Changing style, how do you actually go from geek to chic? Watch

Hurley001
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
well i like topman even though loads of people here seem to hate it. anyway go into topman, river island, burtons, next, H+M, zara (bit more expensive) anyway go into those shops look at the manaquinn(spelling lol) see if it looks good to you and either try it on. if money isnt a roblem buys several differant types of jeans and see which look good for you. for example i wear alot of boot cut jeans but i also have alot of skinney jeans so i mix it up and try others depending on my mood. and as for t-shirts, you cant go wrong with t-shirts. try some printed Ts with pictures or patters, theres alot of retro ones out now like the mr. men tops. after you get the t-shirt and jeans sorted move on to coats,waitcoats, hoodies etc... As for shoes converse are quite popular but depending on your jeans you could get some plimsols or if you get really baggy jeans try kswiss. if a skater look with 3/4 lengths go with dc's or vans.

i cant think of anything else, sorry if i didnt help and also some of what i said may not be totaly helpful cuz im not a style guru but i do think i have some fashion sense, also i agreed find someone to go shopping with but make sure they like shopping. otherwise they wont be helpful at all.
zeropoint
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am a physics student and fashion alludes me as well, however my advice is to people watch. Look at the people around you and work out what looks good, what works and what does not. Eventually you will work out what looks good, and then when you should shop, you can work out what you can buy which when worn with what you have, would look good.

In the mean time, if you have a good figure, show it. long sleeves look smart, and block colours are easy. Black is always in.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You want to be a 'chic'? Riiiiight. Coz that makes sense. Anyone care to enlighten me on what he means?
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chic means attractive and fashionable....did you really not know what that meant?
abigail_92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...7714&langId=-1
these ons are OK from topman
also the contrast baseball tops from topman are nice still quite plain but a different colour around the edge of the nech and sleeves
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, I went into Primark and bought some jeans that I thought are more stylish. Not just the plain ones, I got ones that look more distressed. Tried on a few difference sizes and all that. Apparently they're straight cut, low rise and loose fit, whatever they mean. Need to work on the top half a little bit now.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How about you actually post a pic of yourself OP and then people will get a better idea of how you look and your physique and what would suit you.
beccadimambro
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Argh, don't get jeans that aren't long enough!! I HATE that! Just get something that fits well; not skinny but not baggy.

Mm, speaking on men wearing clothes, I reallyreally like guys in casual plain white shirts .
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steelmole)
how do you actually go from geek to chic?
By NOT using phrases like that!
steelmole
Rep:
?
Well, I've got a couple of pictures. I'm not sure they help that much, but I'm rather hesitant to post nude shots >_>

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1354/image1gr5.jpg
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/6123/image2az6.jpg
andrewmr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't really see the bottom but the t-shirt looks to be at least a size too big.

A good rule of thumb is making sure the shoulder seams fall right on the very top of your shoulder.
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by andrewmr)
Can't really see the bottom but the t-shirt looks to be at least a size too big.

A good rule of thumb is making sure the shoulder seams fall right on the very top of your shoulder.
As I said before, the t-shirt is a large a medium fits much better. I still wear them because they aren't totally worn out or anything.
andrewmr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get plain t-shirts for like £3 at H&M, get a bunch in varying colours.
Rubaiyat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to look truly chic instead of 'normal', it takes some effort. Develop a sensitive eye for colour, texture and fit (and to a lesser extent, silhouette and shape). Stick with subtlety for now:I'd avoid anything too unusual, eccentric or overtly trendy until you're confident with clothes. Watching people is good.
Try having a look at The Sartorialist: http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/
Face Hunter is a little more 'edgy' so perhaps not helpful: http://facehunter.blogspot.com/
Good luck!
steelmole
Rep:
?
I fear trying to be really stylish would suffer from diminishing returns, so I'll just stick to normal.

I did my clothes shopping before university. Just bought some t-shirts that fit and 12 identical pairs of socks. Everything's very plain, I just hate patterns/logos on things. Also I went to possibly the best shop ever to try to buy a dinner suit. You walk in and the guy knows your size, then they just bring clothes to you. It takes about 10 minutes, maybe I should just wear a suit all the time.

What can I do about my skin? It's quite greasy and I suffer from acne a fair bit (well, I use benzoyl peroxide which keeps it at bay) but I noticed I have lots of black/brown dots on my face and if I squeeze them all this yellow stuff comes out. Now I tried looking up what you can do for this but I'm just baffled by all the "cleansing" and "exfoliating"
in_vogue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP don't change, you sound perfect from the dreads to the baggy Ts
For your skin, you need to get into a 'routine'. Just go into Boots and have a look at the different spot fighting ranges/brands avaialable, then decide which you like best. You'll need to get a 'cleanser', ie soap which will basically just wash your face. Exfoliating is good - it's usually a gel or a cream with little beads in it to rub away the dead skin. Get one of those as well, and use it 3-4 times a week. After all that scrubbing and exfoliating, your skin is probably going to need to be moisturised as well, so make sure you pick a moisturizer that is part of an ''anti acne'' range - this'll stop it clogging up your pores. Personally I only follow the routine in the evening, as twice a day makes my skin kinda raw, but a lot of people do it twice a day. Carry on with the BP, put it on before you go to bed.
steelmole
Rep:
?
(Original post by in_vogue)
OP don't change, you sound perfect from the dreads to the baggy Ts
For your skin, you need to get into a 'routine'. Just go into Boots and have a look at the different spot fighting ranges/brands avaialable, then decide which you like best. You'll need to get a 'cleanser', ie soap which will basically just wash your face. Exfoliating is good - it's usually a gel or a cream with little beads in it to rub away the dead skin. Get one of those as well, and use it 3-4 times a week. After all that scrubbing and exfoliating, your skin is probably going to need to be moisturised as well, so make sure you pick a moisturizer that is part of an ''anti acne'' range - this'll stop it clogging up your pores. Personally I only follow the routine in the evening, as twice a day makes my skin kinda raw, but a lot of people do it twice a day. Carry on with the BP, put it on before you go to bed.
I think I'm just too tall for baggy t-shirts. You might have some image of me going round being a cool skater type, that's really not it.

Put benzoyl peroxide on before you go to bed? I've always done it in the morning, stops me ruining my bed sheets. I guess I'll go to boots to look for those things, sounds exciting.
romillyj
Report 10 years ago
Regarding your skin, in-vogue is partially right, you do need to get into a routine. However (and this is a biggy!) you should not overscrub/over process your skin. The more you dry out your skin, the more nature pumps out oil to compensate - a vicious circle! The only way to clean up skin is to keep it clean but not dried out. Cleanse your skin twice a day(morning and night) making sure to remove all make-up and grime before going to bed. The only other time to make sure you clean your skin is after sport (to ensure sweat doesn't sit on the skin). Scrubs are good, but only once a week. Use a moisturiser if you think your face is drying out. Don't use products with the following ingredients in them (as they all overdry the skin) -alcohol (eg toners) and harsh chemicals (such as propylene glycol and sodium lauryl sulphate). Don't put your hands on your face (spreading bacteria!) and keep hair tied back (hair spreads even more bacteria!). Ironically, just when you want to cover up (when the spots are at their worse), most of us want to cover up with make-up or a fringe, it's the wrong way to go as it will cause more problems.

I have tried everything but have recently come across a range called face boutique. Not cheap, but my skin has cleared up a lot and they have given me some great advice. Worth a go......... Hope this all helps. RR
steelmole
Rep:
?
I went to look at some of these things. My my they're expensive, and I couldn't really work out what I needed so I didn't get any of it. How can you not put your hands on your face? I do that all the time, must be incredibly hard not to. Can someone show me the sort of things I should buy on an online shop? (think of th £££ too)

The scars are fairly bad, but there's not a lot i can do there. One fairly recent one turned into a sort of blood blister, I don't know what that was about.
Rubaiyat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cheap and effective:
http://www.acne.org/aspirin-mask-reviews/75/page1.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (754)
80.3%
Leave (185)
19.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise