After Cambridge? Watch

priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EscapeTheFate)
so what exactly would you do in the civil service? and what is fast stream?

I always imagined it to just be getting statistics for the government departments... can't see why it is so popular?
statisticians are just one element of the civil service. The others do all sorts of things, like creating and reforming policy, developing new government initiatives on behalf of their respective ministers, handling the press and comms in different government departments etc. It's popular because it's a pretty stable job, cushy (no ridiculous hours as with some private sector firms) and very family-friendly. With many graduates (particularly at places like oxbridge), the foreign office faststream is particularly popular, mainly for the instant travel opportunities.

Oh, and you only need a minimum of a 2.ii to join the civil service.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Earning's a funny one. I'm pretty confident I could leave uni and get a job paying around £50,000 in the first year.
Doing what?! :eek: I want
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
You're probably not as inert as you suspect. :p:
Hmmm, if you are telling people they are probably not "inert" without any information, I can't think of where an obvious case of inertness would be. I can't think of anyone who does *nothing* apart from their degree, and to be honest, even in those cases I don't think Oxbridge does nothing for you career-wise. A brillant Mathematician WILL be employable, regardless of how soulless he is.

Maybe you are assuming we are talking about humanities degrees, where being a bit more unique helps. But then how many arts students at Cambridge aren't unique and passionate about lots of stuff? Arts subjects aren't really box-tick worthy, and you don't just memorise facts in the same way as you do for other numerical degrees, so it would be very unusual to do well in arts subjects with a one-track mind.
Supermerp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Doing what?! :eek: I want
Professional Ceilidh band playing, I assumed. Inter-village competitions get a bit heated these days.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Supermerp)
Professional Ceilidh band playing, I assumed. Inter-village competitions get a bit heated these days.
*chuckles* Absolutely! The stakes are really high.

(Original post by Adhsur)
Hmmm, if you are telling people they are probably not "inert" without any information, I can't think of where an obvious case of inertness would be.
Well it's not "without any information", is it, as I've 'known' her for quite a while! :p: More to the point, however, surely the smileys at either end of my comment should tell you the way it should be taken...:rolleyes: I wasn't providing a detailed psychometric evaluation, for goodness' sake!

As for the rest of your post...I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say...But I'm going to go and do some baking, anyway. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.67%
No - but I will (106)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.68%

Watched Threads