?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So... definitely English Lit then?
LUFCsuperstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm having exactly the same issue myself!

Me and a friend both do English and Geog and are trying to decide which one to drop. I'm leaning towards carrying on English while he is going to carry on Geog.

Personally:
English
Pros - Highly sought after A-Level, will help with essay writing for Politics at Uni, enjoy studying literature, strong teacher recommendation

Cons - Has been portrayed as VERY heavy workload with masses of reading and unseen texts in exam, difficult to score high UMS, subjective marking, lots of reading :\

Geography
Pros - Very much enjoy Human Geography, Can learn out of textbook, Shouldn't be too hard to get an A
Cons - BORING physical side (personally), I mean like REALLY boring, No real passion or drive towards it - will detest lessons/work

I'm going to finalise my decision on results day - If I have above 280 in either I'll carry on with them (even if that means I'm doing 4) although its very unlikely that will happen! lol
Andrew_2006
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't understand how English has any use though. If anything it has taught me how to bull***** - but that's not really a useful skill.

If I want to empathise with people, I will go and do some charity work, watch a bit of tv or do something social.

I have nothing against reading, but I don't see how the subject can actually help you. Essay writing, for example, is something that is required in all academic discplines. Any subject like History, English, Economics can teach you essay skills.
LUFCsuperstar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it should be about "use" though.

English literature encourages sensitive and detailed textual analysis; something which, if you must, will be "useful" at university

Moreover the context of a piece of literature can supplement studies in other subjects, such as Politics, History, Economics, Sociology ETC ETC

Finally, simply because it is so academically respected it is worth doing (and being afforded the respect and credit for), especially if you are going on to something more vocational such as music.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Geography A level has a large workload, I have no idea about English lit. I would do the one you enjoy most, if as you say A levels don't matter (because your going a musical degree or its eq). I did find geography very interesting, but in hindsight, I probably should of done History. Similar workload, more skills learnt, and I like both a lot. It was the most time consuming by a huge amount in comparison to my other subjects. Probably in the range of 10:1
UltimateJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jellylegs08)
Thing is, I was told that English was a "proper and serious" subject, and that Geography...really wasn't. Judging by most of these posts, I don't think this is really true...?
In my opinion, its the other way round if anything. Both of them are traditional subjects, and universities will look at both of them seriously.

The general image of English lit students at uni is that they are all dossers doing a cop-out degree, mind you, geographers kind of have that image as well :p:
bex_26797
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did geography AS and hated it, so I chose to keep on english literature instead for A2.

Geography - case studies
- dull videos
- good for sciency people
- not really a big work load to be honest

English literature - exploration of different genres
- drama
- creativity
- quite a big work load
- good to read around
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
Some people are saying that geography has a big work load, others are saying that it's really small...

I know it's different with different boards but I'm doing edexcel spec B for geography if anyone could give me feedback on that one if possible?

If I do choose to do English Literature, I'll be doing Edexcel (i think- it's the one with Hamlet, Color of Purple and Wuthering Heights). Has anyone done this course?

Demoskratos7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why would you want to learn about mud slopes, groynes and rip-rap (the only things I can remember from GCSE Geoggers) when you could be reading Shakespeare? Although it's a non-sensical comparison, personally I'd say: "do English!"
Feexx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right well i did both to A2 level and i personally think the skills learned in English lit are inf fact very much applicable to everyday life, as it teaches you how to write welland also to analyse. I loved English but found the marking is actually very subjective and if you don't like the question you get in the exam, you're pretty much screwed
Personally i thought geography was an easier (though less enjoyable) subject but i did learn a lot from it and the human side was really interesting. However i think one of the reasons i found geography easier than other people in my class was because i was able to express my points clearly, and found the essay writing part of it easy, and this was due to me taking English
Both are well respected subjects though
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Feexx)
Right well i did both to A2 level and i personally think the skills learned in English lit are inf fact very much applicable to everyday life, as it teaches you how to write welland also to analyse. I loved English but found the marking is actually very subjective and if you don't like the question you get in the exam, you're pretty much screwed
Personally i thought geography was an easier (though less enjoyable) subject but i did learn a lot from it and the human side was really interesting. However i think one of the reasons i found geography easier than other people in my class was because i was able to express my points clearly, and found the essay writing part of it easy, and this was due to me taking English
Both are well respected subjects though
This is what scares me most and is the main reason (if not the only reason) that's stopping me from choosing English.
Andrew_2006
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You anaylse and have to write well in all subjects not just English..That argument really doesn't wash with me

If you want to doss around for 2 years, do English, that's what I did. But if you want something stimulating and probably more challenging do Geography.
Feexx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Andrew_2006)
You anaylse and have to write well in all subjects not just English..That argument really doesn't wash with me

If you want to doss around for 2 years, do English, that's what I did. But if you want something stimulating and probably more challenging do Geography.
maths?
i found the absolute opposite. I did little work in geography and got almost full marks last year, yet English literature i worked my arse of to get an A. I would also consider English more stimulating as a lot of the class lessons involve discussing the texts where as geography its more learning the stuff and applying it in an exam. But meh just my take on things
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
I've heard that it's pretty hard to get an A in english. Why are so many people saying it's a doss subject?
sundogs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do English Lit!

(i'm biased obviously because i love it and i never did geography gcse) but it'll be so much more enjoyable.

english lit will be a nice contrast to the really factual biology and physics.

carrying on a major essay subject like english lit will help in general studies when u have to write essays for a bit of it where as i believe geography is not so big on the essays.

i think it is hard to do well in english (well thats what we've always been told by mrs ssn!) but im sure you're more than capable of it.

you've already done Macbeth which we'll be doing as part of coursework.

you'll get better teachers (probably) for english at our school.

do english!

(you might be with me!)
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
Having spoken to geographers and englishers at my school (who have done/are doing the same syllabus as the one i'll be doing) the majority seem advise that i should do english. The main reason being that geography is really boring and that A2, you have to write really really big essays about case studies (which is the bit I hate most lol) containing particular phrases/words to gain marks, while in English, you can get marks for how you write in as well as what you write...
sundogs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jellylegs08)
Having spoken to geographers and englishers at my school (who have done/are doing the same syllabus as the one i'll be doing) the majority seem advise that i should do english. The main reason being that geography is really boring and that A2, you have to write really really big essays about case studies (which is the bit I hate most lol) containing particular phrases/words to gain marks, while in English, you can get marks for how you write in as well as what you write...
*nods in agreement*
Swordofloveanddeath
Report 10 years ago
I personally (not a fact) think english lit is better than geography, in the way it prepares you for real life. English is more your own imagination and you have to be very good at analysing, but geography is more about just remebering facts, Geography is fun they go on trips and stuff and the coursework is really enjoyable .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads