The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Unfortunately living with 6 or 7 people, in a cluster flat such as Eden it's likely that you'll be stuck with one inconsiderate person.

There was many a time I was given warnings for ash trays left in the kitchen in plain sight and had to clean up after people simply because they were out or didn't answer the door when there was a chance of an inspection.

The only advice I can give is to let the wardens/inspectors know early on if someone's playing up (stealing food, not tidying up after themselves etc), though they'll probably tell you to talk to the person in question and sort it out between yourselves, if you're persistant enough they start to get involved. We had a warden called Nigel in Eden, he was a legend :cool:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 21
Thats my only worry, having some little knob that makes it annoying for everyone else. I've already found one of my flat mates and she seems pretty cool so at least I know there's one nice person!
Reply 22
Just hope you don't get put with an eccentric american with OCD (which apparently leads him to leave the -shared- toilet door open while he drops his belongings down the toilet, and use a full roll at each attempt) or a delirious chinease guy that believes every mechanical noise at night is a ghost seeking to haunt him (as well as cooking in his birthday suit in the shared kitchen, where his dangles just happen to be at the exact height of the grill in which your sausages are cooking), as well as the usual arrogant pot addict that invites his friends round to have some social bong action at 3 in the morning, and muting their laddish shouting with all the latest happy hardcore on full blast out of his expensive subwoofers.

*gasp*

On the plus side, atleast it was eventful :p:
Hi there! Here's my experience anyway...

1. The first day
Well I lived in Leighton Halls, which is a private accommodation. First day I arrived, and found 2 guys in the living room, somberly playing Xbox, not talking. I thought, jeez, this year's gonna be great(!) I unpacked, went for dinner in the evening with my family, and then tried to make conversation with the two guys who'd already been there a week earlier than everyone else. People in my flat arrived at different times throughout the week but I wasn't stressed as I'd already spent my first year of uni in another city, so i gave it time. I was already safe in the knowledge that I was gonna meet tons of new people! And I also learnt that your ideas and perceptions of people change dramatically throughout the year; as an example, one of the quiet, serious looking guys is now one of my best friends (he's the least serious person I've ever met in my life, up for laugh more than anyone!), I went to visit him in his home country (he's an international student), and the other guy quit after a few months in Preston and we never heard from him again! Funny how things work out, but then that's the best thing about moving away to uni, you learn so much, you go on such a journey with people and make friends for life. As for the first day, seriously, everyone's in the same boat, and you'll wonder why you were ever worried in the first place (if you are about meeting new people) I made so many friends who were really shy and reticient at first, but you literally see them come out of their shell and relax, nobody's out to cause trouble, we all just want to have fun and create a home away from home.

2. The worst thing that happened
Well, nothing's the 'worst' I guess, **** happens but then **** happens everywhere. I guess uni work becomes a struggle at times, it's hard to balance the good times with the work times, as your life can become consumed by all the dramas, people and goings on in your personal life. Mind you, that is half the fun! I think we all went through a stage where we literally had to lock our doors and stay in our rooms for fear of going out clubbing again and not doing another assignment lol.
Another thing was that there was a bit of a divide in our flat between a few of us and one guy in our flat. He moved his girlfriend into our flat, and had his mates round all the time taking over the living room. As cpj1987 said in his post, the dynamics of the first few weeks change. We were all a tight family at first, cooking together, going out etc, but then it changed. It got to the point where management had to sit us down at a meeting and talk things through. Now, depending on what kind of person you are, this could be the 'worst' thing or just another blip in what will probably be a brilliant year. For me, and the type of personality I have, it was a smalll problem (nothing compared to my love life with my boyfriend haha), I made it clear how I felt to their faces and I never felt like I was an intruder in my own home. And so we didn't have much of a problem with one another, though they did eat my food sometimes! But I was a bit too busy having fun to let it ruin anything, but that was me. However my flatmate felt differently, she felt on edge whenever they were around, and was over the moon when they moved out early, which I can completely understand. It's just the way in which you approach things I guess, and we all learn. You'll meet so many other people that rare troublemakers like them will become small fry compared to the amazing people you'll meet. As a side note, the guy, his girlfriend, and his 2 friends never left the house or met any other people. They were from another country and decided to keep to themselves rather than like my other international friends go out and embrace their new life. As a result, they had a miserable time, so again, it's up to you. We tried everything we could to get them out the house, include them in our activities, but they thought they were too cool for school for fun and shenanigans. In the end, they lost out, so be pro-active!

3. Do's and Don'ts

DO make an effort. Thing's won't just happen if you sit on your arse and expect the great uni times to just roll on over to you (like my flatmate, who in the end had a miserable time and wanted to transfer!) Make friends by smiling, approaching people, making an effort in conversation. Even if you're shy and find that hard to do, just join in when invited and stuff, people want to know about you!

DO be open minded. Chances are it's the first time you've moved away from home, meeting people you've never met before, seeing all different types of ways of life/behaviour for the first time, etc, etc. Sometimes it may be strange, or hard to understand, or whatever, but remember everyone else is going through the same thing. You'll find that at the end of the year you'll have changed, but even more miraculous is you'll see how those around you have changed, and sometimes due to your influence! I was so set in my ways at first and thought I knew best, but I've learnt an enormous amount from everyone. cpj1987 mentioned something really important too and that's that thing's change a lot over the course of the year, especially at Christmas. So keep open minded not just at the beginning of the year, but throughout it!

DON'T let uni work slip. Remember why you're at uni in the first place!

DON'T worry. The university has been dealing with thousands of students moving away from home all over the world to them for years and years - there's ALWAYS help. When you're sitting at home thinking about your first year away it is daunting, because the list of all the worries can quickly add up really high, whether it's meeting new people or more practical things like finances. But as long as you have an ounce of responsibilty in you and are not away with the fairies, it'll be fine. Seriously, I have met some of the most unorganised, confused, financially irresponsible people in my life and yet, they pull through! I used to be an over-worrier, about everything, I remember reading through everything on these pages about going away to university, dealing with loans etc before I left. Only to find it was reassuring but I didn't need to! One thing university has taught me is to just ease up; it's good to be responsible and careful, but life can sometimes be a lot easier than you expect.

Phew that was an essay! Hope it was helpful though, I had the best, life changing time with my first year at UCLAN. I've made some amazing friends and as a result have travelled all over England and the world with and to visit them, and I have more travels planned! Good luck with everything!
Reply 24
1)
my first day i remember was boring as hell and nerve wracking at the same time. sitting around getting given very important info packs and the lecturers reading through it to us. although i had moved to preston on my own, to a one bedroomed flat, so i knew nobody. ive been here 2 years now, and moved twice, and i still have not got a single actual friend on my course. i made all of my friends through clubs and societies (which i now find myself inextricably entangled in the running of). most of the people on my course were those who wanted to go out drinking all the time and that was the extent of their hobby list. not my kind of people. but rest assured there is every kind of person you can imagine at uclan, so you are sure to find friends fast.

2)
worst thing that happened to me in my first year was finding i had run out of money a month before my next loan installment and having to live for a month on nothing but toast and marmalade. not fun.

3)
DO make use of the clubs and societies, they are great fun and a brill way to meet new people

DONT spend all your money the week you get it, manage your finances and if you need to get a part time job DONT take on so many hours that your uni work suffers

DONT leave work until the last minute

DO be proactive, we are all grown ups and sadly no one is going to do everything for us

DO keep a balance between work on play, DONT neglect your uni work but at the same time DONT work yourself into the ground.

you will all have a blast, trust me, if you get here and feel overwhelmed, drop me a line and we can go for a quiet drink.
Reply 25
Woah, useful. I'm nervous about starting. 53 days.
Reply 26
I wasn't nervous until I got my corpotate card the other day. I'm absorlutely papping it now though.
Reply 27
Hey

Just came across this thread!

I was wondering if any students have any first day experiences that they would want to post about from last year sept 08 ?
Reply 28
Goddd, asif this time last year i was posting all that.

What sort of stuff? If I talked about first year experience I'd be here forever.
Are you going to Flying Start by any chance? There's a first year experience talk at that, done by yours truely =D (at least one of them will be anyway).
Reply 29
beccaarr
Goddd, asif this time last year i was posting all that.

What sort of stuff? If I talked about first year experience I'd be here forever.
Are you going to Flying Start by any chance? There's a first year experience talk at that, done by yours truely =D (at least one of them will be anyway).

Hey
Thanks for the reply, not first year experiences just the first day when you moved in and stuff. Im not going to flying start this year got to work over summer to save up! :frown:
Reply 30
-Angela-
Hey
Thanks for the reply, not first year experiences just the first day when you moved in and stuff. Im not going to flying start this year got to work over summer to save up! :frown:

Ahh shows how much notice I take at 6am!

Seriously, my first day seems like a few months ago, not nine.
Moving in was pretty good for me, my mum stayed around to help me unpack. I wanted my room sorted before she went so it felt abit more homey. Plus it meant while everyone else was spending the next day sorting their stuff, I could go for a wander and look about. One of the first things I did when I got in my room was put some music on. I was first in and it stopped the place feeling so empty. Its pretty nervy waiting for your other flatmates to arrive though. Unfortunatly for me, mine werent very chatty at all (and it stayed that way all year ¬_¬).
Once everyones arrived, you get called to go to 53 Degrees where there's welcome talk.
After that, most people would go off with their flatmates. My mate and I from home (we both came here together) went off to the pub to have a mingle, I bumped into a few people I'd been chatting to on Facebook and we just spent the rest of the night checking out the pubs around campus.

Its stupidly nerve racking, but it goes by so quickly. I'd love to do it again. I move out of halls on Wednesday and I'm seriously going to miss it.
Reply 31
beccaarr
Ahh shows how much notice I take at 6am!

Seriously, my first day seems like a few months ago, not nine.
Moving in was pretty good for me, my mum stayed around to help me unpack. I wanted my room sorted before she went so it felt abit more homey. Plus it meant while everyone else was spending the next day sorting their stuff, I could go for a wander and look about. One of the first things I did when I got in my room was put some music on. I was first in and it stopped the place feeling so empty. Its pretty nervy waiting for your other flatmates to arrive though. Unfortunatly for me, mine werent very chatty at all (and it stayed that way all year ¬_¬).
Once everyones arrived, you get called to go to 53 Degrees where there's welcome talk.
After that, most people would go off with their flatmates. My mate and I from home (we both came here together) went off to the pub to have a mingle, I bumped into a few people I'd been chatting to on Facebook and we just spent the rest of the night checking out the pubs around campus.

Its stupidly nerve racking, but it goes by so quickly. I'd love to do it again. I move out of halls on Wednesday and I'm seriously going to miss it.

It sounds nerve wracking! But thanks tho its given me an idea of what to expect and stuff. Were would we all be without facebook - ive started chatting to a few people who are there next year which is a definate plus !
Reply 32
sounds ok for u lol :smile: i hope my first day goes ok! I dont know anyone else who is going Uclan! :s-smilie: hope my flat mates are good!
Reply 33
they cant all be bad ! - im sure you will be fine :smile:
Reply 34
-Angela-
Were would we all be without facebook - ive started chatting to a few people who are there next year which is a definate plus !

That, yougofurther and this were amazing for me. A few of the people I first started chatting to on Facebook became my best friends, and I move in with them next week!
Reply 35
I'l look it up thanks !
Reply 36
Might as well add my moneys worth!

I arrived pretty late afternoonish to my accom, meaning the majority of my flatmates had already moved in etc. I unloaded the car with my parents and set up the more essential things. We then went to do a big food shop and stuck that all away in the kitchen.
The only thing about my move in day i kinda regret somewhat is that due to arriving late ish by the time id done everything and my parents had left it was gone 6 and the flat was empty as everyone was off finding other people, luckily id been talking to 2 of my flatmates on facebook so they came knocking at mine to say where everyone was..and then we went of to 53!

Seems like absolutely ages ago. It is nerve wracking and no matter how many ways you think of to make the day easier, you'll still be nervous. Dont worry though, im thankful to have some of the best flatmates and living with them everyday means you soon get along with each other (or hopefully will do as the case may be!)

Trust me, you'll miss it by the time you come to move out next year. I will and im moving out next week!
Reply 37
I left my flat today. Going back to move everything from there into my new house on Saturday. Its well wierd.
Reply 38
beccaarr
I left my flat today. Going back to move everything from there into my new house on Saturday. Its well wierd.

Strange aint it!?

Ive to take all my stuff home aswell, living in a new house next year and their behind so its not ready till the end of July :frown: Where you moving to?
Reply 39
Becky_90
Strange aint it!?

Ive to take all my stuff home aswell, living in a new house next year and their behind so its not ready till the end of July :frown: Where you moving to?

Just up Brook Street, the far end. You?

Latest

Trending

Trending