Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    to most other people i would say that it isnt as simple as performance to do well in music.. but you would probably get an A lol..i would say philosophy because very few other medics would have this and many study a narrow range of sciencey subjects so if you have a bit more breadth unis would really go for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JointVenture)
    not easy to get an A, believe me.
    :ditto: It's a heck of a lot of work if you're not interested in pursuing it after A level. That's why so many people dropped it after AS at my old school.

You also only have grade 2 theory so you'd probably struggle with that side of it too. There is a heck of a lot of harmony and analysis at A level, found for A level you don't really do all that much performing it seemed to be mainly theory based.

ReputationRep:
    performance is very little of the mark, i have my dip in sax and grade 8 dis in piano, and i struggled because its very academic. The OP sounds a tad arrogant.
    You have a point there. Sorry, that's my mouth (or not) running away with me again :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have gotten a good grade if I'd taken Music two years early really... would have half killed me more like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    You have a point there. Sorry, that's my mouth (or not) running away with me again :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have gotten a good grade if I'd taken Music two years early really... would have half killed me more like.
    Well it is rewarding if you like the compositional aspect of it. However, the performance side is very small, i dont think you would get anything out of it you dont already know through your exams, i would suggest you go for your dip and grade 8 theory instead and take the other one IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Is there are particular disadvantage if RS Phil. & Eth is taken instead of Phil. ? I'm asking because I have a keen interest to do Philosophy out of interest and only one of my local colleges/6th forms offers AQA Philosophy (AQA being the only board doing it). The Others offer OCR RS Phil. and Eth.

I would really appreciate an answer.

to the OP: I personally would side with philosophy but you seem to have a great passion for music which I think is a very good think to have; so for your particular scenario, I'd stick with music.
    I didn't have a problem with the Edexcel Philosophy and Ethics course.
    It was mainly about learning what different people said, rather than thinking of your own arguments, but I think it provides a good grounding of knowledge which you can then develop.

I really enjoyed the coursework; you could choose from a wide variety of topics and had to research them yourself. I was told mine was amazing and that I'd get a really high mark. I JUST scraped an A which was brought down to a B by my exam. But anyway, I'll stop talking about that..

I would go for it, I really like the ethics side, and found it to be just as important as the philosophy part.

performance is very little of the mark, i have my dip in sax and grade 8 dis in piano, and i struggled because its very academic. The OP sounds a tad arrogant.
    I don't really think she sounds arrogant, but I was actually referring to the academic part when I said it looks difficult.
    I'm incredibly impressed with anyone who gets an A in that.

(Original post by purplefrog)
    Is there are particular disadvantage if RS Phil. & Eth is taken instead of Phil. ?
    I had the misfortune to study RS P & E. Although it's an easy A it's not actual philosophy; more the study of religious attitudes to philosophical questions. I'd plump for Philosophy (AQA) every time.

ReputationRep:
    You've got a point (all you philosophers seem to like learning for learning's sake; as I do). I think you're right, all things considered. Music would be easy-going but perhaps too much so for me as I was offered the A Level course two years early (along with other kids) but declined it.
    (Original post by music is my girlfriend)
    Nononono!

I'm sure JointVenture is right, music looks impossible! I couldn't do it in a million years..

I don't think for a moment that Philosophy is harder, I'm just bitter about my result ;P

Saying that, as the OP is apparently so musically talented, she might well find it a breeze..
    I think she'd be capable of either. Since she's Grade 8 standard, she should be assured of a A at least in the practical parts, and academically seems good enough to ace the theory.

By the way, OP, don't feel obliged to do another subject to be one above the rest - 6 is a lot, and you already are a classicist, which Oxbridge love in medics, I hear, so that should shine you as a balanced person already.

ReputationRep:
    My academic record sickens me too :p:
    How beautifully arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    I think she'd be capable of either. Since she's Grade 8 standard, she should be assured of a A at least in the practical parts, and academically seems good enough to ace the theory.

By the way, OP, don't feel obliged to do another subject to be one above the rest - 6 is a lot, and you already are a classicist, which Oxbridge love in medics, I hear, so that should shine you as a balanced person already.
    Thanks very much for the advice and I really hope I haven't come off overall as an arrogant, elitist prat (have been accused of this before and don't want to put my foot in it again).

I'm doing six A Levels just for the challenge (it was seven at one point!) If you say Oxbridge love Classics for Medicine then that's very encouraging for me! Do you think Latin and Philosophy would complement each other?

My academic record sickens me too
    That's a painfully embarrassing thing to say.

Do you think Latin and Philosophy would complement each other?
    No. Greek maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    How beautifully arrogant.
    I'm beginning to think I should remove my sig... it's not doing me any favours, that's for sure. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_5)
    People I know who are really good at performing in music, grade 7+, and got D's.
    (In A-level music, that is.)

i most definately agree with that comment! Im doing A level music, and in my AS class we were all grade 7+, i was grade 8 on three of my instruments, i got an A for my performing but i got a D in the exam :| and i got an A at gcse, the jump between gcse and AS is incredible, and it is not very easy as there are multiple elements involved in such an a level. I would say do what you enjoy, but as i also do philosophy & ethics (RS) i have found that one is much more beneficial and content, its one of my favourites
    but at the end of the day, its based on personal preference

good luck!

I'm beginning to think I should remove my sig
    It's not your sig. It's what you said. Can you not see the distinction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    It's not your sig. It's what you said. Can you not see the distinction?
    What I said was stupid and unthinking... but my sig could look arrogant too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to think I should remove my sig... it's not doing me any favours, that's for sure. :no:
    nah, don't It was the way you talked about them, as though you loved yourself, that made me say it. And it's fine. I love myself, too. And half of TSR secretly thinks they're the most intelligent person in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    nah, don't It was the way you talked about them, as though you loved yourself, that made me say it. And it's fine. I love myself, too. And half of TSR secretly thinks they're the most intelligent person in the country.
    I'm certainly not the most intelligent person in the country; I have an EQ of 0 it seems. Or even negative.

I do offer my most sincere apologies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the advice and I really hope I haven't come off overall as an arrogant, elitist prat (have been accused of this before and don't want to put my foot in it again).

I'm doing six A Levels just for the challenge (it was seven at one point!) If you say Oxbridge love Classics for Medicine then that's very encouraging for me! Do you think Latin and Philosophy would complement each other?
    It's no problem. It's good to challenge yourself, so good luck! Latin is a rare and well-respected academic subject, nowadays, and it has the benefits of studying a language, history and english all in one. A science professor at Cambridge who was also an admissions tutor said that he always likes to see people who are applying for medecine show that they have skills not just in Maths and Science - he mentioned the super-impressive application of one medic who was also passionate about economic history or something.

I'm studying Latin and Philosophy at HL for IB next year, and I think they're probably complementary, although they're fairly unique at the same time! They both involve analysis and argument, particularly at A-level - you have to write long essays in exams for Latin about the set texts, and Philosophers traditionally are set the "essay-per-week"!

ReputationRep:
    What I said was stupid and unthinking... but my sig could look arrogant too.
    I may be the only one, but I didn't think it was that bad. It was said in a jokey way, as a reply to a slightly awkward statement, no?

I find comments about 'easy As' more arrogant, to be honest. Nice for the people who work really hard for their As, or those who didn't even get an A...

I have a friend who did 7 AS levels, but one of them was Sociology. She only went to 1/3 of the lessons because of timetabling, didn't revise and got an A. So for her, yes, it was an easy A, but I didn't like her describing it as such, especially in front of other people who did the subject and worked really hard at it. It gives off a real 'I'm better than you' attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by music is my girlfriend)
    I may be the only one, but I didn't think it was that bad. It was said in a jokey way, as a reply to a slightly awkward statement, no?

I find comments about 'easy As' more arrogant, to be honest. Nice for the people who work really hard for their As, or those who didn't even get an A...

I have a friend who did 7 AS levels, but one of them was Sociology. She only went to 1/3 of the lessons because of timetabling, didn't revise and got an A. So for her, yes, it was an easy A, but I didn't like her describing it as such, especially in front of other people who did the subject and worked really hard at it. It gives off a real 'I'm better than you' attitude.
    You're right on my intentions; that was certainly how I saw it but then I'm known for making embarassing social blunders all the time and annoying people.

And I really did work for my As.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.