Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    i've tried it, and the HR woman told me in no uncertain terms that there are no vacancies for students due to the mass sackings and the availability of skilled people (she had 40 ML people on her books) prepared to temp in BO.
    and you think that banks would want to spend £20/h training some uni student who'll be there for only 3/4months and then move on to FO in another bank when he graduates, do you now? :rolleyes:
    The OP's a graduate, not a student.

And yes, £20ph is far less than the full cost of hiring a non-temp, although the people I know BO temping tend to get a bit less than that.

The main point is, it's pretty normal to hire temps in BO. I'm sure it's harder due to current market conditions, but it's still regularly done and a pretty normal thing.

i know (knew) quite a few FO temps - pwned!
    Um... ok?

ReputationRep:
    i've tried it, and the HR woman told me in no uncertain terms that there are no vacancies for students due to the mass sackings and the availability of skilled people (she had 40 ML people on her books) prepared to temp in BO.

i know (knew) quite a few FO temps - pwned!

you are simply wrong - BO temp jobs pay (when i was applying) ~£20/h (~52k pro rata - based on 10 hour day). Temps always get paid more than full time employees (for a similar role) because temps forego a certain little thing known as a bonus.

and you think that banks would want to spend £20/h training some uni student who'll be there for only 3/4months and then move on to FO in another bank when he graduates, do you now? :rolleyes:
    you're contradicting yourself

you're trying to say temps are not cheap, yet you mention they dont recieve bonuses, which would make them VERY cheap

to the OP

you should try Michael Page recruitment agency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    The OP's a graduate, not a student.

And yes, £20ph is far less than the full cost of hiring a non-temp, although the people I know BO temping tend to get a bit less than that.

The main point is, it's pretty normal to hire temps in BO. I'm sure it's harder due to current market conditions, but it's still regularly done and a pretty normal thing.
    my point exactly.

banks prefer to hire experienced people (£30/hours for exotic equities clerk) who can add value/do their job from the day one, as opposed to spending 3/4 months training someone and then lose them to another/higher paying company.

(Original post by lets go turtles!)
    you're contradicting yourself

you're trying to say temps are not cheap, yet you mention they dont recieve bonuses, which would make them VERY cheap
    well ofcourse, BO gets 100k bonuses :rolleyes:

never met a temp who worked longer than a year at a single bank - also, BO gets ~5k in bonuses, for ~33k base (analyst level), so BO temps are actually more expensive than full time, although banks don't really care about BO temps that much.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.