Are Students really all Drug Users? Watch

nadnerb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I honestly don't know anyone at my uni who does drugs, or at least they don't make it obvious.
But certainly none of my friends do anyway.
I guess it varies a lot on what course you do though as I know on my brothers Art degree loads of people took drugs for example.
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, well not that I know of, my friends etc are just sensible :confused:
Hooriya Qazal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am not into drugs at all..but 70% of the students in my A levels were all drug users!..
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's actually wrong with drugs? OOOOo yeah that's right... society says they are wrong.

But, oh hang on, didn't they also say that blacks and gays were wrong? Yer... so don't listen.

A 'naughty-drug' is the same as an 'allowed-drug', they're chemical compounds. If you don't like it, then that's cool. But don't slate it, because 110% of people slating it, haven't tried it.

Trying it doesn't make you a drug-dealer skank tramp binge junkie
aloof47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nope not a fan of these stuffs, but have friends who do all sorts, so yeah..personally, i hate smokers, but wouldnt mind a special brownie..hehe
lolimemma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not all students, infact most of the people I know don't do drugs but they are easily available and I know people on both ends of the scale i.e. some do loads of class A's, some have the odd spliff and the majority just stick to drinking.
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by philosophy_kid)
What's actually wrong with drugs? OOOOo yeah that's right... society says they are wrong.
As does Science.

But, oh hang on, didn't they also say that blacks and gays were wrong? Yer... so don't listen.
Logically, if they were wrong on two things they must be wrong on everything. I take your point.

What's actually wrong with drugs? OOOOo yeah A 'naughty-drug' is the same as an 'allowed-drug', they're chemical compounds.
Water is a chemical compound as is pure alcohol. It's okay to drink 1l of water so it must be okay to drink 1l of pure alcohol because they're both chemical compounds.

If you don't like it, then that's cool. But don't slate it, because 110% of people slating it, haven't tried it.
Likewise, 110% of people who slate genocide haven't tried it.

Do you know, I really like your way of thinking. You've convinced me to go out and buy some weed tonight.
Pimplebottom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

A 'naughty-drug' is the same as an 'allowed-drug', they're chemical compounds. If you don't like it, then that's cool. But don't slate it, because 110% of people slating it, haven't tried it.

Enough of the fuzzy logic now hombre.
Phantom Phoenix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Taking drugs isn't the same as racism! :p:

I don't take drugs because they're harmful to the body (or can be)...I don't understand why people would want to take something that can damage them. My objection to drugs is on the grounds of health, rather than what society tells me (if anything society is becoming more and more acclimatised to illegal drug usage). Likewise, I don't take painkillers unless I really, really need them, I don't smoke and I try to eat healthily. Other people can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned - I'm not going to try to change their minds, I just don't understand it.
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
As does Science.

Logically, if they were wrong on two things they must be wrong on everything. I take your point.

Water is a chemical compound as is pure alcohol. It's okay to drink 1l of water so it must be okay to drink 1l of pure alcohol because they're both chemical compounds.

Likewise, 110% of people who slate genocide haven't tried it.

Do you know, I really like your way of thinking. You've convinced me to go out and buy some weed tonight.

Ok lemme explain

Government was wrong on two things, yes. It was not my point to suggest that because they are wrong on two things that they are wrong on everything, but merely to point out that their reasoning is not infallible.

As for chemical compounds, I was suggesting that a 'drug' is not automatically fatal, because it is a drug.

And as for 110% I was exaggerating. Jeez lighten up Mr an*l

Big love x
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
Taking drugs isn't the same as racism! :p:

I don't take drugs because they're harmful to the body (or can be)...I don't understand why people would want to take something that can damage them. My objection to drugs is on the grounds of health, rather than what society tells me (if anything society is becoming more and more acclimatised to illegal drug usage). Likewise, I don't take painkillers unless I really, really need them, I don't smoke and I try to eat healthily. Other people can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned - I'm not going to try to change their minds, I just don't understand it.
No it isn't the same as racism. But blindly following an idea because someone says you should seems a pretty universal concept.

And yea... drugs can be harmful. SO can drinking 800 pints of water, or eating too much bad food... what's your point?

Like I said... moderation
electriic_ink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Government was wrong on two things, yes. It was not my point to suggest that because they are wrong on two things that they are wrong on everything, but merely to point out that their reasoning is not infallible.
It's not the Government's reasoning it's the scientists'.

As for chemical compounds, I was suggesting that a 'drug' is not automatically fatal, because it is a drug.
Of course it doesn't kill you automatically. It's a long and slow effect.

And as for 110% I was exaggerating. Jeez lighten up Mr an*l
Obviously you were exaggerating as 110% is a statistical impossibility.

:p:
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also I respect your view about not wanting to try But you say you can't understand.

Well, people risk their lives diving underwater, or rock climing, or whatever really - but all in aid of getting an experience that couldn't have had otherwise. I guess that for some people that is their reason for trying drugs.
Phantom Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it isn't the same as racism. But blindly following an idea because someone says you should seems a pretty universal concept.

And yea... drugs can be harmful. SO can drinking 800 pints of water, or eating too much bad food... what's your point?

Like I said... moderation
My point was that I avoid drugs because they can potentially cause harm to the body, I thought that was fairly obvious? Likewise, I would avoid drinking 800 pints of water. I don't really understand the comparison you're making; I said that I avoid eating unhealthy food for the same reason that I avoid drugs - to stay healthy.
.pushing.charlotte.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
weed FTW
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As does Science.
Huh, when did science start saying anything about political rights and wrongs?
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not the Government's reasoning it's the scientists'.

Of course it doesn't kill you automatically. It's a long and slow effect.

Obviously you were exaggerating as 110% is a statistical impossibility.

:p:

Please tell me how drug use is slow and painful??
Once again allow me to explain kiddo

Drugs cause no damage if you're careful. They are out of you're system pretty quick. Yeah, if you over do it you may get psychological damage, but them many other things may cause that too. How can you die from drugs?? Overdose, yea if you're stupid, but how many times must I say...

IN MODERATION!

Being fat and eating too many cakes WILL cause death.

SO perhaps we should ban cakes?
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For any open-minded people... if you're interest in anything that has been discussed in this programme

call frank! for a totally bias and opinionated view

alternatively see http://www.erowid.org for a balanced, truthful view.

Peace out x
electriic_ink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomber)
Huh, when did science start saying anything about political rights and wrongs?
Always. For instance, since 1908 it's been illegal for under 16s to smoke because it's damaging their lungs.
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Always. For instance, since 1908 it's been illegal for under 16s to smoke because it's damaging their lungs.
Er, no. That is a political decision taken by politicians using scientific evidence. Science simply provides the data - it is up to the politicians to use it (or ignore it as they frequently do with studies on drugs) for legislative purposes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (208)
18.55%
No (681)
60.75%
Not really bothered about them (232)
20.7%

Watched Threads