Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Also most boxing matchs at this age are won on points and are usually 3-5 rounds 2-3minutes a round...

Ive never been knocked out, ive been knocked down and ive knocked people down but never out...

Its only common in the bigger/higher/heavier matchs

ReputationRep:
    "Most students are intelligent enough to see boxing as barbaric" wasn't the best way to phrase how you felt, but hey, no one seems to be offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    "Most students are intelligent enough to see boxing as barbaric" wasn't the best way to phrase how you felt, but hey, no one seems to be offended.

Nah im not offended lol i enjoy it so thats all that matters really...

Shortarse what you studying ? You seem a groovy kinda person

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear it (and gm15 - I'm not having a go at you, I just dislike rudeness is all)

I do geology, you're a geographer right? We're in the same department :p:

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear it (and gm15 - I'm not having a go at you, I just dislike rudeness is all)

What year?

I was gonna do geology but got bored of it lol
    I did do it at A level and GCSE though
    And my friends starting it at RHUL this year as well

I might bump in to you while im lost in the department lol

ReputationRep:
    3rd year :eek:

You realise there's quite a lot of inter-departmental rivalry going on! Give me a shout if you or your geology friend want to know anything

ReputationRep:
    3rd year :eek:

You realise there's quite a lot of inter-departmental rivalry going on! Give me a shout if you or your geology friend want to know anything

Add me on msn

[email protected]

Be easier

ReputationRep:

As you and wellerism have said nobodies offended - so please explain exactly how I've been rude.

ReputationRep:
    You called boxing barbaric, and anyone who disagrees unintelligent - do you not think that's rude? I may not like it either, but I wouldn't say that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im not offended by it but you what you said was rude

ReputationRep:
    NO it was my opinion. 2. How is intentionally beating the sh't out of somebody not barbaric. And anyway again its my opinion - it doesn't become rude just because you disagree. 3. Unintelligent: No I said that most students are intelligent enought to see it as barbaric... this doesn't imply no intelligence on the part of suporters just lesser intelligence. 2. What exactly is intelligent about finding enjoyment in causing serious inury to somebody else (even if they chose to participate)? 3. Fine I'll change it to "most students are mature enough to see how barbaric boxing is."

ReputationRep:
    Lol this is turning heated
    I cant be bothered to argue for a sport i love to take part in and watch
    Im of no lesser intelligence as i got my grades to get in
    and im mature enough to see how some people see it as barbaric and accept it, maybe its a less mature view to see it as barbaric who knows, who cares...

All to their own as i say though

ReputationRep:
    I did change intelligent to mature - although there is no argument for supporting boxing being an intelligent thing.
    A best the 2 sides are equal in the maturity stakes - at worst supporting boxing is a little imature.
    I'm bored of the thread anyway - and didn't mean for it to turn "heated"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    I did change intelligent to mature - although there is no argument for supporting boxing being an intelligent thing.
    A best the 2 sides are equal in the maturity stakes - at worst supporting boxing is a little imature.
    I'm bored of the thread anyway - and didn't mean for it to turn "heated"
    To those who abhor violence, boxing will obviously be seen as barbaric - but violence is a part of human nature. Do not pretend to be more 'mature' than another person because they choose to box. To some people boxing, and indeed all forms of combat, represent a form of pure human expression. Some people find it inspiring to see a man pick himself up off the canvas and defeat an opponent against all odds. Some people admire the skill and dedication required to outmaneuver an opponent with superior footwork/hand speed/tactics. And most importantly, two men who hate each other more often than not come out of the boxing ring sharing a mutual respect for one another that they could not otherwise have gained - not through civilised conversation, which would only lead to both sides fervently [and gradually less intelligently] defending their own personal beliefs. Now, I'm not saying that everyone involved in boxing views it as an art, but certainly many do - and it's therefore a little narrow minded of you to make the sweeping generalisation that all who involve themselves in boxing are barbarians. Moreover, I cannot understand why you are so cynical where boxing is concerned when you are so keen to join Royal Holloway's Ninjuitsu club? Even if your argument is that you are to use this martial *art* only in self-defence, it is still barbaric, if we follow your line of thinking, since your intention will always be to harm the other person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    NO it was my opinion. 2. How is intentionally beating the sh't out of somebody not barbaric. And anyway again its my opinion - it doesn't become rude just because you disagree. 3. Unintelligent: No I said that most students are intelligent enought to see it as barbaric... this doesn't imply no intelligence on the part of suporters just lesser intelligence. 2. What exactly is intelligent about finding enjoyment in causing serious inury to somebody else (even if they chose to participate)? 3. Fine I'll change it to "most students are mature enough to see how barbaric boxing is."
    Get over yourself.

(that's my opinion so it can't be rude)

ReputationRep:
    Heated HEATED!

ReputationRep:
    Innit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellerism)
    Heated HEATED!
    How long have you been boxing? out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    1 year, then 3 years of training due to having braces , now just trying to get back in to it, like trying to find matches etc

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.