we would be two steps closer to world peace than we are now
How so?
Lilflipsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Ever hear of the Sino-Soviet Split? The Sino-Vietnamese War?
National interest is held above all by all the government, China, Soviet Union, Vietnam, they are once allies simply because they have a similar interest, or rather, a similar opponent. Yet when their own national interest conflicts with each other they would still fight like arch-enemies.

Maybe in 100 years Iran would be USA's closest ally....who knows
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lilflipsy)
National interest is held above all by all the government, China, Soviet Union, Vietnam, they are once allies simply because they have a similar interest, or rather, a similar opponent. Yet when their own national interest conflicts with each other they would still fight like arch-enemies.

Maybe in 100 years Iran would be USA's closest ally....who knows
Fifty years ago it was an ally.
sahil112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
america are the bad guys why cant iran have nuclear missiles when america has them?
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What sort of idiot thinks that decades of complex international and intra-regional relations can be broken down into concepts as simple as 'good' vs 'bad'.

If America is 'bad' does that make Iran 'good'? *******s it does.
matt2008
Report 10 years ago
Almost every problem in the East is caused by the West interfering and waging wars. No wonder there are so many terrorists. Just take the Iraq war for example. If I were a young muslim living in Iraq ( and by some miracle survived the suicide bombings exacerbated by the war) I'd find it extremely hard not to feel a lot of resentment. The 'war on terror' and every western interference is just breeding new generations of terrorists.
In no way am I saying I condone this, it's just that there will always be these kinds of people and it's no wonder they are getting pissed off.

( I know this is a bit off topic, but felt like a bit of a rant)
sahil112
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
What sort of idiot thinks that decades of complex international and intra-regional relations can be broken down into concepts as simple as 'good' vs 'bad'.

If America is 'bad' does that make Iran 'good'? *******s it does.
i agree but just for OP sake bad or good will do lol
safina96
Report 10 years ago
the american government is corrupts they let China, Russia, Isreal and a few other countries to have nuclear programs while they oppose to countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, well mostly muslim countries which is the so called 'war on terror.'
BadExaminee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No joke could be funnier than claiming Iran would nuclear-bomb Israel or the West. No country in the world (US included) has the guts to nuclear-bomb any other country right now because of the fear of retaliation from other countries. Plus, why should Iran be stopped from chasing nuclear weapons when Israel has loads of them? The US and Israel pose far more threat to the world than all of the world's "bad" regimes combined.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by donmcl777)
We are flooded by stories in our western media of Iranian nuclear programs, their threats towards isreal and the west and their oppressive society and mental leadership. However i seem to get the impression that America is constantly provoking them and coaxing them out to make the first move. From the build up of American forces on the Iraq/Iran border. to the constant tresspassing of Iranian territorial waters by coalition warships.

Who really are the bad guys????:confused:
Hehe this is good. Iraq wasn't about oil at all folks, it was about provoking Iran into making a first move so the USA could attack it.

On a more serious note, how has American provocation forced Iran to be a dictatorship, to secretly develop nuclear weapons, to attack coalition warships in International Waters, to oppress women and homosexuals.

And remember that here you have to be very careful lest you accidentally say what most of the people like you think - that non-Westerners are not capable of doing things for themselves and that everything they do is nothing but a reaction to Western action. That's racist don't ya know.
PeeWeeDan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are no bad guys or good guys in foreign policy, there is "good for us" and bad for us. Now certainly Iran are bad for us, and the US are good for us. So for us Iran are the bad guys. Frankly though, on a serious note, the prospect of Iran with nuclear weapons is dangerous to Israel - which makes them bad for me. Iran doesn't have to use nuclear weapons to destroy the State of Israel, it simply has to apply diplomatic pressure to non-nuclear European countries to disassociate from Israel. Turkey, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia etc. These groups will also move away from Israel. To appease the Iranians the US will supply less arms to Israel, reducing Israel's qualitative advantage. Before we know it, Syria, backed by Russia, has the military advantage. Iran, Syria and Lebanon swallow up Israel. And trust me, once the Lebanese get a hold of them, the Palestinians will be jealous of the days when Israel occupied them.

Domestically Iran's regime is absolutely vile. Their oppression of women and homosexuals is frankly disgusting, while the US has some of the best domestic human rights in the world, and liberties beyond Iran can even imagine. In this sense the US is more the "good guy" as well.
Beska
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sahil112
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
There are no bad guys or good guys in foreign policy, there is "good for us" and bad for us. Now certainly Iran are bad for us, and the US are good for us. So for us Iran are the bad guys. Frankly though, on a serious note, the prospect of Iran with nuclear weapons is dangerous to Israel - which makes them bad for me. Iran doesn't have to use nuclear weapons to destroy the State of Israel, it simply has to apply diplomatic pressure to non-nuclear European countries to disassociate from Israel. Turkey, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia etc. These groups will also move away from Israel. To appease the Iranians the US will supply less arms to Israel, reducing Israel's qualitative advantage. Before we know it, Syria, backed by Russia, has the military advantage. Iran, Syria and Lebanon swallow up Israel. And trust me, once the Lebanese get a hold of them, the Palestinians will be jealous of the days when Israel occupied them.

Domestically Iran's regime is absolutely vile. Their oppression of women and homosexuals is frankly disgusting, while the US has some of the best domestic human rights in the world, and liberties beyond Iran can even imagine. In this sense the US is more the "good guy" as well.
why do you have nucleur weapons then?
abu.10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think iran like to take the piss out of america. they want to give the US a reason to invade iran... and when they do iran won't have any nuclear weapons and america will be wrong again!
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sahil112)
Quite bluntly, because America is generally more mature than Iran.
PeeWeeDan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sahil112)
Frankly I'd rather no one have nuclear weapons, but as we do there's nothing that can be done about it. We don't use them, and don't even declare them, so it is quite irrelevant.
sahil112
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Melancholy)
in what ways isit mature?
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by donmcl777)
I see your point, it never really is good or bad, but i can see how Irans point of view is watered down by our media before it reaches britain or America
Welcome to politics.
sahil112
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
Frankly I'd rather no one have nuclear weapons, but as we do there's nothing that can be done about it. We don't use them, and don't even declare them, so it is quite irrelevant.
iran hasnt declared to use them either so there is no problem.
abu.10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Melancholy)
America is the only country to use a nuclear weapon in war.... when has iran even used one... and even if they were going to use one they would not brag about it. iran is all talk!! and america is not mature!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads