Gok Wan is full of it! Watch

MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report 10 years ago
He's a lot better than that Nicky Hambleton-Jones (as balloon_parade said), and Trinny and Susanna - all they do is fondle women's breasts on their show.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I watch How To Look Good Naked more because I'm interested in the product tests and in the personal journeys the women go through, not really because I'm interested in Gok or especially like the clothes he dresses the women in. While he gives some good general tips, he should stop trying to dress women in clothes normally worn by girls 10 years younger than them or basically just trying to dress them like they only shop at Topshop

I also used to prefer HTLGN when there was as much emphasis on eating well/living better/exercising more as there was on updating your clothes, makeup and hair. Now Gok never mentions these aspects of improving your self-esteem

I might get flamed for saying this, but I also don't like how physical he is with the women (kissing, hand-holding, touching boobs/bums...), simply because he would never get away with it if he were straight. Do gay men want equality with straight men or not? They can't act in a way that would be unacceptable for straight men and then expect to be treated the same, so which is it? [/rant]
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
You are sterotyping, exactly what you are accusing Gok of.

Hypocrite :rolleyes:

How is trying to make women feel more confident about themselves bad?

Hmmmm
Fat women need to be ridiculed into slimming down. Fact.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by juicyfruit)
They were killer heels aswell!
What was he thinking?!

Hahah, I know. Her face was a picture.

He then told her to "just sit down a lot" :lolwut:
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Apagg)
Fat women need to be ridiculed into slimming down. Fact.
Um, he never tells them to lose weight. Quite the opposite, makes them comfy with their weight

Fact.
worthers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's better than telling girls they need to lose weight at whatever cost. I think making women feel better about themselves is a positive thing .
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's nothing wrong with safely advising someone to lose weight, throwing up your food and starving yourself isn't the only way people get slimmer.
juicyfruit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LaurenFah)
Hahah, I know. Her face was a picture.

He then told her to "just sit down a lot" :lolwut:
Also, the rockchick/biker look he gave her, I'd love that style on me... but on an older woman/mother? Noway, looks like she's trying to hard to look younger.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She did look pretty good last night, in the face at least.
deadgenius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
I do wish people would sign their rep. It makes me sad when they don't.
I do wish people would give me rep. It makes me sad when they don't.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Um, he never tells them to lose weight. Quite the opposite, makes them comfy with their weight

Fact.
I think that's the OP's point...that he shouldn't be making them comfortable with their weight, that they should be encouraged to lose weight (healthily) instead.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
My IT teacher in college always compared skinny girls to spanners because they have pointy edges poking out everywhere :p:

And why would my size have anything to do with who I like to sleep with? Would you ask a guy the same question?

I do wish people would sign their rep. It makes me sad when they don't.
Assuming it was neg rep - wasn't the intention to 'make you sad' anyway?
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
I think that's the OP's point...that he shouldn't be making them comfortable with their weight, that they should be encouraged to lose weight (healthily) instead.
Then OP seems to be rather prejudiced
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Gok Wan is absolutely fabulous and I think what he does is amazing. He takes one woman, who absolutely hates herself, and by the end of their journey together, she ends up loving what she's got.

I have no idea how people can dislike Gok Wan or his motives. He's a good guy who wants to make people look and feel better.

God help us, there's a gay man giving a woman a cuddle. Call the police, have him hung, drawn and quartered!!!!!!!! :|
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bete noire)
She did look pretty good last night, in the face at least.
wtf was i doing watching this? :rolleyes: srlly.

anyway, saw a few mins of the prog last night. The woman madeover would have been much better having brown-coloured hair, like a Natalie Portman with short hair. That's what i was thinking.

* gone :o: :rolleyes:

That woman had sizeable tits last night, awesome :cool:
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Fact.
Which is exactly the problem. He makes things worse.
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Apagg)
Which is exactly the problem. He makes things worse.
So you are saying they shouldn't be comfy with their weight.

How very sad of you
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

How very sad of you
Arguably a rather artificial form of happiness he's promoting/engineering?

It's not dealing with the real issues as such, rather dressing up problems/issues. Literally.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

How very sad of you
Well, yes I am. Being fat isn't healthy. I'm not happy when I've got a cold, I wouldn't be happy if I was fat. What makes it worse is that your weight is generally a direct result of your choices. You deserve no pity, and arguably even expecting tolerance of the demands your extra weight places on others is too much.
DeSiFiEd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gok Wan is a tool. Its sickening to see how women of our generation idolise him..yuck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.42%
No (90)
72.58%

Watched Threads