confused about reapplying Watch

crazyhelicopter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dilipd)
My backup choice would be pharmacy but i spoke to several admissions tutors and although they said it was appealing to have the amount of w/e i have in a caring environment i would need to get more that was directly relevant to pharmacy. tbh i really dont want to do anything else after having tried this hard to get in and i think i will apply 4 med courses and one pharmacy.

i can't see anything that was wrong with my application apart from my reference so maybe that was the problem. i had a lot of people check my ps to the point where it wasn't mine so i'll have to make alterations on that. would it hinder my application if i got a job as a retail assistant instead of a HCA because i've done a year working as a HCA already, a year in a nursing home and tbh i didn't really enjoy the HCA job that much? It opened my eyes to a lot of things but it just wasn't what i was expecting it to be. Does anyone know who this forum member is who got 4 rejections and applied with the exact same application and got offers?
Try to get medical work experience too so you can talk about what the job actually entails
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
would it hinder my application if i got a job as a retail assistant instead of a HCA because i've done a year working as a HCA already, a year in a nursing home and tbh i didn't really enjoy the HCA job that much?
Maybe you could get a job in boots or another pharmacy. It is retail in a way but it is relevant to medicine and pharmacy aspecialy if you get a chance to train to become a dispencer.
crazyhelicopter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by belis)
Maybe you could get a job in boots or another pharmacy. It is retail in a way but it is relevant to medicine and pharmacy aspecialy if you get a chance to train to become a dispencer.
good plan, and gives you a chance to see if you like pharmacy
AWZC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazyhelicopter)
All medical schools are good and all are extremely competitive! As an example in 2006 (the easiest data I could find) Peninsula has 9 applicants per place, Cambridge 4.8.

OP- If medicine is really what you want to do, apply again. But you have to face the prospect of being rejected. Get lots of work experience, good reference, PS etc and you'll have the same chance as any other worthy applicant. Don't select places based on them being the easiest plase to get into, because there is no such thing as a less competitive medical school!
Yes, there is such a thing as a less competetive medical school. I'm not saying its not competitive - there is a difference between the two expressions. Plus, your statistics fail to take into account the level of ability of students applying. I think everyone would agree that Cambridge is far more competitive becaus you are up against the very best, as only those that truly excel will apply. Also, your data is flawed in that PMS will give almost double the amounts of offers per place as it knows that most other med schools will be chosen above it, whereas Cambridge give almost the same amount as places as it will nearly always be someones firm choice. I agree with your advice on work experience etc, but believe me there is such a thing as a less competitive med school, and by finding these you stand a much greater chance of winning a place.
crazyhelicopter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AWZC)
I'm not saying its not competitive - there is a difference between the two expressions. Plus, your statistics fail to take into account the level of ability of students applying. I think everyone would agree that Cambridge is far more competitive because you are up against the very best, as only those that truly excel will apply.
Fewer applicants, therefore if you meet the criteria you are more likely to get an offer. Cambridge is far less competitive because less people apply. Find me statistics to say otherwise and I'll gladly retract my statement. There is no such thing as a less competitive medical school, they are all equally competitive unless you look at Oxbridge and BSMS (Oxbridge always the lowest, BSMS always the highest)- the other places have the number of applicants per place changing more regularly as misinformed people select places with fewer applicants to apply to. So, if you have the grades and apply to Oxbridge you will be more likely to receive an offer than someone applying to say UCL or Barts (Chosen because they now have the same baseline grades)

Also, your data is flawed in that PMS will give almost double the amounts of offers per place as it knows that most other med schools will be chosen above it, whereas Cambridge give almost the same amount as places as it will nearly always be someones firm choice.
It has more applicants, so the percentage given offers will be the same. Cambridge will also give more offers than places available so when people mess up A levels they aren't under subscribed
AWZC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fewer applicants, therefore if you meet the criteria you are more likely to get an offer. Cambridge is far less competitive because less people apply. Find me statistics to say otherwise and I'll gladly retract my statement. There is no such thing as a less competitive medical school, they are all equally competitive unless you look at Oxbridge and BSMS (Oxbridge always the lowest, BSMS always the highest)- the other places have the number of applicants per place changing more regularly as misinformed people select places with fewer applicants to apply to. So, if you have the grades and apply to Oxbridge you will be more likely to receive an offer than someone applying to say UCL or Barts (Chosen because they now have the same baseline grades)

It has more applicants, so the percentage given offers will be the same. Cambridge will also give more offers than places available so when people mess up A levels they aren't under subscribed
Look - if you argue against me PLEASE read my argument first, its clear you didn't last time. Once again, those applying to Oxbridge are generally of a higher calibre then those applying to PMS. Therefore it is more competitive - even if you meet the criteria, as with Oxbridge only those who are confident that they meet the criteria will generally apply. Comprendez-vous? Also, the % given offers will not be the same. To restate what I have already said, Cambridge will give far less offers per place then PMS, because a person getting an offer from Cambridge will almost never turn it down, where as a person getting an offer from PMS may well turn it down if they get 3+ offers (I am living proof of that fact). So PMS give MORE offers per place then Cambridge. Also, you say there is not such a thing as a less competitive med school. BS. Pure BS. By this statement you are implying that the same % of candidates in every single med school get offers - if you truly believe this you are an imbecile, if you don't then you haven't thought your point through. Also, your use of 2006 stats is a woefully ignorant move on your behalf as it betrays your inexperience - if you knew much about applying for medicine you would know that these statistics wildly vary from year to year as applicants try to predict where's best to apply based on previous years statistics.

I am sorry about the rant, I generally try to help people here that don't know too much about the application process as I know how stressful it can be. However the fact that you try to present your arguments as fact when it is painfully obvious that they are based on a limited knowledge of applying to medical schools annoys me - this forum is to help people get into medical school, not to try and look intelligent by presenting hearsay and assumptions as truth.
lyverbyrd
Report 10 years ago
@AWZC: "Also, your data is flawed in that PMS will give almost double the amounts of offers per place as it knows that most other med schools will be chosen above it,"

I can't let this pass. I have four As at A level, a UKCAT of over 700 and chose PMS above two other good offers. It completely won me over on the visit, I loved what I have seen and heard about the course, and it got a very good rap from students and staff I talked to. Yes, it is a new set-up, but very very sound and definitely going places.

I'm rather baffled at the "knocking" of this medical school that goes on. Fair enough that you didn't pick it yourself: luckily there is a big range of schools and types of course available, and each to their own. It just comes across as a bit sad that you go on and on about it, rather than just being secure in your own choice to go elsewhere and respecting of others.
AWZC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lyverbyrd)
@AWZC: "Also, your data is flawed in that PMS will give almost double the amounts of offers per place as it knows that most other med schools will be chosen above it,"

I can't let this pass. I have four As at A level, a UKCAT of over 700 and chose PMS above two other good offers. It completely won me over on the visit, I loved what I have seen and heard about the course, and it got a very good rap from students and staff I talked to. Yes, it is a new set-up, but very very sound and definitely going places.

I'm rather baffled at the "knocking" of this medical school that goes on. Fair enough that you didn't pick it yourself: luckily there is a big range of schools and types of course available, and each to their own. It just comes across as a bit sad that you go on and on about it, rather than just being secure in your own choice to go elsewhere and respecting of others.
I'm not knocking it, I applied there, and I've recommended it to the OP as an example of a med school easier to get into then some others. I also thought it was a good medical school and would have been happy there, I am just trying to explain that some med schools are less competitive then others. If you disagree with PMS then fine, what about Keele or Cardiff.

Please undestand, the point I am endeavouring to get across is that the OP can improve his chances of getting into med school by applying to certain unis. Why are some people so strongly against this?
xbabydeex
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im in a similar position, I applied for medicine this year, got 4 rejections without interviews and am 21 now. But I'm still going to reapply this year, but also apply for another degree as I know I might not get in again. Don't worry about the age thing, I'm 21 now and I'll be 22 when I reapply! I know it feels like you've wasted time when you could already have a degree but don't worry, you really haven't! Some schools can see it as a positive thing being slightly older when starting the degree as you're likely to be more mature and maybe more motivated (although I'm not saying that applicants straight from school aren't motivated!!!)
crazyhelicopter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AWZC)
Look - if you argue against me PLEASE read my argument first, its clear you didn't last time. Once again, those applying to Oxbridge are generally of a higher calibre then those applying to PMS. Therefore it is more competitive - even if you meet the criteria, as with Oxbridge only those who are confident that they meet the criteria will generally apply.
Rather depends on the definition of competitive don't you think??? If you apply to Cambridge, because you have the grades, you are more likely to get an offer than if you apply to anywhere else

Also, you say there is not such a thing as a less competitive med school. BS. Pure BS. By this statement you are implying that the same % of candidates in every single med school get offers - if you truly believe this you are an imbecile, if you don't then you haven't thought your point through.
Read the above and see what I mean! Competitive depends on the definition- you obviously believe the competitiveness of a place is based on the grades needed to apply. I base it on the number of applicants. The percentage of applicants given offers won't vary hugely place to place. If you have evidence to dispute this then show me!

Also, your use of 2006 stats is a woefully ignorant move on your behalf as it betrays your inexperience - if you knew much about applying for medicine you would know that these statistics wildly vary from year to year as applicants try to predict where's best to apply based on previous years statistics.
If you bother to read my previous post you will see that I mentioned this trend

I am sorry about the rant, I generally try to help people here that don't know too much about the application process as I know how stressful it can be.
As do I

However the fact that you try to present your arguments as fact when it is painfully obvious that they are based on a limited knowledge of applying to medical schools annoys me - this forum is to help people get into medical school, not to try and look intelligent by presenting hearsay and assumptions as truth.
They are based on as much fact as your arguements if not more

Edit: you do realise that you're contridicing yourself when you say PMS give out double the number of offers so are less competitive. They have over double the number of applicants, so therefore, percentagewise give out a similar number of offers to Oxbridge if not less
AWZC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rather depends on the definition of competitive don't you think??? If you apply to Cambridge, because you have the grades, you are more likely to get an offer than if you apply to anywhere else
The OP has the same grades whether he applies for Cambridge or PMS, so that argument is null and void.

Read the above and see what I mean! Competitive depends on the definition- you obviously believe the competitiveness of a place is based on the grades needed to apply. I base it on the number of applicants. The percentage of applicants given offers won't vary hugely place to place. If you have evidence to dispute this then show me!
I didn't mention grades there once. But lets go by your definition of 'competitive' then which seems to be number of applicants per place (which as I have stated is flawed but will suffice for my point here). You maintain that no med school is less competitive; by this you imply that every medical school has exactly the same ratio of applicants per place. Look at your statistics, they show this to be false.

Edit: you do realise that you're contridicing yourself when you say PMS give out double the number of offers so are less competitive. They have over double the number of applicants, so therefore, percentagewise give out a similar number of offers to Oxbridge if not less
No they don't. Not anywhere near double the applicants. And here is my key point; please try to follow it. Lets say person A applies to Cambridge and PMS. At Cambridge, the applicant to place ratio is around 5:1. At PMS its more like 10:1. However, where do you think person A is going to meet stiffer competition for each place? It is going to be Cambridge, better people apply there and so generally person A is going to find it a lot harder to get the place. Also, lets look at the number of applicants:OFFER ratio. For cambridge this is a little bit over 5:1; as I have already explained, Cambridge know less people will turn down there offer (hardly anyone would). PMS however have a number of applicantffer ratio of about 6:1 (we were told at the interview) since people are more likely to turn down a PMS offer or put it as an insurance if they have another offer, so PMS have to give out more offers tofill up the available spaces. Therefore, these two key factors mean that some med schools like PMS are less competitive then those like Cambridge. Don't let the statistics mislead you
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're both fighting a losing battle. You can't compare the difficulty of getting into Oxbridge with other medical schools - the admissions processes are too different. Gaining a place at Oxbridge to study medicine is almost solely reliant on academic ability - the fact that exam and test results are the only criteria considered when selecting for interview at Oxford is a case in point. Other medical schools have much more rounded and less academically-fixated admissions criteria. There are quite a few people knocking around on this forum with Oxbridge offers but three other rejections that illustrate this point well.

For 2008 entry PMS only interviewed those predicted to achieve three As at A Level. If you were predicted 3 As you had a very good chance of getting in - therefore the applicantslace ratio means recisely nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.55%
No (476)
72.45%

Watched Threads