Norton 360 help! Watch

Adampolar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by becky.fm)
I've already paid for Norton, i'm not going to waste it.

Oh, and another tiny problem, i hate AVG! I used to have it on my XP comp, and eugh, just horrid! That's why i was willing to pay for some anti-virus software! I honestly don't understand why you like it..
Horrid because the developers don't waste time designing nice little graphics like Norton?

What do you mean waste it? Why use rubbish Norton when you could be using AVG?
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
That phone number, well it wants you to enter your credit card info to carry on talking :rolleyes: No thanks.

I'm currently 30 in a queue for 'Live Chat' with Norton analysts.. to see what they say.

Hmm yeah, well the service/easy of use of their website & customer service details isn't exactly amazing!
in_jeopardy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
why is Norton so awful? seems fine?
If you chopped someones legs off, and perched them on a chair in front of a desk, they would 'seem fine' from a fair distance...

Everyone says it, and no one listens. Norton is terrible.

It's slow, ineffective and costly.

If you're set on paying for an antivirus, I recommend NOD32 (which is basically what norton SHOULD be, unobtrusive, reliable and wont slow down your computer or cause problems if you ever try to get rid of it or do something it doesn't like).

Else avast and AVG are both good, completely free AVs, (and they are also better than norton by a fair measure).

The people in PC world and most other computer shops, are PAID (yes, given money on commission) for every copy of norton they sell, do not take them for their word that it's good.
Haft_Hasht_Shish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by in_jeopardy)

The people in PC world and most other computer shops, are PAID (yes, given money on commission) for every copy of norton they sell, do not take them for their word that it's good.
Actually PC World staff do not get commission for each copy. It does however help to achieve one of their sales targets which could possibly lead to a store bonus. And yes, Norton is garbage....It's like comparing those cheap yellow bic razors to Gilette Mach3 Turbo razor - it does the job eventually but it's ineffective and takes longer (perhaps not the best analogy )

If only people knew how much margin a store makes from each copy sold :eek:.

I would rather use any of the other software recommended already (and myself use AVG)
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
If you chopped someones legs off, and perched them on a chair in front of a desk, they would 'seem fine' from a fair distance...
Except for the fact, he'd be screaming

It's slow, ineffective and costly.
slow = doesn't that depend on the laptop spec?? Mine is fine.
ineffective = I haven't had a virus attack
costly = I got it for free

Everyone says it, and no one listens. Norton is terrible.
everyone says something doesn't make it true.
becky.fm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok cool. I went onto their Live Chat thingy, and the person was very helpful.

He must have done something, because i opened Norton again while i was talking to him, because he told me to, and it had started working again! :p: He said it was just normal liveupdate synchronization which seems a little odd to me, because it only happened after i talked to him. Ah well. Apparently it wont happen again (according to him.)

Anyway, yeah, now it all seems fine. :p: Thanks people!
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

It's big, clunky software that uses up far more resources at all times than any other virus scanner i know of. It's not as good at picking up viruses as proper AV like symantec corporate or NOD32. it's bloated, overadvertised, and costs a fortune for what you get.

Norton is 'fine' as long as you absolutely couldn't care less. anyone who actually cares is going to get a better virus scanner, and that doesn't necessarily mean paying.
in_jeopardy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

when i say slow, i mean slow in comparison (obviously when run on the same machine). Whether the computer its self is considered slow is a separate matter.

to be perfectly honest, if you had a virus norton didn't pick up, you wouldn't know about it. Not all viruses wildly display their presence. the better ones are hidden and remain so.

Even AVG free version has faster and more comprehensive updates than norton.

If you got it for free, fine. But that has no bearing on the people who are paying for it.
Darkness123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Norton's GUI (Graphical User Interface) is very nice but what is behind it all is crap, it is a very bloated piece of software that uses more resources of your computer than AVG or Avast. If you were willing to pay for an anti-virus you should have at least gone with Avast Pro or Kasperspy, but what is done is done since you paid for Norton, it seems you are installing the trial version, did you buy the 1year subscription in the shop or online? Check the HELP -> About or just HELP menu there should be a way to change the activation key. Since I do not use Norton you could try their Forums at http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis or you could also try returning your subscription http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...jsp?id=returns
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Norton is so so so rubbish i would never trust my system with it...chances are you have millions of viruses
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i use avast and willcontinueto do so forever itsgreat,

as for norton, the resources it uses are unbelivable, a simple look at a log filewhen it is running will show you all you need to know lol
_Hayko
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Norton is the dog's *******s (not like the common used phrase, but literally).

When I had it installed a while back, I remember several times seeing a dialogue screen for a virus which stated that it was impossible to remove it since the virus wouldn't allow its own deletion. You know Norton is crap when you have to go and manually delete the virus yourself.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why do people never listen when I say NEVER BUY NORTON? Worst software ever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (541)
37.73%
No - but I will (112)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (97)
6.76%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.7%

Watched Threads