Double Science
French

Other options:
Spanish
Ancient Greek
Geography
Russian
Italian

I would like to do something like Economics, History, French and German (AS), With maybe chemistry (AS)
I want to go to Oxford to study Law.
Should I change one of them?
With the art I thought that I was doing lots of academic subjects already so art would be a good break in the timetable?? Also, the art department is really slack about everything, you go round eating biscuits, listening to your ipod and drinkning tea, BLISS
Not to mention a load of doss teachers, who walk around being all arty and encouraging
What do you think?
I highly advise you NOT to take art. I took it thinking that it would be a good choice as it would be relaxing and not as stressful as more academic subjects. I can safely say that I regret the day I made that choice because art is not only not very well respected by top universities, it's also extremely difficult to achieve an A/A* in.

For a prospective Oxford student, you should change art to something else.
lidskoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Art is one of the msot time consuming subjects..if you want a pass in it anyway.

(Original post by Poshtotty)
it's also extremely difficult to achieve an A/A* in
It realy isn't, I'd say it's an easy A/A* as long as your willing to put the time in.
Poshtotty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lidskoo)
Art is one of the msot time consuming subjects..if you want a pass in it anyway.
Totally agree with you. I can't even remember how many lunchtimes I missed because I had to go in and do my art coursework. I spent so much time at home re-doing it too. I think that if I hadn't have taken art, I'd have spent more time revising for more important subjects and I would have got better grades.
Epic27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
only do art if you absolutely love it, and know you would be prepared to put in tonnes of effort. and still prepare yourself for it to be A LOT of work. i loved art, chose it for GCSE, and dropped it. for me it wasn't so much that it was a lot of work, it was more that you have to hit the assessment objectives: i really didn't know what to do to get an a*. I put in so much work yet was being awarded Bs on my projects. i didn't know how to achieve top marks. Art gcse killed art for me, there was no freedom.

if i were you i would either simply not take art and take one fewer gcse, so it's easier to acheive top grades, (remember it's quality not quantity), or take ancient greek instead. it is so interesting and really stimulating, and helps you will analysis of literature and improves the way you think. i loved it. it's also highly regarded by unis, because it's very academic. don't miss what could be your only chance to study it!

good luck!
lucky star
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jessikar)
ICT? Otherwise you have to do key skills until your 18 i think... and also i've heard Art is really difficult and time consuming and most people who did it spent most of their time at home or at school completing work!
so true.. the number of days spent after school till about 7pm ish.. just catching up with all the coursework.. :eek:
thepwince
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lucky star)
so true.. the number of days spent after school till about 7pm ish.. just catching up with all the coursework.. :eek:
If you consistently spend time doing art when you should, it's such a simple subject. I'm sitting on an A*, and i rarely do any work in my sketchbook. it's just knowing what to do. it's all about research of artists, using those artists to influence your work, and then progressing onto a topic/another artist which naturally follows on.
lucky star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thepwince)
If you consistently spend time doing art when you should, it's such a simple subject. I'm sitting on an A*, and i rarely do any work in my sketchbook. it's just knowing what to do. it's all about research of artists, using those artists to influence your work, and then progressing onto a topic/another artist which naturally follows on.
Lol yeah I know... I've had this constantly drummed into my mind over the last two years by my teacher! While I did all the work when I was supposed to etc.. the problem was how long I took.. I have a bit of a habit of constantly rubbing out and redrawing stuff untils its as perfect as I can get it.. hence resulting in spending at least a few hours on just one simple drawing.. :|
thepwince
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol yeah I know... I've had this constantly drummed into my mind over the last two years by my teacher! While I did all the work when I was supposed to etc.. the problem was how long I took.. I have a bit of a habit of constantly rubbing out and redrawing stuff untils its as perfect as I can get it.. hence resulting in spending at least a few hours on just one simple drawing.. :|
Haha, yeah i'm a bit like that. i try to do as few a studies of paintings as i can lol. it's definitely the research that makes the difference though.
lucky star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thepwince)
Haha, yeah i'm a bit like that. i try to do as few a studies of paintings as i can lol. it's definitely the research that makes the difference though.
how do you get away with that?! my teacher constantly makes me do new ones.. then i don't have time to finish them.. :| but yeah i'll keep the latter in mind for a level art.. =)
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't do arrrt! I hated it and wish i hadn't have done it, it's also like 98% for an a*...
thepwince
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how do you get away with that?! my teacher constantly makes me do new ones.. then i don't have time to finish them.. :| but yeah i'll keep the latter in mind for a level art.. =)
HAHA my friend doing AS art, didn't do her final piece until the day before. and got an A.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (869)
80.09%
Leave (216)
19.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed