Downloading music... Watch

Zinck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Slightly off-topic, does Manchester allow like PS3 online / 360 online?
hec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daniel212)
How can you tell when a file being sent to me over the msn is legal or not ? Can you monitor which sort or files are sent via the msn ? If someone is sending me a picture (legal) or a music file (maybe illegal), how can they be differentiated ?

I can't believe the strictness of Manchester University regarding these issues. I know that at other universities, ports are not blocked and the filesharing is on the responsibility of the students. i.e - only if there is a complaint (which rarely happens), the internet provider of the university will disconnect the user or take legal actions (very rare also)
yeah agreed... this is really distressing
SavageStorm
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zinck)
Yes, but it's a little more complicated, as you'll either have to change your mac address on your 360, or if your using a ps3, on your pc.
Tuyo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You guys need to stop worrying. When I lived in the halls last year I got away with breaking a few rues (router, sopcast, etc...). Either they don't look at your internet usage or they're not very good at doing so.

Just don't get carried away and hog bandwidth, they'll be able to pick on that easily enough.
Hornet Internet
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daniel212)
How can you tell when a file being sent to me over the msn is legal or not ? Can you monitor which sort or files are sent via the msn ? If someone is sending me a picture (legal) or a music file (maybe illegal), how can they be differentiated ?

I can't believe the strictness of Manchester University regarding these issues. I know that at other universities, ports are not blocked and the filesharing is on the responsibility of the students. i.e - only if there is a complaint (which rarely happens), the internet provider of the university will disconnect the user or take legal actions (very rare also)
We don't monitor the traffic. Instead there is an external company that monitors the traffic that comes in/out from the University. They basically work for the companies that hold the copyright ie. Sony, NBC, Paramount, etc..
Hornet Internet
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zinck)
Yes, gaming consoles are allowed but because only one registered MAC address is allowed then you would have to change all of your devices' MAC addresses to be the same.

The Hornet wiki will explain how to do that

Link Here
leeming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is the stance on large downloads using ftp or http?
I just like to play around with various OS's which require large ISO downloads, and also do a bit of software development..

Is SSH allowed also, or am i been just a little too paranoid about people tapping into my packets?
Mindez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is BitTorrent covered by this, even if only used to download legal things?

If so, would there be any issues with using a RealVNC to connect to my home computer for running the torrents, then uploading them to a http webserver once downloaded and just downloading them that way? Should be sound if it's just port blocking, unless it's against terms and conditions or something.

Are online games such as WoW etc. allowed under Hornet?

Also, if I were to have two laptops, would it be permissable to connect one of them to the HORNET and connect the other to the other laptop, with a crossover cable, and enable Internet Sharing? No insecurities, just having two computers sharing the same internet access.
Zinck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hornet Internet)
Yes, gaming consoles are allowed but because only one registered MAC address is allowed then you would have to change all of your devices' MAC addresses to be the same.

The Hornet wiki will explain how to do that

Link Here
Thank you.
Hornet Internet
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by leeming)
What is the stance on large downloads using ftp or http?
I just like to play around with various OS's which require large ISO downloads, and also do a bit of software development..

Is SSH allowed also, or am i been just a little too paranoid about people tapping into my packets?
Downloading various opensource OS is fine via ftp or http as there is no capped data usage.

Also you can use SSH
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads