13.64%
Maths (27)
30.68%
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Following on from my last post... the poll just added is useless - you need advice on what you need and tips on how to shape your A-levels for either career. I'm sure you won't be waiting until one subject has the clear lead of votes to drop it!
DaveJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For medicine at Cambridge, you really need 3 science/maths A Levels, whereas for Law there are no specified subjects.

So drop one of history/english.
Fabregas1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
maths is not essential for medicine, no universities explicity require it. You needs maths to do medicine, generally speaking, but it's taught during your degree, in the early stages. So if you do maths, it will be easier, but not a must
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaveJ)
For medicine at Cambridge, you really need 3 science/maths A Levels, whereas for Law there are no specified subjects.

So drop one of history/english.
This only applies to a few cambridge colleges

The OP clearly stated that they wanted to keep their options open for Law and Medicine so dropping maths is the ideal choice
All at once
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
So you're applying to "Oxbridge" for "Law or Medicine"?

GTFO.
LOL

i love and really feel for people who are so passionate about both law and medicine that they really can't decide which career path to take!!
Cloudyy
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
@HCD;

No, I would have decided whether I wanted to do law OR medicine by the end of Sixth form anyway so I just made this thread to ask what would be the best subjects to pick to keep my options open.. so "GTFO" of my thread.

And yes, it's between english literature and maths. I don't mind them both equally, but I find maths just a bit easier for me.

Thanks again to all who have posted ^_^
Graphix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Take one off maths...

Drop History...

Sorry for the mistake!
dancingshoes10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i wouldn't get rid of maths at all if i were you. looks good for law and medicine. you only need one essay subject for law if any, i know someone that got into oxford to study law who did science a levels. as long as you get the grades you'll be fine.
Moronic Acid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cloudyy)
@HCD;

No, I would have decided whether I wanted to do law OR medicine by the end of Sixth form anyway so I just made this thread to ask what would be the best subjects to pick to keep my options open.. so "GTFO" of my thread.

And yes, it's between english literature and maths. I don't mind them both equally, but I find maths just a bit easier for me.

Thanks again to all who have posted ^_^
Have you considered doing all five?

Having maths as your 'bit on the side' (:p:) won't be very hard (so long as you're actually good at maths) and that solves this whole problem
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
@HCD;

That you want to do "Law or Medicine" says it all, really. You're a complete and utter ****. That is all. :sadnod:
Cloudyy
(Original post by Adhavan)
Have you considered doing all five?

Having maths as your 'bit on the side' (:p:) won't be very hard (so long as you're actually good at maths) and that solves this whole problem
Is it very difficult to do all 5 subjects?
dancingshoes10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
also can i just say that if you did maths and english together unis would love you and want to grab you.
Moronic Acid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it very difficult to do all 5 subjects?
Not at all - so long as you put some effort in (i really wish i'd done 5 now )

It helps when you don't really focus on a particular subject out of the 5 (i.e. people who do maths and further maths, or people who take general studies/critical thinking) so if you devoted the majority of your time to the other 4 and did maths on the side then you'd be fine
Graphix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For law, top unis don't mind if you have mainly science subjects because when it comes to entrance tests and interviews they will be testing your aptitude for the course.

By dropping history, you have all the requirements for studying medicine and the english creates a brilliant contrast. Also, maths is an indispensible subject when it comes to Oxbridge.

Have you also considered the possbility of starting with 5 AS?
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This only applies to a few cambridge colleges

The OP clearly stated that they wanted to keep their options open for Law and Medicine so dropping maths is the ideal choice
That's really not true.

People on here have emailed colleges that say on paper they accept people with 2 science subjects for medicine, and have been told it is INCREDIBLY rare. So the OP won't keep his options open for medicine if he drops maths.

Law, however, has NO SPECIFIC SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS! So why on earth would he drop maths which would disadvantage him in medicine, when he could drop english which would disadvantage him in nothing?!
Cloudyy
(Original post by HCD)
That you want to do "Law or Medicine" says it all, really. You're a complete and utter ****. That is all. :sadnod:
LOOOOOL, that people can't have choices?

But thanks for posting anyway, cause you obviously contribute nothing to the thread yet care about it enough to carry on posting.

And thanks, I will take doing 5AS' into consideration! ^^
Moronic Acid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaveJ)
That's really not true.

People on here have emailed colleges that say on paper they accept people with 2 science subjects for medicine, and have been told it is INCREDIBLY rare. So the OP won't keep his options open for medicine if he drops maths.

Law, however, has NO SPECIFIC SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS! So why on earth would he drop maths which would disadvantage him in medicine, when he could drop english which would disadvantage him in nothing?!
Law has no subject requirements - but they would certainly favour someone with an essay based subject like english over maths (which arguably has no significance to law anyway)

Maths definitely would be good for a pure medicine interview and i would have advised the OP to drop english/history if that was case but the question here is not 'which options are best for medicine/law', it's 'which options are best for medicine OR law'
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Law has no subject requirements - but they would certainly favour someone with an essay based subject like english over maths (which arguably has no significance to law anyway)

Maths definitely would be good for a pure medicine interview and i would have advised the OP to drop english/history if that was case but the question here is not 'which options are best for medicine/law', it's 'which options are best for medicine OR law'

I disagree. They just want academically rigorous subjects for Law. I know a guy who got in with just one essay subject.
dancingshoes10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Mmmm actually if you want to study Law they LOVE you to have Maths.
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOOOOOL, that people can't have choices?
No; that you're an over-competitive prestige whore who, upon his nigh-on-inevitable rejection, will be filling out the forms for subsequent reapplication. You're far from alone in your "I WUNTS TO DO OXBRIDGE LAW OR MEDICINE" attitude, and people like you make me sick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads