tattoo? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by munchie_rox)
It can only be seen with a non collar shirt and hair right up in a bun, i'm going to air on the side of caution and cover it, then i'll declare if/when i get in i think. But thank you for all the help!
As my honourable friend 556 said, thats a default on enlistment and you're very likely to be UNFASed or even SNLRed if you do that. Tell the recruiter everything.

What I overheard my recruitment sergeant saying was that tats cannot be above the collar of a C95 shirt, or below the cuffs of a C95 shirt.
FiveFiveSix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AC Bloggs)
Well if forearms is one of the areas tatoos supposedly aren't allowed then it just shows how relaxed they are on that rule. I've met absolutely shed loads of people, ACs through to SGTs and above, arms totally plastered in the things, many of those people being instructors I've had through Halton/Cosford. That one is quite inconspicuous by comparison.

Whether you do put it down on the declaration form is down to you end of the day, but bear in mind you'll have a medical at some point where it might be spotted.
That's for entry requirements. The rules are relaxed after you're in - the government isn't going to spend all that money training you, only to kick you out if you got a tattoo. However, your career prospects (from what I've been told) are likely to be limited after something like that.
munchie_rox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Ducki)
As my honourable friend 556 said, thats a default on enlistment and you're very likely to be UNFASed or even SNLRed if you do that. Tell the recruiter everything.

What I overheard my recruitment sergeant saying was that tats cannot be above the collar of a C95 shirt, or below the cuffs of a C95 shirt.

...which is why i plan on covering it ...
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, but as other posters are saying, you risk being booted if you're caught.

The other issue that bugs me personally about it, although I don't know how the army would feel, is that it appears to be written in Arabic, or a similar middle-eastern language. I don't know how well that would go down given the current state of fighting in the world.
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The latest info I can find, taken from

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../63/63we06.htm

RN/RM
Reviewed 1998.

Applicants will be rejected if they have any tattoo, whether visible or not, which is obscene or offensive (eg racist, anti-religious, crude, overtly sexist or of an extreme political nature). Tattoos which are visible in "parade uniform", ie on the face, neck and ears are also not permitted. Discretion is exercised, however, over tattoos on the hands and fingers.

Army
Reviewed 1997.

Any visible tattoo(s) excessive in size or number, offensive or obscene will be a bar to enlistment or re-enlistment. By definition, this refers to tattoos which are visible on individuals wearing parade uniform. This does not include shirt sleeve order and issue sports uniform. The visible area comprises face and neck.

RAF
Reviewed 1997.

An applicant who has a tattoo which is obscene or offensive, or which is visible when in uniform, is ineligible for RAF service. For a tattoo on a female's leg to be acceptable it should be covered by a single small plaster.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Yeah, but as other posters are saying, you risk being booted if you're caught.

The other issue that bugs me personally about it, although I don't know how the army would feel, is that it appears to be written in Arabic, or a similar middle-eastern language. I don't know how well that would go down given the current state of fighting in the world.

I should really hope it would have as much bearing as if i was an arabic english person wishing to enlist.

Unless it says **** all the arabs, i do not see the problem with the content, its the placement which is up for discussion.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So you're wannabe RMP, and you're willing to lie to get in?

Anyone else see the irony in that?

How could you look anyone in the face while arresting them if you succesfully get in?

Integrity - It's what we're all about.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing some googling around this.

Have yet to find the policy, but have found this;

May 2008; Army bars tattooed man from re-enlisting

A FORMER soldier who served in Iraq has been refused a return to the Army because of a tattoo on his neck.

Mark Storey, from Guisborough, is desperate to resurrect his career with the Parachute Regiment, but keeps on getting refused because his tattoo is higher than his collar line.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
how could i look anyone in the face?!

Good grief, please get off that horse...its so high.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
I'm doing some googling around this.

Have yet to find the policy, but have found this;

May 2008; Army bars tattooed man from re-enlisting
Yeha io saw that earlier, bit bigger than mine and all. I would ask me Dad abuot this with him being in. But he doesnt know about the tattoo lol. I'll have a word with a family friend and see what he says.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

So are the standards for entry into the Forces. Enjoy civvy street.

Edited to add: Besides, if you arrest anyone, you can bet your arse they'll do anything to discredit you in a trial... If that little gem comes up, you're sunk.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

You asked for advice, and worse, you confessed that you are prepared to lie to get in.

Don't get all moody when the advice doesn't go your way.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeha io saw that earlier, bit bigger than mine and all. I would ask me Dad abuot this with him being in. But he doesnt know about the tattoo lol. I'll have a word with a family friend and see what he says.
But as you so willingly pointed out to me earlier, we're talking about placement. That doesn't include size.

The regulations are, as I see it, clear. the 'visable areas' for tattoes include face and neck.

The best thing you can do is be honest and pray like ****, and prepare for the fact you might not get in.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
You asked for advice, and worse, you confessed that you are prepared to lie to get in.

Don't get all moody when the advice doesn't go your way.

If you read the whole thread, i think all would agree the advice didnt go my way, i just didnt like your massive over-reaction aobut me not being able to look people in the face, when it has been said and i know of people who are in and have neck tattoos.

I'm not trying to lie about AIDS here.

But, as said, i will have a discussion with somone i know, rather than someone at the AFCO.

I do however, appreciate the opinions.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you read the whole thread, i think all would agree the advice didnt go my way, i just didnt like your massive over-reaction aobut me not being able to look people in the face, when it has been said and i know of people who are in and have neck tattoos.

But, as said, i will have a discussion with somone i know, rather than someone at the AFCO.

Wasn't my 'massive over-reaction' love.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
Wasn't my 'massive over-reaction' love.

terribly sorry hun.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

First mistake - Massive over-reaction. Sweetheart, that hardly registered on the outrageometer. I'm just telling you like it is, and how many people will react to the knowledge you're a liar without integrity.

Second mistake - Assuming there are degrees of lying. A lie is a lie to the Army, and you will be very lucky not to get (as Ducki said) SNLR'd or something similar.

Third mistake - Not discussing your problems with your AFCO. Why does everyone seem to think that their mates/relatives/people on anonymous internet forums know better than the paid professionals? Those guys are there to do a job. Don't come on here and bleat about it, go and have a serious discussion with your recruiter - it's their job. God knows we need people at the moment, so there is a chance you could get dispensation. But DO NOT, DO NOT and I say again DO NOT lie about it. Firstly, it's a ****ty foundation for an Armed Forces career, and secondly, it speaks volumes about your character.
GR29KHS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
Nope, from what I've read of the tattoo regs, it's none on face, neck, hands/forearms, and must not be visible when wearing a t-shirt. If you choose to cover it however, and then declare it later, your integrity will be questioned, and you might even be booted out. The Armed Forces don't like liars. Still, best of luck with whatever you do, but choose wisely.
Are the Army and RAF regs the same as far as tattoos go? I only seem to remember reading that they can't be visible in No.1s for RAF (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). In which case, it would depend on which force the OP wants to join.

I really would get the opinion of a careers office. Because it's on the back of your neck you never know and if you say it can be covered by a collar then it might be OK.

Don't go by advice on an anonymous forum on this, and please don't rise to the bait - it isn't worth it. I still bear the mental scars from last time I tried!
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GR29KHS)
Are the Army and RAF regs the same as far as tattoos go? I only seem to remember reading that they can't be visible in No.1s for RAF (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). In which case, it would depend on which force the OP wants to join.
Haven't got a clue. It wouldn't surprise me if they were different, although I don't see why standards should be different in different services. There you go, OP, if the Army gives you the brush off, you could always go a shade of light blue! :rolleyes:

AFAIK, neck tattoos are a big no-no, no matter what size or what they depict.
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
See post #25!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads