at newcastle, then the other biomed courses at my other uni choices. BTW I'm taking Biology Chemistry French and ICT. However was condiering taking another year to do Socioloy and English to A2 as well. But I'm not going to bother now.
Like you said I can always go into it later if I want to. And this way even though I'm applying to different courses they are still both biology based.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads