Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)
    ****ing giving me catered accommodation above the amount i am willing to spend. *****

on a side note, what is hiatt baker like?
    I feel sorry about your situation but there might be several reasons accounting for this: 1) apply beyond deadline 2)choices are too competitive.
    I don't know if those applied to you but I think the system is still fair.

If you really want a change, you could tell the accommodation office before Christmas, I think they will arrange one for you asap.

p.s:We all like Bristol and don't want anything to ruin its reputation.

To be honest, if I was studying at Bristol, I would feel insulted, seeing the critism on your posts the the thread title about the uni. Some people like Bristol, some people don't. If you don't like the accomodation Bristol phone the accommodation office and tell them your situation, or alternatively get a private property to rent that is near to where your lectures are etc. and is someone that is within your price range! Shouting at users here (even if you were not doing it intentionally) is not going to help anyone, including yourself. Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I think that if you are not happy about the standard of accommodation that's been offered, (I assume this is going to be your second or third year) you should be famlar with the surroundings and be able to rent yourself a property close to the uni. I'm afraid, that's possibly your only solution. Get accommodation that is in the the uni itself, but private accommodation - then you will be able to decide what you want for the price you want. There! Problem sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Ok, well... that is a problem caused by yourself by putting Richmond down as second choice. Bear in mind that the Uni doesn't have THAT many self-catered halls and you're asking a lot of them to put you in a self-catered hall that fits in to your price range when they simply aren't able to do that.

If I remember correctly, University Hall is self-catered, quite cheap and usually under subscribed. Give them a call and ask them about them. If you end up in HB, you WILL thoroughly enjoy it, even if its not EXACTLY what you wanted.
    ok. i've pretty much conceded to the fact that i'm going to have to put up with HB.

few questions?

what is it like socially?
    what are the communal cooking facilities like?
    is it relatively easy to get a parking pass?
    what are the rooms like?

if you dont know one, answer another. i'm kind of in the need of some answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fakefact)
    I feel sorry about your situation but there might be several reasons accounting for this: 1) apply beyond deadline 2)choices are too competitive.
    I don't know if those applied to you but I think the system is still fair.

If you really want a change, you could tell the accommodation office before Christmas, I think they will arrange one for you asap.

p.s:We all like Bristol and don't want anything to ruin its reputation.
    i applied very early and yes, i did muck up my choices a bit but i'd still expect to get a self-catered room tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)
    ok. i've pretty much conceded to the fact that i'm going to have to put up with HB.

few questions?

what is it like socially?
    what are the communal cooking facilities like?
    is it relatively easy to get a parking pass?
    what are the rooms like?

if you dont know one, answer another. i'm kind of in the need of some answers

Socially? Bloody marvelous.
    Cooking facilities? Every floor has two small kitchens, each with a four ringed hob, microwave, grill and oven, sink and preparation area. All well maintained and usable.
    Parking? Yup, every one of my friends who had a car got a parking pass no problem.
    Rooms? When I was there, they were just refitting them. ALL of them are a fair size and have all the necessary bits and pieces. I loved my room, it was really good and I felt comfortable right from the very first night.

You can't go wrong with HB IMO...

(Original post by neon)
    its a bit late to go about sorting all that out with only 4 weeks to go until move in date
    No, it's not! There must be some estate agents looking for potential students to rent there property seeing as it's nearly move-in date. Start today and look for something in your price bracket - I'm sure they'll give you discounts seeing that you are a student and the housing market has been falling recently. So they are desperate to rent/sell their properties. Look around and maybe there's a room available near the uni and fits well within your accommodation budget - but you must start today to get the best rooms! Private accommodation, in this case, is the only option available; unless you are willing to stay in Bristol's accommodation which you are clearly not happy of.

EDIT: 4 weeks! That's a month! Especially as you're renting, you could get a room this week! Seriously, what are you waiting for? Bristol to negoiate their prices? I'll doubt they'll do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    No, it's not! There must be some estate agents looking for potential students to rent there property seeing as it's nearly move-in date. Start today and look for something in your price bracket - I'm sure they'll give you discounts seeing that you are a student and the housing market has been falling recently. So they are desperate to rent/sell their properties. Look around and maybe there's a room available near the uni and fits well within your accommodation budget - but you must start today to get the best rooms! Private accommodation, in this case, is the only option available; unless you are willing to stay in Bristol's accommodation which you are clearly not happy of.
    the thing is, from what i have heard, halls are the best way to meet people and make new friends quickly. i dont want to end up living in a house. end of really. not going to happen. thanks for the help though

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you've calmed down yet....

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually tried phoning them and explaining that say, you'll find it difficult to meet the cost, is there anything they can do? I mean, you might find there's nothing they can do and you'll be in Hiatt Baker, but it can't hurt to ask. Maybe you could ask them to keep note of who you are incase anybody doesn't put in their acceptance for the self-catered place they've been offered, and a place becomes available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *sparkles*)
    Have you actually tried phoning them and explaining that say, you'll find it difficult to meet the cost, is there anything they can do? I mean, you might find there's nothing they can do and you'll be in Hiatt Baker, but it can't hurt to ask. Maybe you could ask them to keep note of who you are incase anybody doesn't put in their acceptance for the self-catered place they've been offered, and a place becomes available?
    done it. played the single parent sob story. they aren't budging apart from a possible shared room but tbh, i'd rather stick with HB than that. I dont think the main reason is that i'd hate HB, its just it really wasnt what i was looking for...

ReputationRep:
    yeh I kno... I think it's just getting used to the idea. When I found out I wasn't getting an en-suite and realised I'd have to share a bathroom I was put out, but I've come round to the idea. I know it's not actually the same situation, but you'll probably find that after a while you're perfectly happy in Hiatt Baker, once you've got used to the fact you're going catered now.

ReputationRep:
    If you end up being really unhappy with it, you can ask to change rooms once you're there. Plenty of people drop out etc, so there should be some rooms going in the other residences after a few weeks. I had a friend move from Goldney to HB just before christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Exact same thing happened to me, I applied for Goldney and Richmond and got neither and got moved from self catered to catered. Looks like the only options are sharing, private or looking for a transfer after 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    interesting.

LOUD NOISES

ReputationRep:
    HB has a facebook group for people coming this September. There's a list of stuff going on in freshers, a video showing you around the hall, and a video of a typical room. You don't get all meals provided for you, so you'll be able to cook sometimes, and have food cooked for you sometimes - everyone eating dinner/breakfast together is a very sociable thing. I know you're angry, but if self-catered halls are over subscribed, they're over subscribed, and someone had to be put elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    If I remember correctly, University Hall is self-catered, quite cheap and usually under subscribed. Give them a call and ask them about them.
    Uni Hall will be full. As a whole, self-catered was oversubscribed by 60 this year. The OP is just one of the unlucky 60. (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...ninfo0809.html)

To be fair, if I was in that position, I would be royally pissed off. It's what happens when you don't make a sensible second choice, though.

I believe you can join a transfer list when you arrive - so that if someone drops out of a self-catered accommodation, you can move there.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that when you get there you will be totally happy with your accomodation in HB, and at least you won't have the running costs of food!

Unfortunately for you, Bristol don't work their accom on a first come first served basis, they wait until they're all in. They just expect everyone to put an undersubscribed one second if you put an oversubscribed one first.

ReputationRep:
    Haha look at the little baby throwing a tantrum....

Halls are nothing to do with your grades, it's all about the PS! Now stop acting like you're the only person who has ever not gotten into their wanted accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like we really had a personal statment this year, ticking some boxes hardly counts!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *sparkles*)
    It's not like we really had a personal statment this year, ticking some boxes hardly counts!!
    :ditto: I actually didn't pay too much attention to it. Watch how they put me with people whose personalities clash with mine...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.