failing test with almost perfect driving :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hrov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
I indicated right at a mini roundabout when I was going right...

Personally I didn't understand this but then the instructor had the strongest welsh accent of anyone i've ever met.
??

I thought this was correct
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
No you didn't. The OP did though.
Was it the eyesight test you failed? :rolleyes:
20:20 dear

'pologies i'm a real literalist sometimes
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
??

I thought this was correct
So did I - I presume I misunderstood what he had said, but thought that trying to correct the examiner on his grammar probably wouldn't be a good idea
Jason2k6101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you gain only very few minor faults, then your driving must be reasonably smooth. The idea of achieving one serious fault does not negate the fact that your driving must be fairly good and well controlled if you gain few minors.

Still, you obviously have some improvements to make in terms of your judgement if you are gaining more than one serious fault each time.

On MY first driving test, I gained 13 minors and 1 serious fault. My driving was quite ropey and obviously not mastered very well.

On my second driving test, I only gained 3 minors, but also gained 3 serious faults (doh!). Now I can comfortably say that the smoothness of my driving had seriously improved during the time between my first and second tests. However, it was errors in my judgement (and my impatience, lol!) that earned me more serious faults the second time round.

Just keep practising. Experience comes with time, and it can't be rushed.
ahmadjan3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
^ Corrected title.
please read again sorry for not being clear
ahmadjan3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jason2k6101)
If you gain only very few minor faults, then your driving must be reasonably smooth. The idea of achieving one serious fault does not negate the fact that your driving must be fairly good and well controlled if you gain few minors.

Still, you obviously have some improvements to make in terms of your judgement if you are gaining more than one serious fault each time.

On MY first driving test, I gained 13 minors and 1 serious fault. My driving was quite ropey and obviously not mastered very well.

On my second driving test, I only gained 3 minors, but also gained 3 serious faults (doh!). Now I can comfortably say that the smoothness of my driving had seriously improved during the time between my first and second tests. However, it was errors in my judgement (and my impatience, lol!) that earned me more serious faults the second time round.

Just keep practising. Experience comes with time, and it can't be rushed.
i am also impatient and i drive fast normally and the serious i got was when i moved off slow and the car behind overtook me which is why i am annoyed
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ahmadjan3)
please read again sorry for not being clear
Oh okay. 1 serious mistake and 1 minor; not quite as bad.
manderton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
15 minors and 3 majors in 30 minutes would suggest otherwise...
the OP didn't get majors JC
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The driving test is terrible. If you're a competent driver it's almost entirely luck of the draw (and, funnily enough, they're soon going to tip the odds further in favour of you having to pay again, I believe). Just have to keep feeding them money until you get lucky.
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The exact same thing happened on my first test 3 minors, 1 major when pulling away. That really put me off -_- Like they say, the test you pass on is the one where you drive worst, i got 12 minors on the test i passed.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
I indicated right at a mini roundabout when I was going right...

Personally I didn't understand this but then the instructor had the strongest welsh accent of anyone i've ever met.
I failed my first driving test attempt because I "didn't cancel my indicator quickly enough"!! I was not a happy bunny... lol
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *sparkles*)
I failed my first driving test attempt because I "didn't cancel my indicator quickly enough"!! I was not a happy bunny... lol
But soon you will be able to sue that chappie for the mental scarring he gave you. Thats weird to be honest - I swear they can't fail you for that either!

They must just use a coin
ahmadjan3
Rep:
?
that is harsh you seem to get the same type of examiner as me

bloody ediot told me at the end "you drive very good" why fail me then if i drive good and it was only because of bad luck and stupid mistake
Jason2k6101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, you must have been gutted... Were you approaching another side-road that might have made your indication confusing? Because if not, then that was not a fair decision to give you a serious fault for that.

On my second test, I received one serious fault for moving off (I waited for three cars to pass by and then there was a large gap between those and the fourth. But apparently the forth car was speeding and caught me up when I had moved off), another for overtaking (there was a slow learner driver doing about 30mph on a single carriageway. I had NEVER overtaken before, and my instructor had never even touched on it - which is typical, because you're not expected to do so when learning. Unfortunately I cut back in, after overtaking, too closely to the car behind. I admit that I was rushing it because I was kinda freaked out by the oncoming traffic, lol!) and a third for doing something wrong at a junction.

Sigh...
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's crap, what if you was to let it self cancel? It's not a rule that you have to cancel it, you can just let it self cancel.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was a woman examiner, she has a reputation for being harsh though...
Apparently I could have caused confusion and therefore a dangerous situation! Grr!lol got it the second time though.
The lady who failed me failed someone else because she said "take the second left at the roundabout", so this guy put on his left indicator thinking he was going left. Anyway, turns out the second left was straight on (there are only 3exits, left, straight on and right- the examiner was being deliberately awkward!!) and she failed him too...
mitz247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To the OP, you say that ur observation should have been a minor, but maybe you reacated to late to a car coming or pedestrians in the area walking past or you didnt do any observation, that would mean it would be a major. Unlucky on failing though keep trying and you will get it eventually.

To be honest everyone who fails the driving test 1st feels that the reasons are actually stupid and you should have past but if you truley think about it then the majors would usually be justified ( like the signalling, if there was another turn comin up then it would be 'confusing' to other drivers) so just have to forget about it and move on
Kittten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's so annoying when you fail for something stupid. In my first test I had had no errors until I was about 150m from the test centre on the way back, when I drove through a red traffic light. I've never done anything quite that stupid before, and I was so annoyed about it. Passed 2nd time with no minors though.
Just keep trying OP. Get your parents to take you out driving a bit so you don't forget how to, then just before your test have a couple of lessons to bruch up on the stuff you've got into bad habits with.
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
ahmadjan so you're saying that your first major was for pulling out when there was a fast car incoming?

Sorry, but that's really bad. You can't just not look in the mirror whether you're nervous or not. That should be second nature, yo.

All the best for next time.
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was a woman examiner, she has a reputation for being harsh though...
Apparently I could have caused confusion and therefore a dangerous situation! Grr!lol got it the second time though.
The lady who failed me failed someone else because she said "take the second left at the roundabout", so this guy put on his left indicator thinking he was going left. Anyway, turns out the second left was straight on (there are only 3exits, left, straight on and right- the examiner was being deliberately awkward!!) and she failed him too...

As far as I know, he would've failed even if the second exit actually went left. You're only supposed to indicate left when you're taking the next exit, so putting it on before reaching passing the first is a fail.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (235)
27.36%
No (624)
72.64%

Watched Threads