The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

3rd sentence: "Are they really out there or is it all an elaborate prank?."

I think that sums up the situation quite well.
Mithra
Which must be utter rubbish, maybe none of the educated people who could actually WRITE thought it was flat but I'm fairly certain most of the peasents would have been absolutely certain of it.

I'll believe Mr Fry over you, if you don't mind.
Reply 22
Oh I never said Mr Fry was wrong, just that it was only the educated people who knew the world was round. As one of the other panelists said I don't think the peasants would have even ever thought of it but if you were to go up to one and tell them the world was a sphere they would probably have laughed at you rather than agreeing.
These people have obviously never seen a globe before...
It isn't :eek:

:frown: errm :getmecoat:
As a A-Level Geog student i can safely say 'tis a sphere

As a failure you can safely say its a sphere.

As a A-Level mathematician you can say it a oblate spheroid. Its not a sphere. Seriously, its not.

A level Geography:rolleyes:
Reply 26
Has anyone here tried debating "Flat Earthers"?

It seems like a good idea at first, but after a while it's feels like you're arguing with a deck chair.
It just contains trolls, people who want to be non-conformist and genuine idiots.
Reply 27
They need to check Google Earth!
Reply 28
Mithra
Oh I never said Mr Fry was wrong, just that it was only the educated people who knew the world was round. As one of the other panelists said I don't think the peasants would have even ever thought of it but if you were to go up to one and tell them the world was a sphere they would probably have laughed at you rather than agreeing.

I still don't see why they would think it's a ridiculous idea. If they've never really thought about it before, why would it seem more ridiculous for the world to be a sphere rather than being a flat disc? Why would believing it's flat be a default position?
Interesting article. Did you know 99% of flat-earthers are also fundamentalists?

Latest

Trending

Trending