Turn on thread page Beta

Should native tongues take precedence in African schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Flugelr, I disagree ; the fact is, lots of Africans speak all sorts of different tribal languages anyway, 3, 4, 5 or more, including supposed "enemy" tribes. I recall the story of a relative who visited Kenya, where two girls went through about 4 different languages so that they could find one with which to bi.tch about a third girl who didn't understand. Similarly, in the early middle ages [1000-1300], many lessons in Britain were taught either in French or Latin because English was seen as "vulgar". When lessons were taught in English, I highly doubt that this reinforced differences with France - if anything, it alleviated them, as people [well, the rich] were no longer subjected to the "yoke" of learning French for education.
    There have also been some convincing posts earlier, but I'm afraid I can't recall them exactly.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.