Cameron proposes automatic jail sentence for knife carriers. Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
A knife seems like a pretty crap defensive weapon, likely to get you in prison. I would rather have a TASER or a can of Mace, which are, of course, both illegal.
Yes, because we can all get a taser and a can of mace from our kitchen:rolleyes: .
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Yes, because we can all get a taser and a can of mace from our kitchen:rolleyes: .
I was responding to a post about carrying a weapon for defence, which had nothing to do with kitchens.

I think all those duplicate accounts must have made you confused.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was responding to a post about carrying a weapon for defence, which had nothing to do with kitchens.

I think all those duplicate accounts must have made you confused.
I know what you were responding to, my response to yours was that normal people in this country can't get tazers but they can get knives. Sorry if it wasn't dumbed down enough for you, I will write with your toddler intelligence in mind next time .
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know what you were responding to, my response to yours was that normal people in this country can't get tazers but they can get knives. Sorry if it wasn't dumbed down enough for you, I will write with your toddler intelligence in mind next time .
I actually happen to be aware that it is hard to get hold of those objects. The way I said "which are, of course, both illegal" was a subtle clue - too subtle for you, obviously. My brain couldn't imagine that anyone would be so stupid as to miss that, and I don't think a toddler could either so in that respect you can be forgiven for thinking my brain is like that of a toddler.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I actually happen to be aware that it is hard to get hold of those objects. The way I said "which are, of course, both illegal" was a subtle clue - too subtle for you, obviously. My brain couldn't imagine that anyone would be so stupid as to miss that, and I don't think a toddler could either so in that respect you can be forgiven for thinking my brain is like that of a toddler.
O right, in high lighting their legality you were saying that you couldn't get them? Of course. Knives are illegal to carry on the street past a few inches without good reason, that doesn't mean you can't get them. This is obviously getting a bit difficult for you, have you missed nap time ?
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
O right, in high lighting their legality you were saying that you couldn't get them? Of course. Knives are illegal to carry on the street past a few inches without good reason, that doesn't mean you can't get them. This is obviously getting a bit difficult for you, have you missed nap time ?
Knives are not illegal to get, the other two are, as far as I'm aware.

I can see why that's confusing for you though. Tricky words.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Knives are not illegal to get, the other two are, as far as I'm aware.

I can see why that's confusing for you though. Tricky words.
Why did you even bring up tazers in the first place? It's like me saying a machine gun would be a better defensive weapon, it's just stupid.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why did you even bring up tazers in the first place? It's like me saying a machine gun would be a better defensive weapon, it's just stupid.
Machine guns are non lethal defensive weapons that easily fit into a pocket or a handbag?

They certainly are Elipsis. Keep up the great work, you're my inspiration to become a better person.

edit - why is Elipsis banned? There's nothing in the rules about not being a complete asshat
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Machine guns are non lethal defensive weapons that easily fit into a pocket or a handbag?

They certainly are Elipsis. Keep up the great work, you're my inspiration to become a better person.

edit - why is Elipsis banned? There's nothing in the rules about not being a complete asshat
Elipsis was pointing out that knives are easy to get, and so make convenient defensive weapons, whereas the other weapons are not, so are less common. It's pretty simple really.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Calumcalum)
Elipsis was pointing out that knives are easy to get, and so make convenient defensive weapons, whereas the other weapons are not, so are less common. It's pretty simple really.
Convenient maybe, but not good. If non lethal alternatives were more legal they would probably be more convenient to use, and they will always be better.
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Convenient maybe, but not good. If non lethal alternatives were more legal they would probably be more convenient to use, and they will always be better.
I don't think the intention is to treat the person attacking you with long-term care, it is to defend by any means possible, and knives are easy to get hold of, which is why they are used.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know what the intention is, and I know why knives are used. You're missing my point, which is that the tools I named should NOT be illegal because it’s stupid. If you’re using a knife to defend yourself you need to be close enough to the attacker for him to knife you, which is a bad thing. Not so with pepper spray. You are also likely to be prosecuted if you kill someone with a knife even if they are attacking you, because, rightly or wrongly, it is illegal to carry a knife for self defense. You would get prosecuted for killing someone with pepper spray, except that it’s impossible unless you bludgeon them with the can. TASER deaths are rare and only happen in cases of pre-existing heart defects or ridiculously unreasonable force. Usually both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads