The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RobbieH
Overseas tuition fees for Band 2, Engineering etc.: £12,219 per year

Since this is for 2008/09, the fees won't go up by more than *0.06 (inflation)

Source: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international/costs.html

Besides, i'm applying for economics anyway which is £9,327 per year (2008/09).
Already much cheaper than LSE.

Your college will charge extra college fees buddy, make sure you factor that in.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
RobbieH
Overseas tuition fees for Band 2, Engineering etc.: £12,219 per year

Since this is for 2008/09, the fees won't go up by more than *0.06 (inflation)

Source: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international/costs.html

Besides, i'm applying for economics anyway which is £9,327 per year (2008/09).
Already much cheaper than LSE.

Oh! You mean cheaper fees relative to Imperial!! I apologise, my bad. I thought you were comparing the fees charged for home and international students at Cambridge.
Reply 22
That's true, the Cambridge tution fee will exceed 20k since your college will charge you a lot, but fortunately, they can give you 100% scholarships because they are incredibly rich !
Reply 23
Master Polhem
I bet the IITs would give you a run for your money...

The IITs never seem to figure highly on any university rankings...I know they are an extremely rough of actual quality, but there has to be something behind their methodology. The highest I've seen the IITs ranked is 57 in a science-based list of universities.

As I said before, I don't know whether that means much, but I'd still say Imperial is better anyday.
Reply 24
feroz
Your college will charge extra college fees buddy, make sure you factor that in.

Hong Kong overseas scholarship. I pay £1250 per year for the college fees. Still much cheaper than LSE/Imperial. :biggrin:
Reply 25
RobbieH
Hong Kong overseas scholarship. I pay £1250 per year for the college fees. Still much cheaper than LSE/Imperial. :biggrin:

Now now. Scholarships and all ain't fair :biggrin:
Reply 26
feroz
Now now. Scholarships and all ain't fair :biggrin:

Not if you've had an article published in the Economist magazine. :wink:
Reply 27
RobbieH

:eek: :eek: Amazing! Its even less than 10% of my annual tuition fee!
The thing I don't get is, why do international students have to pay more than the locals?
Reply 29
Becasue the international people don't pay UK taxes, which subsidise the Home students' fees.
Reply 30
Because the England Goverment require every universities not to charge the native students over limited fees, since they have already paid for taxes and stuff !
Reply 31
studyboy
:eek: :eek: Amazing! Its even less than 10% of my annual tuition fee!

No, no no no. College fees + tuition fees make up the total fees. College fees range between 3000-4000 pounds per year I believe.
Reply 32
sunspoon
Becasue the international people don't pay UK taxes, which subsidise the Home students' fees.

Have you ever wondered why Clinical fees are especially expensive?
Reply 33
RobbieH
Have you ever wondered why Clinical fees are especially expensive?

Wtf of course I have wondered. It costs about £200000 to get a medical student from matriculation to graduation.

How much: The price of medical education? - Student BMJ
Syafiquaaa
The thing I don't get is, why do international students have to pay more than the locals?

Please, let's not start this debate again - You'll just end up getting raped.
Reply 35
cjsk
Yeah, last year, out of all of the universities in the UK that I applied to, Cambridge fees were the cheapest, at about £9500. Imperial, naturally, was the most expensive at £14400

It doesn't have to be if Imperial doesn't splash money on white elephant projects like vast empty space outside and inside Faculty (Blue Box) and Tanaka Building.
Reply 36
lol I always wondered about that empty square... if they really wanted to make it impressive they would have planted some lawns there.
Reply 37
insainet
Because the England Goverment require every universities not to charge the native students over limited fees, since they have already paid for taxes and stuff !

There are British (Citizens) students who have to pay full fees. They have to do so if they reside outside the UK/EU for the last three years. (Eg, was expat in Asia) I think this policy is profoundly stupid, seeing as the French can pay local fees for British universities but those British students have to pay int'l fee. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
sunspoon

The EU nationals don't pay UK taxes either, but they can still enjoy "home" free. This is the point I'm unhappy about.
Reply 39
cjsk
I'm just glad I got the cheapest course in Imperial... it's still £15,500, but at least I'm not a medic.

Maths has the highest students to staff ratio across imperial. For physics it is around 7 to 1 but for us it is 22 to 1 (from tutor). The overcrowding in the LT...

Latest

Trending

Trending