Turn on thread page Beta

A-level Choices -----> watch

• View Poll Results: English Literature over Physics for Medicine/Dentistry?
    English Literature all the way!
    50.56%
    Physics is so much better!
    49.44%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    :p:
    I've been busy this week so I haven't been online so much, because I've had work experience in a hospital :yes:
    Wow, future medic much? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    I know, its so difficult. I'd choose english literature because I got an A in it, sorry that doesn't help you at all. But I think English Literature would perhaps be a bit more easier than physics.

Also, I think it will help having English Literature because it'll make you stand out.

Hmm.. i think you've made the right decision then, since you got an A in it. But, saying that i don't think it would make you stand out, because a lot of people will have done it too!:p: Just like me(maybe) & you!

ReputationRep:
    The second one

Otherwise its all science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    i know you're giving this a lot of thought, and that is good. but go with your gut instinct maybe? remember the subject you most enjoy is surely the better option right?
    i know, i know, i know. But, i just can't decide. :confused: i have no gut feelings. Lol, yeah most defiantly the subject you most enjoy is better, but i don't know which one i enjoy more. stupid i know...

ReputationRep:
    Well, you've already got maths and 2 sciences so if you want a bit of variety, and enjoy it, I would take English Lit. It would show you to be more well rounded rather than the typical 'Maths and 3 sciences'. But if you really like Physics or might change your mind to a career in that then take it, it's up to you really. Any would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    English lit, because it shows that you are well rounded, and it will give you a little bit of variation in your timetable. Also it will show you are good at writing essays etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, at this moment in time the poll is equal. But, i'm feeling more towards the English Lit option, but feel i will have to put in A LOT of hard work if i want a good grade. Am i picking the right one? still got until sunday night for any views & opinions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    OP, I think it shouldn't make too much of a difference between the two, as there are advantages to both. Some unis, like UCL, would prefer you to have a contrasting AS, which would make your application stronger. But physics AS would help you out later with the BMAT (oxbridge, imperial and ucl). So depending on your situation, I'd go for whichever one is most ideal. And I'm assuming you enjoy physics, because if not there's no real point in taking it, as bio chem and maths are already enough to satisfy entry requirements to most/all unis for medicine and dentistry
    But, Sanjetti has made a really good point, when it comes to applying for university's and if i am lucky enough to apply to a uni that requires me to sit the BMAT, i won't score very highly, as i won't have a physics background to help. Plus, i didn't get great GCSE's, so i would have to get a really good score on the test, right?

ReputationRep:
    Bio, Chem and Maths is MORE than is needed to study M or D. If Iwas you I would without doubt choose Eng Lit as it is well respected and Uni's like to see you are well rounded and nt just a all sciencey person(even though there is nothing wrong about that). Doing physics won't put you at an adavantage at all so I would not do physics but concentrat on the other hard sciences and do eng lit which will be a change and will look good to unis as it shows you can do an arts subject too!!!!!

hope that helps you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissTwinkle)
    But, Sanjetti has made a really good point, when it comes to applying for university's and if i am lucky enough to apply to a uni that requires me to sit the BMAT, i won't score very highly, as i won't have a physics background to help. Plus, i didn't get great GCSE's, so i would have to get a really good score on the test, right?
    Not at all! That's only the case for oxford. If you get some practice on physics in the run up for BMAT, you can score highly, but your GCSEs will not have any effect on how your score is viewed. But I would definitely avoid oxford in particular if you feel your % of A*s at GCSE isnt as high as you were hoping for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    Not at all! That's only the case for oxford. If you get some practice on physics in the run up for BMAT, you can score highly, but your GCSEs will not have any effect on how your score is viewed. But I would definitely avoid oxford in particular if you feel your % of A*s at GCSE isnt as high as you were hoping for
    Oxford?
    i would never even in my dreams apply to Oxford, i would get rejected in my dreams too! haha:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissTwinkle)
    Oxford?
    i would never even in my dreams apply to Oxford, i would get rejected in my dreams too! haha:p:
    Don't say that! I think the whole thing is too intimidating, you never feel you have the stuff because of all these people with 300/300 in all their ASes and straight A*s. But I think people's potential to be a good cannot be found out very accurately atm. And of course, oxbridge is a bit hyped for medicine in particular imo :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    i suppose your gcse grades aren't quite high enough to get an offer maybe

but you can still aim at good unis
    wouldn't even get an interview! haha:p:

ReputationRep:
    And to do Medicine and Dentistry at any good uni will be a hard challenge op as your grades aren't up to scratch compared with what other candidtaes will have therefore if I was you Id get all the work exp I can(obv choose the career you want to go into either med or dent as getting work exp for both will take forever)and get the best A levels to even be considered op...

all the best

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's the other thing. i can't decide between Med or Dent. oh god, i am annoying. i've always wanted to do Med all my life, well as long as i can remember. But, now Dent has caught my interest too... lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Wel you don't have to make your mind up just now as your A levels will suit either..however you will once you are planning your work exp. let us know what you decided:^_^:!!!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, will let you know!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, bio and chem are fine for medicine as it is, so the other choice wont matter, just pick whichever one you like better.

However, I have heard that UCL (if you're looking to apply there) want a non-science subject atleast at AS.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Diaz)
    Wow, future medic much? :p:
    :no:
    Not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    :no:
    Not anymore.
    How comes?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.