(Original post by Absurd)
Chicken chow mein
Prawn toast
Vegetable spring rolls
Egg fried rice
Lemon chicken
Chicken satay

:coma:
Thats pretty much what I get every time I have chinese :five: Next time you have a chinese I am inviting myself around :hmmm:

I could live on lemon chicken
live.laugh.love
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
crispy duck pancakes
egg fried rice
hong kong style sweet+sour chicken

mmmmmmmmm:p:
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Local chinese place lets you fill up a takeaway box with whatever you like for just under a fiver:
Spring rolls
Chicken chow mein
Prawn toast
Egg fried rice
Duck pancakes
Lemon chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Chilli crispy beef
a little seaweed
:love:

this is making me hungry!
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SuperDaz)
Thats pretty much what I get every time I have chinese :five: Next time you have a chinese I am inviting myself around :hmmm:

I could live on lemon chicken
Good taste :five:
circlesquaretriangle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im sorry but there is SO much more to chinese food than your local takeaway. im half chinese and cannot stand the average chinese takeaway and the mentality of some people that all i eat at home is egg fried rice and prawn crackers. when was the last time you saw a chinese person in a chinese takeaway? likewise for indian takeaways. is english food completely contained within chips, fish and battered sausage?
dim sum is very extensive; tofu, chickens feet, deep fried squid, steamed raddish, custard buns, red bean paste buns it goes on and on.. if you really want a taste of the orient id suggest that you head to your nearest chinatown and seek out a proper sit-down restaurant (not a buffet!) where a lot of chinese people are inside (always a good indicator). dim sum is not always served on every day, maybe sunday morning/early afternoon is a good bet as dim sum is a very sociable meal where a family will go out and share lots of little dishes. and then make your mind up on chinese food.
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sick Puppy)
Local chinese place lets you fill up a takeaway box with whatever you like for just under a fiver:
Spring rolls
Chicken chow mein
Prawn toast
Egg fried rice
Duck pancakes
Lemon chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Chilli crispy beef
a little seaweed
:love:

this is making me hungry!
That's not Gourmet Buffet, is it?
Reflexive
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by circlesquaretriangle)
im sorry but there is SO much more to chinese food than your local takeaway. im half chinese and cannot stand the average chinese takeaway and the mentality of some people that all i eat at home is egg fried rice and prawn crackers. when was the last time you saw a chinese person in a chinese takeaway? likewise for indian takeaways. is english food completely contained within chips, fish and battered sausage?
dim sum is very extensive; tofu, chickens feet, deep fried squid, steamed raddish, custard buns, red bean paste buns it goes on and on.. if you really want a taste of the orient id suggest that you head to your nearest chinatown and seek out a proper sit-down restaurant (not a buffet!) where a lot of chinese people are inside (always a good indicator). dim sum is not always served on every day, maybe sunday morning/early afternoon is a good bet as dim sum is a very sociable meal where a family will go out and share lots of little dishes. and then make your mind up on chinese food.
I would like to try some proper chinese like this but I'm not too keen on the thought of some of the things, like chickens feet. That's the only thing that puts me off...

I do love special fried rice though, and I mean I really do
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh now I want chinese :coma:
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
Chinese is nice, Wagamama's have some nice stuff there
Please tell me you're joking....
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No way! Chinese food rocks! Sweet and sour chicken, pork fried noodles, beef in black bean sauce, peking duck...
circlesquaretriangle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reflexive)
I would like to try some proper chinese like this but I'm not too keen on the thought of some of the things, like chickens feet. That's the only thing that puts me off...

I do love special fried rice though, and I mean I really do
yeah i can understand that 'chickens feet' sounds disgusting. i guess when theres 1 billion people to feed you have to get resourceful with your animals! personally i cant stomach the idea of eating eel or snails (ive tried both btw). if youre in london anytime soon theres an excellent restaurant with 'trolly dollies' who run around with trolleys and you pick what you like the look of. try first and ask whats in it later is a good way to discover new dishes.

alternatively chinese restaurants at dinner are alright. but dont feel limited to 'no 42. sweet and sour please' is what im trying to get at.
angel_night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love chinese!

sweet and sour chicken
egg fried rice
bean sprouts in ginger and spring onion sauce
singpore chow mein

Ruth xx
Hanoi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by circlesquaretriangle)
I agree with you most of the take away stuff is just food adapted for British tastes, you wouldn't find sweet and sour chicken or prawn toast anywhere in China. And I don't think Chinese people eat egg fried rice at all! XD

However restaurants in London Chinatown are mainly pretty good since these restaurants cater to mainly Chinese people, dim sum in Chinatown on Saturday afternoon is very nice.
*Miss-Brightside*
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chinese food in the UK is so westernised that it's not even real authentic Chinese dishes.

Everytime I go out there, I always practically starve or eat the same thing over and over again cos it's sooooo different, and nothing like western Chinese food.

Although I love the spicy dishes, hot pot and the Beijing Duck
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people that like Chinese like Chinglish, not Chinese. Real Chinese food is quite different to what you get at your local take-away.

EDIT: As above
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol sau mai good choice. congee is quite nice also har gau, wor tip i think its pronounced but i call it dumpling.. chong fun, and gai bau (chicken bun)/ pork bun. gai guat (chicken feet) cantonese is pronounced something different.. can't remember cos i only speak hakka
crazygirl4521
Report 10 years ago
Chinese taste quite good most of the time when done properly.
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
Nope, I like all chinese food available in ENGLAND. The australian version of chinese food has crap noodles and buckets loads of vegetables. Blergh x
Hanoi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
lol sau mai good choice. congee is quite nice also har gau, wor tip i think its pronounced but i call it dumpling.. chong fun, and gai bau (chicken bun)/ pork bun. gai guat (chicken feet) cantonese is pronounced something different.. can't remember cos i only speak hakka
蝦餃 ha gau 燒賣 siu mai the staples of dim sum meal :p:
腸粉 cheung fun
雞包 gay bau - chicken dumping
肉包 YUK bau -pork dumping
鳳爪 fong jau, "phoenix talons" :rofl:

also worth mentioning
糯米雞 lo mai gay
叉燒包 cha siu bau
粥 rice porrige or congee is nice but it only tastes good for me if you poor lots of soy sauce on it!
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hanoi)
蝦餃 ha gau 燒賣 siu mai the staples of dim sum meal :p:
腸粉 cheung fun
雞包 gay bau - chicken dumping
肉包 YUK bau -pork dumping
鳳爪 fong jau, "phoenix talons" :rofl:

also worth mentioning
糯米雞 lo mai gay
叉燒包 cha siu bau
粥 rice porrige or congee is nice but it only tastes good for me if you poor lots of soy sauce on it!
lol lo mi gau i forgot about that!! my mum sometimes makes loads for us yum !! yeah plain congee with lots of soy sauce is just amazing!!! the sau mai's in restaurants often contain a lot of fat in them so my parents tend to make it them themselves.. yeah that's what gai guak (chicken feet) means in cantonese fung jau..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise