Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    mufc4life - L160 BSc International Economics, University of Nottingham 08-11
    A Levels - Eng Lit, History, Economics.

Would like to help bring people out of poverty, but i'll settle for a high flying position making millions in a bank in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus-mi)
    I know I know thats what my dad said but i feel so limited becuase they don't get them big companies at their careers fair, plus i know i could of gone to a better uni if i had known i wouldn't have got into soton such as exeter lboro etc but they werent in clearing!!
    Don't worry, you're not missing much. The alumni gatherings are a lot more beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    Can i join??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    Can i join??
    Yeah, I've added you to the list on the first post (under A-levels seeing are you're not at uni yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Don't worry, you're not missing much. The alumni gatherings are a lot more beneficial.

what is alumi gatherings?

ReputationRep:
    what is alumi gatherings?
    People from major banks have social gatherings at their university, they are the alumni. It's a great place to make contacts, find people from your college and university.

My point simply that you aren't missing out on much by not getting to go the presentations put on by 'big companies' as you put it. You learn nothing that can't get from the company websites and it's not a opportunity to make contacts for the future.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok! thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    Cubasaur - BSc Economics at the University of York 2008-2011.
    Want to be an actuary after I finish

ReputationRep:
    People from major banks have social gatherings at their university, they are the alumni. It's a great place to make contacts, find people from your college and university.

My point simply that you aren't missing out on much by not getting to go the presentations put on by 'big companies' as you put it. You learn nothing that can't get from the company websites and it's not a opportunity to make contacts for the future.

thanks for the rep...but the funny thing is as soon as you pos rep'd me some idiot neg rep'd me lolol so now it says -504 looooool!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the rep...but the funny thing is as soon as you pos rep'd me some idiot neg rep'd me lolol so now it says -504 looooool!!
    I wonder why they negged you? :confused:

I guess I'm next now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why they negged you? :confused:

I guess I'm next now :rolleyes:

i actually feel like theres a person on this forum and 'follows me around' lolol and then gives me a neg rep because on the bit where you normally type comments when you rep somebody this particular person always leaves it blank :s i have an admirer loool on the net hahaha!!

ReputationRep:
    i actually feel like theres a person on this forum and 'follows me around' lolol and then gives me a neg rep because on the bit where you normally type comments when you rep somebody this particular person always leaves it blank :s i have an admirer loool on the net hahaha!!
    Well if that's you in the picture I can see what they are admiring.

ReputationRep:
    Well if that's you in the picture I can see what they are admiring.

nah that aint me the whole point was the dress!! but i see theres alot of boys with hormones running wild on this ting and they intend to take it out on me!! i might as well change the pic lol

like my avatar? lol that should scare them ha!

ReputationRep:
    Have fun with the MLE Mustard, you'll probably do it in more detail than I did if you're doing a statistical course - it's riveting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Have fun with the MLE Mustard, you'll probably do it in more detail than I did if you're doing a statistical course - it's riveting

aww thanks for the pos rep!!!!!! wow! dunno what kind of pos rep you gave me but now it says -152 from -504!! you have some kind of strong effect!

ReputationRep:
    Someone else must have possed you too, mine's only worth ~150

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Heh, thanks :p: I already did some in first year actually (Quantitative Modelling unit), where we only had to go as far as showing x-bar as the MLE in i.i.d. samples. Have to do these statistical units as they are required for CT3 Actuary exemption :o: These topics can be hard to understand, but once you get them (or get the method at least :laugh:), it's easy marks in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    So, a question to those who have at least finished their first year in Economics at university. Which area of Economics did you enjoy the most and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternity Forever)
    So, a question to those who have at least finished their first year in Economics at university. Which area of Economics did you enjoy the most and why?
    Macroeconomics annoyed me. I don't know if it was because the syllabus was new that year, but the amount we had to learn was quite big. Also the exam contained a lot of writing - mini essay-type responses. So people generally found time management as an issue.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Microeconomics. This was split into two classes - people with A-level Economics or equivalent, and those who don't. I had a near-enough A-level so I did the principles stuff, which omitted a lot of the repeat of A-level. And so our syllabus was considerably thinner than the foundations people, so it was quite easy going for us I generally enjoyed the Microeconomics content and found it more interesting than Macroeconomics (it used some algebra and differentiation). The exam was mainly short responses, with two big questions questions at the end, which I preferred to macro.

The Maths unit was my favourite, maybe because I had done Linear Algebra in semester one and so knew 1/3 of the stuff for the Maths unit in semester two

The Stats unit was quite boring; the amount of stuff taught was large (worse than macro). They taught S1 and S2 A-level units, as well some topics from S3 and S4, among a few other stuff. So it was quite fast paced. The exam that year was damn hard - it was so difficult that they had to scale the marks up (the Econ department don't usually do this).

The Quant unit was the hardest of them all, although content wasn't that big. About 70% of the lectures I've just sat there wondering what on earth is going on. But like I said in the other post, once you sit down and understood and learnt the stuff, you should be fine in the exam as it can't really change. And so I ended up getting the highest mark in this unit - 82% Quite chuffed about that.

Policy and Perspectives was fairly straight forward (to do with regression, averages, Genie Coefficient and a bit of remembering). I only gave 4 hours revision for it. I had other units of higher importance (plus this was only an option unit for me, so I could have gone into second year with only a 25% pass).

The remaining 2 units were outside the school of economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Macroeconomics annoyed me. I don't know if it was because the syllabus was new that year, but the amount we had to learn was quite big. Also the exam contained a lot of writing - mini essay-type responses. So people generally found time management as an issue.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Microeconomics. This was split into two classes - people with A-level Economics or equivalent, and those who don't. I had a near-enough A-level so I did the principles stuff, which omitted a lot of the repeat of A-level. And so our syllabus was considerably thinner than the foundations people, so it was quite easy going for us I generally enjoyed the Microeconomics content and found it more interesting than Macroeconomics (it used some algebra and differentiation). The exam was mainly short responses, with two big questions questions at the end, which I preferred to macro.

The Maths unit was my favourite, maybe because I had done Linear Algebra in semester one and so knew 1/3 of the stuff for the Maths unit in semester two

The Stats unit was quite boring; the amount of stuff taught was large (worse than macro). They taught S1 and S2 A-level units, as well some topics from S3 and S4, among a few other stuff. So it was quite fast paced. The exam that year was damn hard - it was so difficult that they had to scale the marks up (the Econ department don't usually do this).

The Quant unit was the hardest of them all, although content wasn't that big. About 70% of the lectures I've just sat there wondering what on earth is going on. But like I said in the other post, once you sit down and understood and learnt the stuff, you should be fine in the exam as it can't really change. And so I ended up getting the highest mark in this unit - 82% Quite chuffed about that.

Policy and Perspectives was fairly straight forward (to do with regression, averages, Genie Coefficient and a bit of remembering). I only gave 4 hours revision for it. I had other units of higher importance (plus this was only an option unit for me, so I could have gone into second year with only a 25% pass).

The remaining 2 units were outside the school of economics.
    A very detailed response, thank you.

Is there anything that you wish you could have done differently to put yourself in a better position during the course?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.