Turn on thread page Beta

Can anybody be tri- (and more) lingual? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Taiwan recently I met a ton of people who were all 'natively' fluent in several languages. One person I figured out must effectively be a Chinese Malay French Canadian - both his parents were chinese malays and he lived in french speaking canada! So he spoke English, French and Mandarin fluently, and had been brought up like it. Someone else I met there had Chinese, French and German relatives, and thus spoke Mandarin, German, and French to a native level, and then english pretty fluently. The best one tho was this chinese girl who lived in canada - she spoke Canto, Mandarin and English to a native level, and then a quite a bit of japanese too. She was nuts actually, cos she would just randomly chatter in canto, which everyone could understand except me, but cause of all her mental hand gestures even I could figure out what she was saying!!

Makes my studying two languages at A Level look a bit pathetic really!! Ah well. (actually I also met someone who was doing French German Spanish Latin Greek and English Literature for A level. Thats a bit crazy tbh!!)

ReputationRep:
    My brother-in-law's brother can speak seven languages fluently. He's a Vatican lawyer. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    its alot more common than you think...esp in asian culture...i speak three fluently as i live in england and parents werent born here...and then on top of that i can just about speak german as it was taught in school...

my little brothers amazing tho...speaks english,urdu,arabic,french and latin :eek:......smarmy private school boy lmao

ReputationRep:
    English and Hakka.. one less man I definitely need to get to grips with Cantonese and Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactupuss)
    its alot more common than you think...esp in asian culture...i speak three fluently as i live in england and parents werent born here...and then on top of that i can just about speak german as it was taught in school...

my little brothers amazing tho...speaks english,urdu,arabic,french and latin :eek:......smarmy private school boy lmao
    Learning a language in school doesn't mean you speak it fluently though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Learning a language in school doesn't mean you speak it fluently though.
    oh i know...i can speak the lnaguages we have in the family fluently...but anything i learnt in school is very jilted and formal because i only started languages when i was about 15...brother on the other hand is still really young and is almost fluent in the school languages...so much easier when your younger i guess...plus it helps that the teacher wont speak anything but french :p:

ReputationRep:
    MY dad speaks (natively) 3 fluently, and around 4 almost perfectly.

He learnt English when he was really young (in school) so probably was fluent by the time he was 10/11. His first language (cause he's an Arab) was Arabic, but growing up in Israel he learnt fluent Hebrew. So he speaks these 3 languages perfectly.

He speaks Portuguese and Spanish to almost the same level (he's a very talented linguist) and some other European language/s.

ReputationRep:
    My grandad was brought up in Czechslovakia at a time when German was the language used in schools, so he was initially raised in German and Czech. During the first world war, at age 6, his parents sent him to live with French friends who were living in Sweden, and so he learnt those two languages as well. In adulthood, he fought for first the French resistance and then the English army during the second world war, and spent the latter half of his life living in England. Although his English was accented, having learnt it so late in his life, I am told he could speak with the fluency and accent of a native in Czech, German, Swedish and French. His English was certainly fluent though, despite the accent.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, a fair few of my friends are tri-lingual. In france you had to learn 3 languages at my school. Most people did english, french and spanish. Add onto that the fact it is an international school, most people also had a forgien parent. One friend of mine speaks, german, swedish, english, french and spanish. All pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people here have a very liberal idea of what it means to be 'fluent' in a language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadLine)
    Very nice, I'm jealous of them. But I really meant native languages, for example, my friend is fluent in my native language, can (nearly) perfectly communicate, but you feel he's not from here, makes little mistakes. I meant languages which you switch to and speak without hesitation...
    Yeah, I know a person who speaks Danish, English and French natively. Now, Japanese fluently 'cause she's living there. Also fluent German, but she says she forgot quite a bit of it.

But, those three languages, natively, switching between the languages. So cool, huh? I'm jealous of multi-linguists also!! Apparently, when she was a child, she used to fuse the languages together a bit. But, as she got older, it just came naturally.

Must be hard to teach a child three languages, I'm guessing. Well, she lived in Denmark until she was about 11-years-old and in their house they spoke English, so I guess that was easier, but then they also spoke French (she lived in France too). Her parents know a lot more languages combined than she does! They move around a lot, on business, so I suppose they have to.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I both speak Romani, English, Croatian, Polish, Russian & Welsh.

Granted the Welsh grammar's a bit iffy in my case, but the others are fluent because of the amount of time we spent living in each country. It's just total immersion, and one of the great things about being Roma.

Admittedly though, the only ones I can slip into without actually thinking about what I'm saying are Croatian, Romani & English.

ReputationRep:
    I can speak 3 languages fluently (Urdu, Punjabi, English). I can also read and write in arabic and I'm learning to speak the language too. I also intend to learn spanish and french too until I become fluent in them and then continue to learn new languages.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's quite possible. My Grandma speaks French, German, English and Alsation fluently (although Alsation is basically a mixture between French and German, so I'm not sure if that counts.) Quite a few people speak a lot of languages fluently.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Friend who can speak dutch, portuguese, english, french, german and spanish. Very gifted though very bad at maths and Science, tbh id rather be good at those two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etai Yazi)
    My mum and I both speak Romani, English, Croatian, Polish, Russian & Welsh.

Granted the Welsh grammar's a bit iffy in my case, but the others are fluent because of the amount of time we spent living in each country. It's just total immersion, and one of the great things about being Roma.

Admittedly though, the only ones I can slip into without actually thinking about what I'm saying are Croatian, Romani & English.
    So you're a gypsy???

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i have a friend whose mum is spanish, his dad is english and he lives in germany, his nan also only speaks catalan and he went to boarding school in france for a couple of years, he is fluent in all those languages

ReputationRep:
    one of my friends parents talks to her in spanish, the other in german, and she lived in germany until halfway through secondary school where she moved to england, where she picked up english. she then carried on learning french, and is now learning japanese.

we call her the linguistic sponge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    I think a lot of people here have a very liberal idea of what it means to be 'fluent' in a language.
    I think this too. I know somebody who is fluent in three languages because he grew up here, his parents spoke a different language and he studied a degree in a third and moved to that country thereafter, but it wasn't fluent before he did. That's only two native, but his third is just as good now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soylent Green)
    So you're a gypsy???
    I am. My mother's Kalderash, father was Lovari. We've been settled for four years now though.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.