Horse Riding - does it do much for fitness?? Watch

Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Besides, I don't see the point in riding a horse for fitness when you can just go for a run. Why not go for a run instead if fitness is what you're looking for?

If you say you'd rather do something that's 'fun', well.. most things that are good for you are unpleasant.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
I'm not unfortunately but I can picture it doing not a lot. It'd be the same as swinging your arms around for an hour or something. (On terms of calorie burning.)
LOL Oh dear. Perhaps not qualified to post then if you've never done it? I ride a very large gelding who likes to pull my arms out so I am constantly pulling against him for an hour. Not to mention the fact that a rider has to use almost every muscle in their body to get impulsion from the horse. Contrary to popular belief, you don't kick to make it go and pull to make it stop. :p:
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
If it doesn't, tell me why I a) get off very sweaty and hot (sorry, lol!) and b) anyone who takes up riding/hasn't ridden for a while/does a new riding riding activity will often report achy muscles etc.
I never said it doesn't. I said there are much more efficient ways of exercising. Anyway anecdotal evidance is hardly proof
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
If it doesn't, tell me why I a) get off very sweaty and hot (sorry, lol!) and b) anyone who takes up riding/hasn't ridden for a while/does a new riding riding activity will often report achy muscles etc.
Because you're sitting on a hard saddle for a long period of time.
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for a ride on a horse then come back here and tell us about how there's no work involved. But a proper ride, not just a little walk.
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because you're sitting on a hard saddle for a long period of time.
*******s, I've got a seat saver (saddle cushion) :p:

So would sitting on a hard chair for a long period of time produce the same results?!
meekan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ekalB)
It keeps one very fit! I went today and admit I am quite unfit at the moment, It was really hardwork to keep in Canter and I was to tired to kick hard enough and had aching legs. Serves one right for not keeping fit I suppose. So Yes 30minutes on a horse each week helps one to keep fit because different muscles are used.
You shouldn't be needing to kick anyway.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think anyone doubts that there are more effective forms of exercise, but to say that horse riding does not keep you toned is incorrect.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
I don't think anyone doubts that there are more effective forms of exercise, but to say that horse riding does not keep you toned is incorrect.
Indeed, which is what I said in my first post!

I think misogynist just likes conflict :p:
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Misogynist, go for a horse ride of atleast an hour and then come back and tell us how you feel.
SquishyHomie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*is a horse owner*

at a riding school before i owned my own i used to absolutely kill myself riding school horses for half an hour a week...but they were slow off the leg...lazy...and so much effort to ride.

I've schooled my own horse to be light off the leg and aids, so now, I just have to think/squeeze and he does it. Its a lot less effort, I hardly ever break a sweat, but now I gotta find another form of cardio :p:
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, for starters 'tone' (In the fitness sense.) doesn't really exist. What 'toned' is is low bodyfat with a decent lean body mass.

I can't see horse riding burning intense amounts of calories and causing myofibrillar hypertrophy.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
Indeed, which is what I said in my first post!

I think misogynist just likes conflict :p:
Well, It may cause calorie burning. Not much though. If 'Does much for fitness' is construed as burning as many calories as a sunday morning stroll, then yes it does.

If it means causing cardiovascular fitness, sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy and a reduction of subcutaneous fat, then heck no.
daryush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Besides, I don't see the point in riding a horse for fitness when you can just go for a run. Why not go for a run instead if fitness is what you're looking for?

If you say you'd rather do something that's 'fun', well.. most things that are good for you are unpleasant.
What on earth?!?!?!

Seriously. Go ride a horse for a while (like, proper) and then come and tell us as much work as a sunday morning stroll is involved.
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, It may cause calorie burning. Not much though. If 'Does much for fitness' is construed as burning as many calories as a sunday morning stroll, then yes it does.

If it means causing cardiovascular fitness, sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy and a reduction of subcutaneous fat, then heck no.

It mostly affects your muscles and isn't good for cardio, so you're right but it does tone your thighs and gluts
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daryush)
What on earth?!?!?!

Seriously. Go ride a horse for a while (like, proper) and then come and tell us as much work as a sunday morning stroll is involved.
I've got a horse (pony, technically, but hey!) he can use... One that's currently in the dog house for throwing me off twice in ten minutes and then kicking seven bells out of another horse... He's a bugger
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would think rising trot would tone your thighs quite a bit, although obviously the cardiovascular of the workout would be pretty limited.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So burning 600 calories in an hour, everyday is not much?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So burning 600 calories in an hour, everyday is not much?
How much time would you need to ride it for to burn 600 calories?
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I rode a horse the ******* just kept eating stuff. You have to pull its head up as hard as you can when it does that, or just slap it in the head. Quite the workout.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise