Puerto Rico Watch

Poll: Should Puerto Rico become a state?
Yes (4)
57.14%
No (3)
42.86%
Usman938
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Puerto Rico should merge with Texas.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Well, I'd have to see some stats on that other than take your word on it. I know you're biased when it comes to all matters USA.
Actually, I'm not. The Georgia thread gives something of a false impression.

However, in this case, I think the benefits are fairly obvious; a strong economy being the biggest one. Nationalism is a powerful force, but it's got to be pretty powerful to overcome that. It's the same for East Turkestan and arguably for Chechnya.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Crash)
Nope. They don't vote for anyone in either houses, although I believe a motion has been tabled to give them a single representative in the House of Reps.

The issue is of course that no Republican is going to pursue the issue with any enthusiasm as DC has always been a democrat stronghold, even in the darkest days of the Reagen years. Why work to give 2 free senators to the opposition?
You forget that the Democrats have a majority. Why work to deny yourself two free senators?
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
Neatness?! Have you considered the vexillological consequences?
By the time it actually happens, it won't matter anyway, because the US will be using the Christian Flag.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Should it become a fully-fledged US state? Why, or why not?
No. Canada should become the next US State. Followed by Mexico and then Europe.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pretz)
I think that is something for Puerto Ricans to decide.
Heaven forbid - perhaps even Americans might like to have a say in it as well?

But I doubt there'd me much support to take in Puerto Rico - it would be by far the poorest state and nobody is going to be clamering (apart from the Hispanics) to pay more taxes to Federal government so they can redistribute it to a poor island state.
Captain Crash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You forget that the Democrats have a majority. Why work to deny yourself two free senators?
They do NOW, hence the ball is starting to roll. But for the best part of 2 decades prior to 2006 this certainly wasn't the case.

Besides a Republican president can still veto a democrat majority.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
They do NOW, hence the ball is starting to roll. But for the best part of 2 decades prior to 2006 this certainly wasn't the case.

Besides a Republican president can still veto a democrat majority.
The veto is fast becoming irrelevant. The situation of a Republican President at the head of a Democratic Government will only last until November.
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The veto is fast becoming irrelevant. The situation of a Republican President at the head of a Democratic Government will only last until November.
Indeed, the future's bright.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CSP)
Doesn't it send something like 1 representative to the house? It's awfully unrepresented IMO
They have 1 non-voting delegate in the House of Reps, hence the city's amusing unofficial motto "Taxation without representation" which you will see on car plates.
pretz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Heaven forbid - perhaps even Americans might like to have a say in it as well?

But I doubt there'd me much support to take in Puerto Rico - it would be by far the poorest state and nobody is going to be clamering (apart from the Hispanics) to pay more taxes to Federal government so they can redistribute it to a poor island state.
Americans have been pouring money into Puerto Rico since they took it from the Spanish, I don't see exactly what your point is.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At least DC, despite not being a state, is treated like one for Presidential election purposes.

Unlike Puerto Rico, which isn't. And the bloke they send to Congress isn't allowed to vote.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Indeed, the future's bright.
Not for you
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
And the bloke they send to Congress isn't allowed to vote.
At least they send someone to Congress....
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
I think they should. They're in a horrible position at the moment. Puerto Rico is America's *****, yet doesn't receive all the economic benefits of being so.
Haha! Are yiou kidding? PR is pumped full of US money. If it wasn't for the US PR would be on par with Haiti.
burninginme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Haha! Are yiou kidding? PR is pumped full of US money. If it wasn't for the US PR would be on par with Haiti.
I know economically it's very wealthy compared to the rest of the Carribean, but compared to mainland US it's relatively backward, with more poverty than the mainland per capita.
Marlowe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
PR has voted a few times on it and has never agreed to join. It's a bizarre situation, really. Interesting to read about though.

Also, Guam.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.9%
No (593)
60.26%
Not really bothered about them (205)
20.83%

Watched Threads