Bikes & Cyclists Watch

User203443
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because Evans stock different bike ranges. I could get a nice Bianchi from Evans or a nice Focus Cayo from Wiggle. I'd use both (apart from I couldn't afford either the Bianchi's or the Cayo).

Alternatively help out your LBS and get a good bike fit at the same time.
beautiful sunrise
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm all for discounts and low prices but for someone who's never bought a bike before you're better off with "try before you buy", rather then get a lot of random things on the internet.
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I spent £110 on a Halfords Apollo bike a couple of years ago and used it to do the 3 Mile each way commute to Uni. Had no problems with the bike apart from the need of a new bottom bracket after 3 years hard riding. Really enjoyed doing it. Cycle network in Newcastle Under Lyme is... well... non existant, but you soon learn where to go. As others have said, a good set of tools, puncture repair kit, helmet and lights are essential. Also, if you have a small independant bike shop near you have a look in there. I go to a small one in Newcastle and the chap in there is fantastic. £19 for a new bottom bracket, fitted and a full service. Happy.
User203443
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Odd that, I used to ride an Apollo and I broke the bottom bracket too.
It's alright, but it is very, very heavy so if you live in a hilly place don't buy one.
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheLostProphet)
Yeah sorry, I forgot to add the links. Here's the Raleigh and here's the rest of them.

Cheers for the advice. Yeah, I think I'll be popping into Evans whatever I do to at least test ride it a bit.
I'd say stay away from bikes with full suspension that are that cheap.
You lose too much power when riding, the suspension is heavy, and the suspension usually claps out fairly quickly.

(Original post by DeanK2)
Do not buy a bike from evans cycles, or amazon - or any big retailer. You will get absolutely **** bikes. Your best bet would be e-bay or Ribbles Cycles - please post what type of bike you actually intend to ride - road bike, cross bike, mountain bike, and I would be more than happy to advise. Infact, Manchester Velodrome sell reasonably priced road bikes.
I would disagree.
Evans sell a whole bunch of decent bikes.
Pinnacle, GT, Bianchi, Kona, Cannondale, Dawes, Mongoose.
There's nothing to sniff at.

Same with Halfords.
Kona, GT, Boardman, Carrera, Voodoo.

(Original post by one2three_abc)
And money buys quality. Buying off ebay imo is a grave mistake.
It depends on the OP's price range. It seems they wouldn't mind spending £200, so something like a Trek would be fine.
It depends, a lot of the guys I work with have brought amazing stuff off eBay. It depends if you know what you're looking for really. If you don't, then yes, stay away from eBay.
DeanK2
Report 10 years ago
Don't listen to the claims that Evans sell 'quality' bikes. Quality bikes are reasonably priced. The amount of money they are askking for Scott and Bianchi named bikes with campag record or Dura Ace is just ridiculous - you would be better off building your own. Seriously! Go on Evan's cycles, then go somewhere else online. Compare road bikes. On Wiggle, they are offering a road bike with Carbon Sport 50 Lightweight wheels for £3K. The wheels are worth £2K. Look at what you can buy for £3K on Evans - nothing.
DeanK2
Report 10 years ago
***Nothing to compare
DeanK2
Report 10 years ago
Boycott Evans!!!!
User203443
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course a dura ace groupset Bianchi will be expensive, all road bike stuff is expensive as hell, especially a dura ace one.
You shouldn't even be buying a dura ace equipped bike unless you're a pro racer. Not worth the money.
TheLostProphet
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified a little more. Generally I'll be using it for making a 25 minute walk a lot quicker in my 1st year, and then it depends where I'll live after that. I'm after a mountain bike because it seems all purpose and in the off chance some sexy siren invites me to go biking with her in romantic mountains, I'll have something that wont fall apart.

About £200 would be dandy for me. I am a pisspoor student after all.
TheLostProphet
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So I found this site which seems alright. Full suspension is bloody expensive lol. By necessity, the hardtails will probably be what I'm getting. Can anyone give me any advice on these? That £200 Trek is the first one that caught my eye, naturally.
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DeanK2)
Don't listen to the claims that Evans sell 'quality' bikes. Quality bikes are reasonably priced. The amount of money they are askking for Scott and Bianchi named bikes with campag record or Dura Ace is just ridiculous - you would be better off building your own. Seriously! Go on Evan's cycles, then go somewhere else online. Compare road bikes. On Wiggle, they are offering a road bike with Carbon Sport 50 Lightweight wheels for £3K. The wheels are worth £2K. Look at what you can buy for £3K on Evans - nothing.
You're problem with Evans seem to be that they're overprice with some of their bikes. So there isn't a problem with the quality, just the cost. Okay.
Most people wouldn't know where to start with building a bike, so to recommend that to someone who isn't looking to spend £200 isn't really practical.
magic_unicorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought I'd buy a bike for uni, to save cash on bus fare and get more exercise. So I went to Halfords and got a cheap, £120 bike, which i thought looked nice and worked well. But since bringing it home to people who actually know about bikes, I've been told its a rubbish bike and when i try other peoples bikes I now know what they mean.

So I've learnt not to buy a bike for under £200, or get a quality 2nd hand bike.
Make sure that it isn't created using cheap materials.
Preferably to have gone for a lightweight bike.
and to always take someone who has a clue about cycling and bikes with you.
Independent bike shops are more likely to sell better quality bikes, if a bit more expensive.

I'm going to keep my bike for a year, the heaviness means I be doing twice as much of a workout and I'll buy a new much better bike next year now.
But for now fingers crossed it wont fall in half: as its got bouncy suspension that sometimes feels like its gong to go its separate ways.
beautiful sunrise
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheLostProphet)
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified a little more. Generally I'll be using it for making a 25 minute walk a lot quicker in my 1st year, and then it depends where I'll live after that. I'm after a mountain bike because it seems all purpose and in the off chance some sexy siren invites me to go biking with her in romantic mountains, I'll have something that wont fall apart.

About £200 would be dandy for me. I am a pisspoor student after all.
If it's just to cut the walk down to a 10min ride then I wouldn't worry about getting a light, expensive bike. Traffic slows you down anyway. I think with inexpensive Treks, the frame's good while the rest of the parts - tyres, pedals etc are cheap to keep the costs down. But you can easily replace them if you find you're using the bike a lot more than anticipated, and by then you'll know a heck of a lot more about bikes anyway.

I can't say I know much about mountain bikes myself. I do recommend hybrids for both road and off-road cycling though. I'd also recommend asking in cycling forums where you'll get a more informed response than "Evans is rubbish". They will try to convince you to invest more upfront on a quality bike I should warn you

Try
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/
http://www.thecyclepeople.com/forum/
http://www.cyclingforums.com/

And the Cycling Plus online mag for reviews
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...uct/3500-10447
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
Try Halfords? They have a mountain bike for £80 (with dual suspension) which I'm probably going to get today.
I really hope that you haven't. Take it from someone who knows, stay the hell away from that garbage. It will only give you a headache.
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Explain?
What would you like to know?
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why I should "stay the hell away from that garbage".
The components on the bike are weak. The bikes are listed for as adults, but they're not meant for adults.
The wheels aren't all that strong, there are a lot of plastic parts on the bike.
And the suspension system on the bike is awful, it's not strong, and rarely works corrected.
If you're using it for going off road it's not recommended (I think it still says that on the bike actually). If you're using it for commuter, you're better off getting a bike without suspension as you'll lose power on the road.
Oh yeah, and the bike is very heavy.
zmaricz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
erm..... i bought a second hand diamondback for £30..... (it had sat in someone's garage as an unwanted present for the last year and a half) Gave it a good clean and a proper service and job's a good un!

after all, i used to have expensive bikes (2k ish) but they always used to get nicked! as a poor student this'll do the job just fine and if it disapears its not the end of the world

if you've not got a problem with riding a secondhand bike check out your local rag or freeads!
zmaricz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm only going to be using it riding in parks/forests, and on the website it says it's suitable, off road. If it is heavy, it wouldn't bother me either. I'm collecting it tonight.
I had an Apollo Guru (old, cheap) as my "chuck around" bike for years! True it did weigh about the same as an elephant, but it was ridiculously strong! used to ride it everywhere, on road, off road, jumps, rivers etc and never had any problems - far less than the problems i've had with some very much more expensive bikes more recently!

for everyday riding it'll be fine as long as you maintain it every now and again. Unless you're doing any serious cyling most bikes "will do".....
splooj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're absolutely mad if you spend over a hundred quid on a bike for just running around on.

Buy a piece of crap second hand bike and then just keep the chain oiled and be prepared for the odd tyre repair. You won't be able to race the thing but who cares? And if it gets nicked it doesn't matter because it was dirt cheap anyway.

Bikes are surprisingly resilient and when they do start to break they're very easy to bodge back together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads