The grip training thread. Watch

Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Arka)
I counted 184 ....
I read somewhere that apparently the early production no3 handgrippers were harder to close.
184 in a population of 6.6 billion is pretty much a handful of a handful of a handful.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how many of those 6.6billion are grip training though?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bebbs)
how many of those 6.6billion are grip training though?
Well, Not many I suppose, but most lifters grip train, specially powerlifters, and China alone produces around 2-3 million oly lifters
mart1203
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
woah Samuelsson's a beast! I'd be interested to whether I could close number 1.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by mart1203)
woah Samuelsson's a beast! I'd be interested to whether I could close number 1.
Well, obviously. He's one of the leading contestants in the Strong Man comps. He's also been the best arm wrestler in the world due to his insane grip strength.

I remember reading a Mariusz Pudzianowski interview in which he said he couldn't close the No. 4.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's the cheapest anyone has found these for?
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
Have you got any pictures up? Doubting the 2 close x 4! That would mean a 2.5 close. Pretty close to the 3, and only a handful of people have closed the 3.
My only real stats are closing the HG200 for 8 reps with both hands. As I said, I don't know how this stacks up with CoC. I think it's easier but not much easier than the #2, which is why I estimated I could close the #2 for 3 or 4. I think I can close the HG250 at least once with my right hand, but I'm not sure.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cortez)
What's the cheapest anyone has found these for?
They don't come cheaper than what they've been listed as on the website. They aren't sold through conventional stores, I don't think so at least.

Definitely worth it though.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by burningnun)
My only real stats are closing the HG200 for 8 reps with both hands. As I said, I don't know how this stacks up with CoC. I think it's easier but not much easier than the #2, which is why I estimated I could close the #2 for 3 or 4. I think I can close the HG250 at least once with my right hand, but I'm not sure.

I PB'd on the HG200 with 8 reps (left hand).
So first you say you closed it 8 times with your left hand, and now it's 8 times with both hands?

Anyways..
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So first you say you closed it 8 times with your left hand, and now it's 8 times with both hands?

Anyways..
Yup. I'm right handed, so when I train grip I do my left hand first and match whatever I got with my right hand, which is why I thought it was worth noting that those stats are with my weaker hand. I expect I could get more with my right hand if I didn't do it like this, but I don't really see the point. I should get a new camera on Saturday, but I'm not sure if I can upload vids here. If I can't, I'll get vids up by the 18th.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Yup. I'm right handed, so when I train grip I do my left hand first and match whatever I got with my right hand, which is why I thought it was worth noting that those stats are with my weaker hand. I expect I could get more with my right hand if I didn't do it like this, but I don't really see the point. I should get a new camera on Saturday, but I'm not sure if I can upload vids here. If I can't, I'll get vids up by the 18th.
Alright. Pretty good grip if you haven't been following a progression.

Were you able to close the HG200 without previously closing the 150 or training with grippers/pinching/static holding etc?
meathead1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did you actively train grip or did it come from deads, snatching etc? Any details on how you've trained it to that level?

300kg static, Jesus. For how long? Tried closing any CoCs?
I actively train pinch grip in my off season, but never normal grip (ie on a barbell) work.

I basically did grip training 2 days of the week, 1 day was static holds (10-30secs) and the other pickups (3-8 sets of 3-5).

Took me a couple of years to get to that level, but I only train it for 3-4 months a time then take a break. Too much grip work can lead to tendonitis.

My training partner brought his CoC to the gym once and I did a couple of reps with the #2 I think it was (right hand).
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, and wrt the static hold, when I deadlifted 310 I held it at the top for a good 5 seconds and grip was no issue whatsoever. I have a vague recollection of static holding 320 for 15secons about a year ago.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by meathead1987)
Oh, and wrt the static hold, when I deadlifted 310 I held it at the top for a good 5 seconds and grip was no issue whatsoever. I have a vague recollection of static holding 320 for 15secons about a year ago.
Oh I thought you were talking about a static RAISE hold, as in a quarter of a curl and holding it there. Obviously 300kg during that wouldn't be too possible.

If we're talking about static hang holds then it's plausible.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright. Pretty good grip if you haven't been following a progression.

Were you able to close the HG200 without previously closing the 150 or training with grippers/pinching/static holding etc?
I was doing 3 sets of max reps once per week when I was doing a conjugate split. I don't think I could close the HG200 at all when I first got it, but I closed it for 16 reps with my right hand yesterday, and 7 with my left. Grip training is all I can do at the moment so hopefully those numbers will shoot up and I will close the 250 with both hands.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh I thought you were talking about a static RAISE hold, as in a quarter of a curl and holding it there. Obviously 300kg during that wouldn't be too possible.

If we're talking about static hang holds then it's plausible.
WHy the hell would you want to do that? Sounds like a recipe for a bicep tear.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
WHy the hell would you want to do that? Sounds like a recipe for a bicep tear.
Well, You wouldn't do it with 300kg, but with lighter loads it's not bad for forearm and grip development
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, You wouldn't do it with 300kg, but with lighter loads it's not bad for forearm and grip development
What advantage does it hold over normal static holds though?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
What advantage does it hold over normal static holds though?
The flexor compartment of the forearms are more involved, and extensors are worked antagonistically. Also, A hang hold is a compound lift and brings a lot of other muscles into the equation, such as the Trapezius, etc. A raise hold only involves your flexor and extensor compartments, biceps, brachialis and grip.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think i may start cycling box deads into my lifting which, as a result of increased ROM, should develop grip strength.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads