Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by zav)
    We hope the situation can be resolved through dialog and consultation.
    With all due respect to my honourable friend, any room for potential dialogue has been lost as Russia continues its pursuit of unjust and unnecessary action against a state that has breached no international laws, which is more than can be said for its counterpart in all of this.

ReputationRep:
    Tonga would like to point out that far from being granted independence South Ossetia has been annexed.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4635843.ece

The US will support all states in the region who may feel the threat from Russia as this crisis is ongoing. At this time, South Ossetia and Abkhazia remains Georgian sovereign territory in the eyes of the USA.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst Canada does agree with the US delegate insofar as it feels Russia has absolutely no right to do what it has, doesn't the US delegate feel South Ossetia in particular would benefit (after, of course, a referendum) from becoming part of Russia?

(Original post by TimmyVermicelli)
    Whilst Canada does agree with the US delegate insofar as it feels Russia has absolutely no right to do what it has, doesn't the US delegate feel South Ossetia in particular would benefit (after, of course, a referendum) from becoming part of Russia?
    At this time the US is unwilling for Georgia to follow such a course of action as we do not see it possibly representing the views of the peaceful civilians living in South Ossetia and Abkhazia. It would be extremely difficult to overcome the barriers associated with such a vote and may induce more violence in the short-term.

In the current climate of this crisis the US does not believe this vote to be anything more than a scapegoat for Russia's disproportionate actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    At this time the US is unwilling for Georgia to follow such a course of action as we do not see it possibly representing the views of the peaceful civilians living in South Ossetia and Abkhazia. It would be extremely difficult to overcome the barriers associated with such a vote and may induce more violence in the short-term.

In the current climate of this crisis the US does not believe this vote to be anything more than a scapegoat for Russia's disproportionate actions.
    If the "citizens" of those regions didn't have sepratist views, why did Georiga send armed personnel there to quel them?

(Original post by Ethereal)
    If the "citizens" of those regions didn't have sepratist views, why did Georiga send armed personnel there to quel them?
    The US delegate does not see the point your are trying to make here.

ReputationRep:
    The US delegate does not see the point your are trying to make here.
    Russia is arguing that far from it's actions misrepresenting the peaceable citizens of the breakaway regions, it is the only country who is fighting on their behalf. there is some grounding for it, they wouldn't be separatist regions if some people in them were not separatists.

After being enlightened by ukebert's answer to my last post, I see what you mean by this.

My answer to this would be that dialogue needs to take place between the Georgian representative and yourself before a successful referendum could be held and a valid result taken from this. We would, however, only allow a referendum to be held after a full withdrawal of Russian forces had taken place and a peacekeeping force be installed whilst talks take place.

ReputationRep:
    After being enlightened by ukebert's answer to my last post, I see what you mean by this.

My answer to this would be that dialogue needs to take place between the Georgian representative and yourself before a successful referendum could be held and a valid result taken from this. We would, however, only allow a referendum to be held after a full withdrawal of Russian forces had taken place and a peacekeeping force be installed whilst talks take place.
    I would argue that this is implied by my resolution, currently working it's way through the SC

(Original post by ukebert)
    I would argue that this is implied by my resolution, currently working it's way through the SC
    The resolution currently under debate allows the referendum to take place regardless of whether or not Russian forces are in the region. Russia's continued presence in the region regardless of their intended motives is totally unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Unacceptable to the imperialist USA.

Unacceptable to the imperialist USA.
    ...and many other countries who have been vocal about their concerns.

ReputationRep:
    ...and many other countries who have been vocal about their concerns.
    All of whom patsies.

ReputationRep:
    All of whom patsies.
    The Secretary General calls for renewed commitment to diplomacy :poke: :p:

ReputationRep:
    That was diplomatic, Russia could have used far more descriptive and accurate language!

ReputationRep:
    *desperately struggling not to be amused*.. Yeh but there are more technical adjectives to use, aren't there?

All of whom patsies.
    Perhaps the Russian delegate would like to watch his words, the effect made far worse by the current situation that you have brought on yourself. The US has not encouraged any country to condemn your actions and we would not wish to.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the Russian delegate would like to watch his words, the effect made far worse by the current situation that you have brought on yourself. The US has not encouraged any country to condemn your actions and we would not wish to.
    Russia is more than happy to conclude that certain countries are condemning them because of economic and diplomatic pressure excerted by the USA.

Russia is more than happy to conclude that certain countries are condemning them because of economic and diplomatic pressure excerted by the USA.
    The US delegate urges the Russian delegate not to make such wild and unfounded accusations again in the future in what can only be perceived as an attempt to make itself feel better about the path it has taken. These countries have condemned your country's actions in their own manner without the need for the US to apply any pressure, yet your warped view of the rest of the world does not allow you to see your actions for what they really are.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.