How is the jump from GCSE to As/A level? Watch

paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found the jump slightly more difficult then most people.

I was used to not working at all for GCSE and still doing find, got me into terrible habits so i didn't do as well as i could have at AS level, didn't do any homework, hardly revised, etc. I didn't revise for philosophy at all and ended up with an E (module grades B, E, U) which was bad because i loved philosophy.

In my second year i've taken it a lot more seriously but i started revising too late, i think i've done okay in the exams but if i had the money i would stay in college for two more years, unfortunately this isn't an option. Though i'm really proud i'm amongst the few people in Psychology that could tick the "i've attempted all pieces of homework set" box on the course evaluation form.

EDIT: oh and we were expected to double our class time up in our own time, for every one hour and ten minute lesson we were expected to spend the same amount of time working at home (4 lessons a week). However, we were never given enough homework for this, apparently it's just working from the textbook and going over the notes, though i'm unaware of anyone who did this.
Westernnimbus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought the transition from GCSE to AS was seamless, although my mindframe sortof changed aswel. Before I wasn't really bothered about school, but once I hit sixth form I felt more responsible, and started spending time actually studying in library.

For me, the change from studying lots of subjects I didn't like at a low level to studying subjects I enjoy at a higher level was a very welcome one.
andyroo161
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
It depends on the subjects you take to the amount of homework you get. If you do essay based subjects then it is possibly you could have 4hours a night, but if you do science based ones it is very unlikely. Also use your free lessons to do some homework, not just mess around.
Fictitious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't really notice an increase in workload when I started AS, and I've been much less stressed this year compared to how I was during GCSEs, but I think perhaps my time-management skills have improved!

Despite not being inundated with essays as I'd expected to be, the content of the courses is generally harder and requires more thought and effort etc - as long as you're willing to put the work in, I'm sure you'll find it manageable! The jump isn't nearly as bad as most people make out! The hardest thing for me was adjusting to college life and not the actual work itself.
So you'll be fine

Ooh and about the four hours a night thing - we were told that at my college too, but it's lies!! :p: Unless you're preparing for an exam, or working on coursework, you'll never normally need to do that much!
Shokz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Huge jump if you ask me.

Hard work very hard IN Comparison to Gcse , gonna have to get your head down and do the stuff from day 1 , if you fall behind then your a gonner no doubt...
dangermouse00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So i started the other day and I've found it ok, apart from english Lit, which i plan to drop if I still don't like it at the end of next week.
Nimbus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally, i haven't detected a jump and tbh I am finding the first chapter of biology and chemistry stuff manageable (similar to stuff I've learnt in GCSE module 3s).
Maths just flows nicely from GCSE. =)
German is...not sure(only had a lesson and it was like GCSE, the teacher was probably being nice on the day).XD
gradu
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well

1st lessons i had in AS on friday

maths wasnt too bad, but im very good at it ^^
bio was okay! but will get harder...
Chem....HARD LOL! XD
phy....not bad !

im just gonna keep working hard
rnshan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was told 5 hrs / week / subjects. ! (Outside school hrs). I take 5 at As level. I reckon, one can get very good grades just studying thoses hrs WITHOUT going to school. So why go to school :confused:
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I'm finding the jump quite big.
baedalores
Report 10 years ago
I have'nt even started lessons yet :O
JayAyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
4 hours per subject in a week is like 2 weeks of school in the space of 1.
dangermouse00
Rep:
?
Ok, well so far I'm finding that I have a lot more work to do so, I think I'm sort of finding it a little hard to adjust, but I'm getting there, it's just stupid English Lit.
OhSoRetro
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3A's, 6B's and 1C, you got the same as me lol.

As long as you keep on top of things and you're understanding the work then you'll be fine. whether it takes you 20 mins, an hour or 2 and a half.

I doubt very much you'll need to be doing 4 hours a night though!
JustRach
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The jump from GCSE to AS is huge, at least, it was for me. I suppose it depends on how naturally intelligent you are (I'm not, so I have to put a lot of work in) and what subjects you're taking.
A lot of people don't realise how much more work they need to put in until results day in March.
Keep on top of it from the start and you'll be fine.

As for the jump from AS to A2...Well it's only day 3, so I'll get back to you on that :p:
Mr Nonsense
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ahve hardly any homework yet.... maybe it is the subjects i am doing...??
dangermouse00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Nonsense)
I ahve hardly any homework yet.... maybe it is the subjects i am doing...??
Lucky you. I finally finished the monster of a homework which took me like three days to do. Things are better now, but i still have alot of work to do.
Nimbus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gosh..I remember my GCSE german teacher told us A-level languages doesn't have much homework but urrggghh.... she didn't tell me we have to self study liek ltos instead to be able to complete our essay tasks. Ahhhh!
Balanderes
Report 10 years ago
I didn't find the jump too bad.I loved being able to choose exactly which subjects I wanted to do rather than having to slog my through the likes of Tech and RS at GCSE. The biggest change I found was the amount of free time I had in school. The amount of times I spent my free periods just messing about and not doing any work was unbelievable. In the AS year you really need to knuckle down for coursework and exam time, but I think it's a year where you can gain a lot more independence and enjoy yourself.

One thing I would advise is to be careful after you get your AS results. It is easy to relax if you've done very well in a subject and think the A is in the bag. I sort of did this subconciously after getting a high A in Gov & Politics at AS. Subsequently, I fouled up some of my January A2 exams, which led to more unnecessary stress in the Summer. I think it's important not to overload/stress yourself with too much work at AS and A2. Just make sure you pay attention and understand the concepts in class and I don't think there is a huge amount to do at home if you use your free periods fairly wisely.
bharatk
Report 10 years ago
it jus really depends on what subject............. i did politics law maths and economics. i thought it was quite ok although there is a bridge in the amount or work and the fact that i had to actually use my brain a bit.

u cant jus dos like u can for gcse and get away with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise