Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    little things like not always checking mirrors properly and not always indicating (though that is a pet peeve so doesnt happen very often)

my main bad habit is thinking that i'm driving a rally car, and also sometimes getting annoyed by other road users - sometimes have to annoy them back..... lol

ReputationRep:
    spagetti-arms (crossing them when i turn the wheel)
    setting off from a traffic light in 3rd gear :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    I put it into neutral before putting the handbrake on...
    Maybe it's just me...but that's what I was taught to do. Indicate, brake, clutch, neutral, handbrake, indicators off, rest your feet.

ReputationRep:
    Coasting. I really hate that I do it, and I try to make a conscious effort not to, but it happens. It's usually when I'm slowing down quite a bit, I just cba to change down, so I stick it in neutral until I figure what gear I've slowed to. I've always had a problem (since my learner days) with putting the clutch down far too early and holding it, which essentially just evolved into that.

ReputationRep:
    Driving with one hand.
    Getting distracted by various things (people at the side of the road, the worst is when my mobile phone rings constantly to the point where i have to attempt to find it and turn it off).
    Not indicating sometimes.
    Speeding.

ReputationRep:
    slowing down when an a driver tailgates/wants to overtake, then speeding up just as he is about to
    i like peeing them off hah

ReputationRep:
    Extreme speeding in all speed zones.
    Going slower than walking pace over speed bumps (drive a classic Mini Cooper Sport so can't really help it but people get so very angry)
    Racing from the lights
    Refusing to be cut up by another driver and won't let it happen at all costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dropdead__x)
    slowing down when an a driver tailgates/wants to overtake, then speeding up just as he is about to
    i like peeing them off hah
    I do this.

However I do it to the point where it develops into a dangerous situation lol.

Last week on a main road in sheffield a double decker bus was tailgating me in my Mini....(yes....a double decker bus against a Mini) and I just went slower and slower and I ended up on the clutch in the end. Things really did get out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    I do this.

However I do it to the point where it develops into a dangerous situation lol.

Last week on a main road in sheffield a double decker bus was tailgating me in my Mini....(yes....a double decker bus against a Mini) and I just went slower and slower and I ended up on the clutch in the end. Things really did get out of hand.
    yeah, i suppose that is a bit naughty :p:
    they shouldn't be tailgating though:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dropdead__x)
    yeah, i suppose that is a bit naughty :p:
    they shouldn't be tailgating though:yep:
    It was pretty bad to be honest. We got to some lights and the bus stopped short and started writing down my number plate, so I backed up and blocked him in lol. I got out of the car and some choice words were spoken and I promised him I'd have him fired. I'd already seen him do a three point turn in the middle of a busy road, nearly wipe me out, nearly wipe the car behind me out, then he caught up with me later and tailgated me. He tried to overtake me when I was doing 30 in a 30 limit :eek: ....with a double decker bus, in the middle of town on a saterday.

ReputationRep:
    When i need to change up a gear but can see i'll need to change down again quite soon, so i don't bother to change. Pure laziness really. Ha.

Trying to beat people at traffic lights, in my pathetic 1.1 206.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Maybe it's just me...but that's what I was taught to do. Indicate, brake, clutch, neutral, handbrake, indicators off, rest your feet.
    From what I've been told, it should be handbrake then neutral. I don't think it makes any difference really.

(Original post by Q_M)
    I do that too. Probably not a good thing to do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    From what I've been told, it should be handbrake then neutral. I don't think it makes any difference really.

I do that too. Probably not a good thing to do though.

If someones in the lane next to me and they've cut people up, they WONT get in front of me, there is no chance. I also won't let them in behind. Wow I really am a complete ba££ard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    Trying to whack one off and drive at the same time.
    I've never tried that one, I might give it a go.

I always go straight over mini roundabouts. I had one of my friends in the back last night with his gf & i made them whack their heads together doing it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    Coasting does not save petrol. You'd be better to leave it going in gear.
    Err coasting does save petrol, just stick the clutch down and watch the revs fall. It's heavenly, my eyes glaze over with pound signs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    Coasting does not save petrol. You'd be better to leave it going in gear.
    Coasting with the engine turned off for more than 6 seconds saves petrol (30 seconds for a carb engine)
    Saving your starter motor is another matter tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Extreme speeding in all speed zones.
    Going slower than walking pace over speed bumps (drive a classic Mini Cooper Sport so can't really help it but people get so very angry)
    Racing from the lights

all of the above....

i drive a 1972 beetle but its a bit modified... the front beam (axle) sits literally an inch off the ground so speed bumps are the bain of my life!!!

i do speed a fair bit, but the thing that winds me up is when people try to overtake me when i'm already doing the limit!! grrr!! have been known to tail such idiots just to overtake them, even if it means going "the long way round" lol :rolleyes:

sure you'll know what i mean when i say people see an old car so presume it'll be slow - presume i'll crawl away from a roundabout so cut me up!!

(i know tofufi drives a bug too so will know what i'm on about!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmaricz)
    all of the above....

i drive a 1972 beetle but its a bit modified... the front beam (axle) sits literally an inch off the ground so speed bumps are the bain of my life!!!
    Wow, you've got 2 inch rims :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My two worst habits would be speeding (but not up to crazy levels) and getting really annoyed at other drivers for doing the slightest things, such as cutting across me at a roundabout: I'm going right and someone pulls out from the other side when I'm half way round to go straight over p***es me off no end.

The funny thing is, my mum made me speed, she told me that using 4th gear in towns (30 limit) is better than 3rd as the fuel economy is better, but all changing into 4th does for me is it makes the car go faster and then break the limit. My dad doesn't set a good example either, by regularly going on motorways at an average speed of 90 rather than 70.

ReputationRep:
    omg so many

The usual, one hand steering wheel, not checking mirrors enough, cutting corners, not giving way to people in the lanes near my house, forgetting to put my lights on (i did this the other day when i left tesco, it was so light i forgot!)

One thing that really gets to me is because i drive a ford ka, people always assume im going to be slow and pull out in front of me on a 60mph road (that i use all the time) it gets me so angry because i have to slam on my breaks, so as punishment i drive up their ass all the way! haha serves them right for thinking im a slow woman driver :p: i take after my dad though, and hes done rally driving and the likes, its in the blood lol.

Edit: I also cant stand people who try to overtake when you're going the speed limit, whats the point. i go down a motorway far too fast, but theres always someone who wants to go faster :s:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.