Is anyone else forced to take 4 A2? Watch

Jerking My Gerking
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fangfufu)
so only state school does 4 A2, for more fundings? i feel i am getting this impression.
:yep:
Zerodos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drummer23)
Fair enough. =p

I've probs been looking at the wrong courses, but ouch if it's that hard for maths people... =(
HAHA you are generally right though. MOst places dont judge on 4 however providin you still get the best grades you can it cant hurt to have 4 i suppose
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm one of only two people I know who's done 4 A2s at my sixth form (not including Critical Thinking).People aren't really encouraged to do four A2s , but they will allow for it in the timetables.Interesting comments regarding state funding because we were instead forced to do CoPE (ASDAN certificate of personal effectiveness , just a skills thing)for the same reasons.Needless to say that there weren't many completed portfolios (including mine!).
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No though my Physics teacher didnt half try
Chrrye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GlitterGlue)
We're very strongly encouraged/half-forced into taking only 3.

Keeps their precious grade average up.
See our school made us do 4+ presumably to keep the overall UCAS points very high.
Damn schools..
MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report 10 years ago
My school allowed us to sit three, but we were made to continue General Studies if we did. Instead, I studied all four subjects, and was allowed to drop General Studies
upturnedpalms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not forced, but I'm doing it anyway. Most people do three at my school; I might end up amongst them if my laziness outweighs my will to do French.
jkyng1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think the school should let students choose thier own. not force. but i'd say if you manage the workload don't see the point of dropping one..
Albangura
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chantalcompowder)
nope just 3, and i'm not at a state sixth form
how did you manage to get a C in English Lit, and a distinction in AEA? That is mental. Anyway at mine (grammar school) you are not forced but encouraged to go on with all 4 (not including GS)
King4eva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i was forced to take 3 becuase i didnt do well in my 4th subject at AS level
FrustratedHistorian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Purely out of choice however if i can't make that transition between AS to A2 successfully & i'm slipping grades then dropping a subject is a must.
jkyng1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no point to do general studies when the unis actually don't count it.
Bugzy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drummer23)
They really don't... I've not seen a single establishment offer on 4.
I've seen and heard of quite a few 4 A-Level, 1 AS Grade offers.

Failing that, 4 A-Level offers are quite common for the most competitive courses.
Chantalcompowder
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Albangura)
how did you manage to get a C in English Lit, and a distinction in AEA? That is mental. Anyway at mine (grammar school) you are not forced but encouraged to go on with all 4 (not including GS)
don't know about the AEA thing, total fluke on the AEA paper, and a really bad day on AS exam day. ah well it just means that i'm expected to do really well on retakes...
tuesday91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We are 'encouraged' to do 4 A2s. So that's pretty much definately unless you really have to drop one. Quite a few do 5 as well, if they continue with Critical Thinking.
Simplyobsessed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ours is 4 at AS, then 3/4 at A2
beesbees
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Na, most do three at mine...
LottieB
Report 10 years ago
We're forced to at my school - you either do three academic studies + general studies or four academic + no general studies - not great, but good when you're competing for uni places.
tinytilly
Report 10 years ago
thats really stupid. everyone I know who has got into oxbridge has only done 3 surely it doesn't matter and I've never heard of a school doing that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1529)
79.26%
Leave (400)
20.74%

Watched Threads