The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
New shiny thread here. :smile:
Do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS level... plus one other subject of your liking, English Literature is a good one...

After that you can drop one of Biology and Maths for A2 if you want, as many universities ask for Chemistry at A2, alongside one other science (Biology, Maths, Physics)... but do some research into universities you fancy.. i know for one that Nottingham ask for Biology and Chemistry at A2.. where as Sheffield say they want just A2 Chemistry plus one other Science... but want Biology and another science to at least AS level..
Reply 22
Chemistry and Biology i think you should do

The other two choices i think should be up to you. You shouldnt choose subjects which you think are ideal in medicine but what you enjoy hence why i chose Bio, Chem, French, German (we have to do Critical Thinking which is a complete waste of time). Do you really want to do 2 years (if you carry them all on to A2) of subjects which you think are "ideal" when you don't enjoy them? I could of done maths- i considered it- but i love my languages and prefer them!!!

However, i do think you should ideally have got an A or A* in maths GCSE if you are not doing it for AS.
Reply 23
I did Bio, Chem, Maths and RS (good for thinking of the ethical side to medicine), and an AS in Critical Thinking which helped with the UKCAT.
Reply 24
I did Bio, Chem, Maths and French at AS because at the time I thought it was one of the best combinations for Medicine, and I enjoyed all of them at GCSE. I could've applied anywhere with those subjects and not been at a disadvantage (eg UCL prefer a contrasting subject, some Cambridge colleges prefer/require 3 sciences) - obviously the same goes for if you picked Physics instead of Maths, and another rigorous subject like Eng Lit or History instead of French. You don't need Maths or Physics, but it just keeps a couple more options open and if you enjoy/are good at them it's always a safe option. I also did Critical Thinking as an extra AS, which was helpful-ish for the UKCAT.
Bio, chem and whatever else you fancy!
Reply 26
biology, psychology, law, philosophy, I reckon.

But obviously uni's want chemistry, cause they're sadists.
Which would grab the universities attention more:
Maths, chemistry, biology and a language or maths, chemistry, biology and english literature?
Reply 28
bio chem maths n psychology
Reply 29
larry
I would say: Maths, F Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys for 5 subjects, if you wanna do 4 subject take out F Maths. But i reckon an english or theatre studies will be liked alot as it shows the essential quality of confidence and communication. You could do all 5 sciences and be a nerd for all they know, 1 art with 3 sciences is ideal i reckon.

LAWL Further maths isnt IDEAL, probably Chem, Bio, Maths and something un-science related is good.
hey guys check out the subjects im doing in my signature and if you guys could give me any helpful advice for these subjects before i start 6th form and any other helpful advice to boost my application for medicine

thanks
Reply 31
LegendKiller377
hey guys check out the subjects im doing in my signature and if you guys could give me any helpful advice for these subjects before i start 6th form and any other helpful advice to boost my application for medicine

thanks

Ermm, maybe its just me but i can't see your signature..:confused:
Priyanka1992
Ermm, maybe its just me but i can't see your signature..:confused:

Scroll up to the first post he's made on this page.
Reply 33
why do people keep saying 'do maths'? Have any of you ever actually studied medicine? :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Saffie
why do people keep saying 'do maths'? Have any of you ever actually studied medicine? :rolleyes:

Maths helped me with Chem.
Reply 35
Lu-x

But if you have no interest in maths, you shouldn't study it just because it might help with another A Level.
If you study what you enjoy, you'll be more likely to work hard at it and do well in it.
Lu-x

In an ideal world one wouldn't have to study chem to do medicine though, since, from what I've heard it's largely irrelevant to medicine.
Reply 37
Saffie
But if you have no interest in maths, you shouldn't study it just because it might help with another A Level.
If you study what you enjoy, you'll be more likely to work hard at it and do well in it.

In an ideal world, maybe. I had no interest in maths or chemistry for that matter, but I desperately wanted to do medicine. So I did them both and ended up thoroughly enjoying them once I got into them. Fact of the matter is that if I hadn't have done maths, I would have forgotten my 'mathematical mind' for want of a better way to put it, and come 2nd year chemistry calculations I would have failed.
Reply 38
Lu-x
In an ideal world, maybe. I had no interest in maths or chemistry for that matter, but I desperately wanted to do medicine. So I did them both and ended up thoroughly enjoying them once I got into them. Fact of the matter is that if I hadn't have done maths, I would have forgotten my 'mathematical mind' for want of a better way to put it, and come 2nd year chemistry calculations I would have failed.

I don't recall any difficult chemistry calculations at A Level, maybe you did a different syllabus.

You're also lucky then, that you didn't change your mind about medicine during A Levels. If you don't really like maths/chem and then decided you didn't actually want to do medicine, you'd be a bit stuck if trying to get onto another course.

I really don't see any need to do maths, I'm afraid you'd have to sell it much better to ever change my mind.
Reply 39
Saffie
I don't recall any difficult chemistry calculations at A Level, maybe you did a different syllabus.

You're also lucky then, that you didn't change your mind about medicine during A Levels. If you don't really like maths/chem and then decided you didn't actually want to do medicine, you'd be a bit stuck if trying to get onto another course.

I really don't see any need to do maths, I'm afraid you'd have to sell it much better to ever change my mind.

I went to a comprehensive school where the teachers were uninspiring and we'd just sit around in lessons chatting. All chemistry was to me then was the extraction of metals from ores...boring boring boring. All maths was to me then was protracters and compasses...boring boring boring. A-levels were different and completely changed my opinions of the subjects, and my teachers were awesome. Perhaps thats why I found maths A-level so useful in chemistry, because my whole approach to maths changed: maths was a challenge and it was fun, and so chemistry calculations were a challenge and fun. I just know that if I hadn't have taken maths, I would have such a negative attitude towards calculations and would have sucked at them. Have I sold it to you yet :p:?

Latest

Trending

Trending