what subjects do oxbridge like? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Calcium)
Are their any specific subjects that Oxbridge like/are impressed by?

Thanks.
English. Zing.
vahik92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Calcium)
Are their any specific subjects that Oxbridge like/are impressed by?

Thanks.
The best subjects for Oxbridge are:

Maths (99% essential)
Further Maths (100% recommended)
Physics (Very Recommended)
English Language (Very Recommended)
History (Recommended)

If you get A in 3 of these subjects including Maths then u will probably get a place in Oxbridge
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vahik92)

Maths (99% essential)
History (Recommended)

If you get A in 3 of these subjects including Maths then u will probably get a place in Oxbridge
Erm, no, not really. Where did you get that from?
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I swear English Language isn't as respected as lit

And any traditional subject is cool, just so long as you get a good grade
backintime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What do they prefer - History or English Lit.?

And I don't think Geography is very respected is it?
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Maths (99% essential)
History (Recommended)

You are what is colloquially known in Oxford as 'an idiot.'
--
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It really, really needs to be made clear that Trinity College, Cambridge is one of about 60 Oxbridge colleges and that list is almost solely confined to their own college. Admissions tutors at other colleges do not follow that list. The list on the Cambridge website should suffice for the vast majority of applicants.
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Erm, no, not really. Where did you get that from?
what do u mean no not really, could you expand on that ? what did i say that is wrong?
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
You are what is colloquially known in Oxford as 'an idiot.'
what the **** do u mean by that mate?
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what the **** do u mean by that mate?
If you're offended don't call me mate, it's very passive-aggressive. I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. You clearly don't know what you're talking about but you are still making self-assured statements about admissions policy, it doesn't leave much room for any other conclusions.
The West Wing
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Maths (99% essential)
History (Recommended)

You're an idiot.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what do u mean no not really, could you expand on that ? what did i say that is wrong?
In short: everything, but I'll spell it out for you if you like: Whether subjects are considered "essential", "recommended" etc. depends on what course you're actually applying for - of course Maths (and usually Further Maths) are essential if you're applying for maths-related degrees, but they're quite irrelevant for humanities subjects. Similarly, somebody who wants to do physics or engineering can easily do without an A-level in English Language. Blanket statements like "Maths [is] 99% essential" etc are, frankly, utter rubbish, though. As is the statement "If you get A in 3 of these subjects including Maths then u will probably get a place in Oxbridge", suggesting that these are somehow magical subject combinations, because they're not. A significant percentage of maths applicants, for example, will be doing three of the subjects on that list of yours - and as you're presumably aware, the majority of maths applicants are rejected, even though most of them do get three As. So much for "u will probably get a place in Oxbridge".
Conversely, a significant percentage of successful applicants for humanities subjects will not have done three of the subjects off your list, because their ability at maths or physics is quite irrelevant to their potential to do well on their chosen course, and if it isn't relevant, "Oxbridge" won't care.
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In short: everything, but I'll spell it out for you if you like: Whether subjects are considered "essential", "recommended" etc. depends on what course you're actually applying for - of course Maths (and usually Further Maths) are essential if you're applying for maths-related degrees, but they're quite irrelevant for humanities subjects. Similarly, somebody who wants to do physics or engineering can easily do without an A-level in English Language. Blanket statements like "Maths [is] 99% essential" etc are, frankly, utter rubbish, though. As is the statement "If you get A in 3 of these subjects including Maths then u will probably get a place in Oxbridge", suggesting that these are somehow magical subject combinations, because they're not. A significant percentage of maths applicants, for example, will be doing three of the subjects on that list of yours - and as you're presumably aware, the majority of maths applicants are rejected, even though most of them do get three As. So much for "u will probably get a place in Oxbridge".
Conversely, a significant percentage of successful applicants for humanities subjects will not have done three of the subjects off your list, because their ability at maths or physics is quite irrelevant to their potential to do well on their chosen course, and if it isn't relevant, "Oxbridge" won't care.
listen then.,, what i am saying is right - here is a quote from Oxford admission policy website - "Although not formally required, only a very small number of students are admitted each year without Mathematics at A-level or equivalent." I can tell you the link to the Oxford website as well if you want to check - so don't tell me that i am wrong because i am not wrong - when i say something i dont just take it from the skies
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
If you're offended don't call me mate, it's very passive-aggressive. I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. You clearly don't know what you're talking about but you are still making self-assured statements about admissions policy, it doesn't leave much room for any other conclusions.
i know what i am talking about - all i was saying is i was writing the list of the subjects that Oxbridge likes - if you for example compare ict or music with mathematics or physics, then obviously maths and physics would me better option to apply for courses in Oxbridge unless the course is in music or ict itself - subjects like maths open wider doors to universities - and by the way all this - i dont just make these things up - ive read different books before saying this - also ive seen the admission policy of Oxford - so i know what i am talking about - so keep your comments to yourself because it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
listen then.,, what i am saying is right - here is a quote from Oxford admission policy website - "Although not formally required, only a very small number of students are admitted each year without Mathematics at A-level or equivalent." I can tell you the link to the Oxford website as well if you want to check - so don't tell me that i am wrong because i am not wrong - when i say something i dont just take it from the skies
Oh yes, you are. If you have another look at the website you're referring to, you'll find that it's in fact a footnote referring to the "recommended" Maths A-level for chemistry. They chose a bit of an unfortunate layout for that table.
--
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Burrrrrrrrn.
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Maths (99% essential)
History (Recommended)

i know what i am talking about - all i was saying is i was writing the list of the subjects that Oxbridge likes - if you for example compare ict or music with mathematics or physics, then obviously maths and physics would me better option to apply for courses in Oxbridge unless the course is in music or ict itself - subjects like maths open wider doors to universities - and by the way all this - i dont just make these things up - ive read different books before saying this - also ive seen the admission policy of Oxford - so i know what i am talking about - so keep your comments to yourself because it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about
Look at the two things you have said here, they are different.

As for whether you know what you're talking about, facts are not an egalitarian thing where everyone's opinions are worth the same. I can assure you the Oxbridge students who have successfully gone through the admissions process, done their own research into it, know huge numbers of other students and (in some cases) help applicants know more and better than you do.
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
Look at the two things you have said here, they are different.

As for whether you know what you're talking about, facts are not an egalitarian thing where everyone's opinions are worth the same. I can assure you the Oxbridge students who have successfully gone through the admissions process, done their own research into it, know huge numbers of other students and (in some cases) help applicants know more and better than you do.
whatever i said i took that from the Oxbridge website - if what i am saying is wrong then the information on their website is wrong - which is unlikely - so dont argue with me go and look the website yourself - i cant tell u anything else
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
whatever i said i took that from the Oxbridge website - if what i am saying is wrong then the information on their website is wrong - which is unlikely - so dont argue with me go and look the website yourself - i cant tell u anything else
:rolleyes:
May I refer you to my earlier post? The information on the Oxford (not Oxbridge) website is correct, but you misread it.
Now is the time to stop being so argumentative and simply admit you were wrong.
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
May I refer you to my earlier post? The information on the Oxford (not Oxbridge) website is correct, but you misread it.
Now is the time to stop being so argumentative and simply admit you were wrong.
Ditto, but learn to write properly and get a haircut too.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads