Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turgon)
    The truth is most people don't realise that its a pretty good city until they visit somewhere else/go abroad.
    I've visited a lot of cities in this country, as well as in Europe.

This has served to highlight just exactly how much of a ****hole Leicester really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    It's always seemed safe to me - but apparently we're the 5th most dangerous city in the country...
    I read that in The Mirror but apparently Knowsley is the 6th safest so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I've visited a lot of cities in this country, as well as in Europe.

This has served to highlight just exactly how much of a ****hole Leicester really is.
    Why specifically though? Living there as an outsider for 3 years it's seemed really nice, and I'm from Harrogate, so I'm not exactly used to run down poverty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Why specifically though? Living there as an outsider for 3 years it's seemed really nice, and I'm from Harrogate, so I'm not exactly used to run down poverty...
    No real music scene, awful nightlife, dangerous to walk around at night, dire people.

ReputationRep:
    No real music scene, awful nightlife, dangerous to walk around at night, dire people.
    There is a pretty good music scene? I saw everything from avant garde arty folk to ska punk bands to thrash metal bands during my degree. I hate nightclubs so I don't care about them, but there seem to be some pretty popular ones (though my experience of them has been awful, but better than my experiences in clubs in places like Leeds or Manchester) It's less dangerous to walk around, I found, than most big cities, and in Clarendon Park, where I lived it wasn't dangerous in the slightest, I never gave it so much as a second thought. I don't even know how you can possibly catagorise a city as having 'dire people'? The locals are weird sometimes yeah, but that's true of everywhere. The student body is similar to the other redbricks.

ReputationRep:
    I've never felt as safe in Plymouth as I do in Leicester at night.

Leicester isn't pretty or very remarkable as a city but a student city, it's perfectly decent. Pretty decent shopping, good facilities, nice atmosphere etc etc. It's nice having the two Unis as well, as during term time it gives it a real student buzz.

I like living here but I will admit I don't plan on living here forever! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforev)
    Nothing really just that me being nigerian i wanted to know if they wa a mix of races as generally do hang around with many different kinds of people.
    i'm nigerian too

ReputationRep:
    There is a pretty good music scene? I saw everything from avant garde arty folk to ska punk bands to thrash metal bands during my degree. I hate nightclubs so I don't care about them, but there seem to be some pretty popular ones (though my experience of them has been awful, but better than my experiences in clubs in places like Leeds or Manchester) It's less dangerous to walk around, I found, than most big cities, and in Clarendon Park, where I lived it wasn't dangerous in the slightest, I never gave it so much as a second thought. I don't even know how you can possibly catagorise a city as having 'dire people'? The locals are weird sometimes yeah, but that's true of everywhere. The student body is similar to the other redbricks.
    Why do you think the locals hate it? Students always see the best side of things.

Music scene? There's a couple of crappy venues (Shed, Charlotte) - nightlife... well, the chav clubs (including one which changes its name each time someone gets murdered there) a half decent rock club, and some crappy indie clubs. As for it being dangerous, you realise people have been raped and murdered in Clarendon Park eh?

And dire people... if you'd lived in the city as long as me, you'd realise that the locals aren't just a little "strange", they're absolute tossers.

ReputationRep:
    I live there and guess what i ****ING HATE IT its awful really is

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, this thread is making me extremely excited!

Or, at least it was >.>

5th most dangerous city, mustn't let my Mum know that one :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think the locals hate it? Students always see the best side of things.
    Maybe, I'm just saying my impression of the place, which has been pretty much all positive - hence why I'm staying for post grad.

Music scene? There's a couple of crappy venues (Shed, Charlotte)
    One of the best gigs I saw in Leicester was at the city art gallery on Granby st and the Musician is awesome. It's not a huge music scene but it is growing and there is some really cool stuff going on, like riff raff earlier this year.

- nightlife... well, the chav clubs (including one which changes its name each time someone gets murdered there) a half decent rock club, and some crappy indie clubs.
    Oh, I've heard terrible things about some of the clubs, but that is a little hyperbolous to say the least. I don't like any of the clubs in Leicester.

As for it being dangerous, you realise people have been raped and murdered in Clarendon Park eh?
    When? One murder in 1978 or whatever does not a dangerous area make. I'd walk around Clarendon Park naked wearing a neon sign that flashed 'mug me' before I'd walk through some bits of Leeds.

And dire people... if you'd lived in the city as long as me, you'd realise that the locals aren't just a little "strange", they're absolute tossers.
    Meh, locals everywhere are 'absolute tossers'. One thing I have noticed is that they do seem to be extremely adept at seeing the worst in everything - you might have picked up a bit of that yourself :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RacMan)
    5th most dangerous city, mustn't let my Mum know that one :p:
    Seriously, that is, in my experience, absolute ********, though I can only really speak for the area around the uni. Yeah there is the odd indident, but compared to my mates at Manchester it is a whole different world.

ReputationRep:
    That's good to know! Thank you

ReputationRep:

I'd walk around Clarendon Park naked wearing a neon sign that flashed 'mug me' before I'd walk through some bits of Leeds.
    how can some1 mug you if your naked

ReputationRep:
    Bare yatz to churps and that. Some loose ones rand that town when i was there last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenssen)
    Bare yatz to churps and that. Some loose ones rand that town when i was there last.
    Teach me your english skills oh great one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dredz)
    how can some1 mug you if your naked

His neon sign LMAO

ReputationRep:
    Some parts of Leicester are OK. There is a lot of development going on at the moment, but I don't really see how some of the new shops will survive for more than a year.

There are lots of pubs and clubs around the city centre, so if you like that then it's great. The Diwali and Christmas lights are amazing, and they used to have great displays in the town sqaure when I was little, but they seem to get worse, or maybe I just get older

Safety wise, it varies dramatically depending on which area of the city you are in. If you are in Oadby then you are pretty safe, but if you wander into St Mathews then you might want to get out quickly. Area around Kighton are very nice, but in the centre you might want to go around with people.

The locals are mostly alright, some are stupid chavs, but then you get really nice, friendly people aswell, again it depends on area. Leicester has one of the most mixed populations in the country, which is great and there is generally a good sense of being one, and especially at different festivals.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you're used to. For me, coming from Northampton, Leicester is a great city.

With respect to the city centre:
    * Lots of redevelopment.. looking very plush
    * Some very nice restaurants. Maiyango....mmmmmm
    * Some very nice bars. Champagne bar.mmmmm
    * Loads of clubs. The new plush Liquid, the new plush Life, the studenty zanzibar, the indie/rock one (whatever its called)
    * A diverse music scene. Lots of DnB and other newer genres. The charlotte - quite a famous little venue for bands
    * A huge number of shops, soon to be even more. Also quite a few quirky little shops

With respect to leicester itself

* Lots green spaces. Bradgate park is a bit far out but its really, really nice.
    * People are generally friendly/chatty
    * Very multicultural
    * Loads of out of town places for cinemas, restaurants, bowling etc

Now this will depend on what part of the city you know. Being a student, you'll probably only be in contact with the nicer bits. I'm sure there's crap bits too. For me, Leicester has a certain feel to it. You try coming Northampton, it's full of ******s (literally and otherwise) and feels so backwards. And this is not to mention Leicester uni itself, which is also very much redeveloped and generally great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofgods)
    His neon sign LMAO
    Exactly - these things don't come cheap :p:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.