ReputationRep:
    Seriously, go to the doctors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauuuura)
    Seriously, go to the doctors!
    i just feel silly going to the doctors saying...i have a cough

ReputationRep:
    That's not silly at all
    You might have a chest infrection or asthma or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda7719)
    i just feel silly going to the doctors saying...i have a cough
    Not if youve had it for days I wont

ReputationRep:
    i've got the same thing! i've been coughing for about 3 weeks now or something, waiting for a cold to come but it hasn't. i went to the doctor and he just gave me some antibiotics to take for a week... so just go see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you had the cough?
    I've had a cough for about 14 weeks, and went to the doctor after the first three. I've had a steroid inhaler, a chest x-ray and two courses of antibiotics and it hasn't gone, so now I'm on an oral steroid trial, taking peak flow readings morning and night. Hope yours goes away more quickly than mine, lol!

ReputationRep:
    i still haven't stopped!!!
    How long have you had this cough? Is it a dry cough or is it productive? Is it painful when you cough or more like a dull sensation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    How long have you had this cough? Is it a dry cough or is it productive? Is it painful when you cough or more like a dull sensation?

i've had this cough for just over a week. i think it's a dry cough but not quite sure what a productive cough is lol
    sometimes it's a bit painful, not much though. more of a dull sensation

it's just annoying me more than anything. i can't sleep because of it

ReputationRep:
    i've had this cough for just over a week. i think it's a dry cough but not quite sure what a productive cough is lol
    sometimes it's a bit painful, not much though. more of a dull sensation

it's just annoying me more than anything. i can't sleep because of it
    A productive cough is one where you get mucus out when you cough (sometimes, not necessarily always).

You have any allergies that you're aware of?

ReputationRep:
    A productive cough is one where you get mucus out when you cough (sometimes, not necessarily always).

You have any allergies that you're aware of?
    that does happen somtimes when i cough..
    nope, no allergies

ReputationRep:
    that does happen somtimes when i cough..
    nope, no allergies
    And I'm supposing you don't have a cold/flu either.

I'd go to the doctor. Read the thread, there isn't anything to be ashamed about or embarrassed about going to the GP about a cough that is bother you and has been going for a week.

AH

ReputationRep:
    I've had a cough for 6 weeks now, I find that Robitussin really helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-and-lost)
    I've had a cough for 6 weeks now, I find that Robitussin really helps.
    An unexplained cough lasting for 6 weeks is a good reason to go the doctor

AH

ReputationRep:
    I've had a cough for 2 months now but it's slowly going away. After 4 weeks the doctor put me on antibiotics but they didn't help and I got a cold. =/
    However, it seems to be shifting by itself now.

I'd say go to the doctors. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    An unexplained cough lasting for 6 weeks is a good reason to go the doctor

AH
    Been. She said "oh it's just a virus, it'll go away eventually" :rolleyes:

Doctors never give young people a fair diagnosis. It's always "GET OVER IT!"

ReputationRep:

exactly thats why i never go
    last time i went because i though i might be anemic and the doctor just went..ohh all young people are anemic..it's fashionable to be pale....

ReputationRep:
    exactly thats why i never go
    last time i went because i though i might be anemic and the doctor just went..ohh all young people are anemic..it's fashionable to be pale....
    Don't walk into your doctors' office telling them what you have. Tell them what you feel/complain of i.e. what you are there for. At the end of the consultation, try suggesting a few things to them in the form of a question. Doctors usually don't like patients walking in with a self-made-diagnosis; it's like telling the doc "here, look, I've got the fault, now fix it" It maybe lame, but it's how it is.

AH

ReputationRep:

And how long ago was this? I make a bet it was around 4 weeks ago that you went to the doctor? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't walk into your doctors' office telling them what you have. Tell them what you feel/complain of i.e. what you are there for. At the end of the consultation, try suggesting a few things to them in the form of a question. Doctors usually don't like patients walking in with a self-made-diagnosis; it's like telling the doc "here, look, I've got the fault, now fix it" It maybe lame, but it's how it is.

AH

oh no i didnt walk in saying i have anemia. i told him what was wrong with me and the other people has suggested i might be anemic. obviously i wouldn't expect myself to know more than a qualified doctor

ReputationRep:
    And how long ago was this? I make a bet it was around 4 weeks ago that you went to the doctor? :p:
    Thursday (28th August THIS year), actually :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2008
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.