Enrichment Activities Help!?! Watch

London271
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow, my sixth form do not offer any enrichment activities! you are very luck to have the opputunity to do any of them!
Amit92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Vjyrik)
Amazing.
I'd obviously go for Maths XL; and less obviously for Latin, Ballet, Mock Trial, Music Lessons.

:ditto:
I've not seen a list as such at mine...

I'm soooo jealous!

The 6th Form im going to is like the 2nd best college in the Borough that is probbley why Lol !

All the "XL" programs you see include AEA and extra qualifications to give you a good chance to get into a good University! I think I am going to most likely to go with "Maths XL" and "The Business Club (Entrepreneur)

I will read out the description for "Maths XL" & "The Business Club" so you guys can tell me what you think, also these Enrichment Activities are after school ! But I will be benefited in the long-term anyway.

Maths XL
Enjoy Mathematical puzzles?

Try - A bag contains 50 coins,whose total value is £1.81. Given that the bag contains only two pence and five pence, how many more five-pence coins than two-pence coins are there? A=4 B=6 C=8 D=10 E=12 (Circle the correct answer)The sessions will prepare you for: The UK senior maths challenge (the coin problem above was of last year's questions); the Advanced Extension Award (AEA) and STEP papers.

The Business Club (Entrepreneur)

Are you a budding entrepreneur? Think you have an excellent business idea?

This is a weekly drop in session for anyone currently running their own business or for anyone who thinks that working for themselves might be something they are interested in.

You will have the opportunity to chat with staff, use the facilities, get advice and speak to experts. We will try to turn your ideas into reality!

---

I think they both sound very good?

Thanks
Amit92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vjyrik)
:zomg: :gasp: :coma:

Only if my school encouraged me to do Further Maths... only if they supported me with preparation for AEA.... or STEP.... or even the maths challenge! I get nothing. Nil. :rant:And they are still looking at limiting my options, pfffft! :mad2:

Both of these are really excellent, and I think you should attend them! I think it would be even better if you did something more artsy (say, Latin or Music) on top of those two; although you do have quite a number of subjects to study (I'd change from Geography or Politics (or, preferably, if possible, General Studies) to Further Maths, as you said you're interested in Business/Economics side of things (where Further Maths looks very good to have, especially when aiming for a good uni!) as well as doing the Maths XL, as the package will require a lot of mathematical skills development).

Have fun. :mad:

I cannot do AS-level Further Maths because I missed an "A" grade at GCSE by a couple of marks,so im stuck with normal AS-level Maths :mad:
Priyanka1992
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OH MY GOD..we had a choice of like 12.
Hazel257
Report 10 years ago
They all sound great, just go for the one you think you'll enjoy most. What college are you going to btw?
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amit92)
Hey,

Well I wil be starting 6th Form College from next week and we have to sign-up to some Enrichment Programs but I don't know which ones to pick,the 6th Form said they would benefit us when applying for a University course? LOL

Here are the options...

Citizenship Group
Book Club
Law Society
Auditioning for Preforming Arts Schools
Badminton
Ballet (Beginners)
Ballet (Intermidiate)
Latin (Beginners)
Chamber Choir
Cheerleading
Chemistry XL
Chinese (Beginners)
Christian Union
College Ambassadors
Complementary Therapies
College Musical Production
Creative Writing
Circuit Training
Dance (Jazz)
Dance (Contemporary)
Debating Society
Dodge-Ball
Driving Theory Lessons
Duke of Edinburgh Award
English Language & Literature XL
Film Making
First Aid
Football
French Theatre
Jazz Band
Lacrosse
Life Drawing
Maths XL (STEP & AEA & UK Senior Maths Challenge)
Mountain Biking
Multi-Faith Encounters
Mock Trial (Solicitor & Barrister practise)
Music Lessons (Instrumental Tuition)
Music Technology (Beginners)
Music Technology (Advanced)
Netball
Photography Club
Rock Climbing Club
Rugby Union
Sign Language
Sociology Film Club
Spain - History, Language & Culture
The Business Club (Entrepreneur)
Trampolining
Volunter Work
VoiceBox (The College Magazine)
World Cinema (Critical Studies)

Has you can see I have a wide range of activites to choose from, we have to pick atleast one! We will find out more information about them next week at the Enrichment Fair!

Which activities do you think would benefit me most with my AS-levels which are Economics, Geography,Maths with Stats & Politics along with me wanting to go into a Economical/Finance related career?

Thanks
*suspicious*
And all of this is offered at your college?

Well, for economics/finance, then I would definitely suggest Maths XL. Business club may also be useful.

Beginners Spanish/ Chinese I think could possibly be a good one. Having some sort of knowledge of a foreign language is always beneficial, but I think it can look quite good to universities. Spanish would probably be the better option if you'd just want to go along, learn a little bit, then not come back to it, as it would be far easier than Chinese. I'm guessing you'd come away with a pretty basic level, but enough to get you by if on holiday or similar. Chinese I can't see you getting very far with if it's just an enrichment course.

Maybe you'd like to take a sport? It may not be directly related, or particularly "enrichment-y," but I think playing a sport regularly is always good for everyone.

Duke of Ediburgh award is well respected. It involves a sport, a service, a skill and an expedition, so you'll get a lot out of it.

I think they're all very good opportunities, and you're extremely lucky to have them. You'll do well with any of them, except perhaps
auditioning for performing arts schools,
citizenship group (sounds a bit... odd)
christian union (if not a Christian - pretty obvious)
driving theory (it'll come with driving lessons if you take them)

Looking through that list, there are about 20 that I'd absolutely love to do. My school offers a couple of sports, Young Enterprise and drama. Which isn't bad at all, but I'd love to have the selection you have....
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would do.... (if I wanted a career in finance) - volunteer work, debating society, the business club and one other random fun one, whichever you were interested in
Amit92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazel257)
They all sound great, just go for the one you think you'll enjoy most. What college are you going to btw?
I am going to Ashton 6th Form College if you have ever heard of it?

Thanks for all the comments/advice posted guys!
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am going to Ashton 6th Form College if you have ever heard of it?

Thanks for all the comments/advice posted guys!
Hi - I just left Ashton Sixth Form! You'll love the teachers and subjects on offer but I didn't find the people too friendly then again, I am socially ******ed lol :p:
h0lly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow that's a long list. All we get in mine is teaching PSHE to the younger years, hockey or netball
Amit92
Rep:
?
(Original post by xJessx)
Hi - I just left Ashton Sixth Form! You'll love the teachers and subjects on offer but I didn't find the people too friendly then again, I am socially ******ed lol :p:
Lol so your from A-U-L aswell LOL? What subjects did you do? At induction it seemed like a very friendly place aswell as big! The computers suck though,how they moniter what you do and your emails and the Print Credits crap! LOL
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol so your from A-U-L aswell LOL? What subjects did you do? At induction it seemed like a very friendly place aswell as big! The computers suck though,how they moniter what you do and your emails and the Print Credits crap! LOL
I did Law there and Spanish and Psychology at my main sixth form. The facilities there are awesome I thought - compared to what my other sixth form was like. We had 10 computers in the whole college and you couldn't even access half of the sites I needed because they were all banned. This thing came up saying 'computer says no'. :mad:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine. I think it was because I wasn't from their college and it was just a stupid bunch of girls in my class. My teacher was nice though :rolleyes: he made it bearable.
LottieB
Report 10 years ago
I have to say that your school has so many clubs - you're really lucky! I'm captain of the debating society at my school, and I'm told that it impresses universities - it's also a lot of fun!! Also, if you've never played lacrosse before, it's great fun and there's usually a really good 'teamy' feel on lacrosse teams
sheashea123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In our football enrichment,we had a proper team and I was in charge of picking it. Every wednesday people would be nice to me in the hope they would get in the team,I think i took it way to serious picking best team,captains tactics and all that.We won most weeks though.
Hercules
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mountain biking!!!, siccccccccckkkkkkknessssssssssss s
Veggiechic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow my college never had any societies! Although I did get to take part in Business Summer School, UK Skills Challenge and Business Dynamics course. I found they were useful to put on my CV and discuss at interviews.

I'm sure someone else probably said the same thing earlier, but just pick things that will complement your chosen degree. As long as you enjoy them and have enough time to do them. Any meaningful Extra curricular activities look good on a CV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (145)
45.74%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.26%